Page 556 of 851 FirstFirst ... 56456506546554555556557558566606656 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,560 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Worked one-on-one all day today with Mr. "My hair's not curly, it just does this." He's cute!

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Also experiment with adding conditioner back in after you're done washing. Leaving conditioner in my hair encourages the curl while offering a bit of weight (esp. if I add a few drops of oil to it).
    Thanks. I don't know if it was this or if yesterday was just some freak accident but it seems to have calmed down a bit. Maybe my hair was just in shock from suddenly being able to run free. It's still a lot wurlier/curlier than it used to be though!

Is there a selftrimming method that you know of for cutting wurly/curly hair so it falls nicer? From what I read, the cut makes a lot of difference and there should be some layering but not too much?
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MinderMutsig View Post
    Is there a selftrimming method that you know of for cutting wurly/curly hair so it falls nicer? From what I read, the cut makes a lot of difference and there should be some layering but not too much?
    I know the Curly Girl book has info about cutting, but I'm not sure about the layering. I've grown out my layers, so I just whack a bit off the ends every now and then when the damage is too annoying.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    I know the Curly Girl book has info about cutting, but I'm not sure about the layering. I've grown out my layers, so I just whack a bit off the ends every now and then when the damage is too annoying.
    Thanks again, I'll look into that.

I don't want a lot of layers and I want them very long. On my APL hair I figured maybe the last 5-10 cm? Definitely below shoulder for the shortest layer. Just enough to take some weight off the ends in the back to help the curls.

I just did a small layered trim by using a method I found on youtube where you wet your hair (I just drenched it in almond oil) and then part it all the way down the middle and then tilt your head forward and comb everything straight down to the floor so it hangs like a curtain around your head. The farther you tilt, the shorter the top layers are going to be. Then you trim in a straight line all the way across. You start with the front part (bangs) to create a guide and then use that to trim all the way around until you've cut everything. You have to be very careful not to cut too much in the front because it's easy to make ear length layers with this method. I'd rather repeat the process multiple times than cutting too much and having to grow out such short layers!

I just did a slight dusting for the most part and cut maybe 1 1/2 cm in the front with my hair at an approx. 45 degree angle from my body because I just wanted to see how it would work out. It seems to work quite well and it created a nice U-shaped slightly layered cut. I might have to go back and cut the layers a bit shorter and I did have to go around my head checking the individual clumped curls and wurls to see if they fell nicely and some of them had an extra snip but overall I'm very pleased. Thank goodness waves, wurls and curls are pretty forgiving when it comes to uneven cuts though. I don't think I'd have the guts to do this on very straight hair.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I read about plopping and how it helps define curls but won't that make the monster even bigger? It would be great if I could sleep in something like that though. I'll give that a try next washday. Thanks!

Microfiber towels make my hair frizzy because they take out too much moisture too fast. A T-shirt works better for me.

I'll try to get some but I have to figure out a way to keep my face off the pics.

Since you like to dry in a t-shirt, you can also plop your hair in it. If the plop is too big too sleep comfortably, just do most of the drying in the t-shirt, then bundle your hair in a slumber cap to sleep. Plopping doesn't necessarily make your curls "bigger" just more defined. You can put your product in before plopping.

Length
    Pixie/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Discovering leaving in conditioner or oil was a godsend as far as looks are concerned, but now I dislike the feel of my hair. when it's wet it feels heavy and like a lump of velcro...

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I don't want a lot of layers and I want them very long. On my APL hair I figured maybe the last 5-10 cm? Definitely below shoulder for the shortest layer.

I second that ... all layers past shoulder is actually my next length goal, more important to me than the hemline!

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    I second that ... all layers past shoulder is actually my next length goal, more important to me than the hemline!
    I've been reading a lot on Naturally Curly for the past few days and the problem with layers and curly/wurly hair is that some stylists cut the layers at a 90 degree angle (from your body, so parallel to the floor) like they would for straight haired women. This creates a lot of length difference and a lot of layers which in turn create a lot of volume. With curly hair this means you will end up with a mushroom head.

Curly/wurly hair needs to be layered at a 45 degree angle or it will be too much. 45 degrees gives you a nice bit of bounce at the bottom and volume and the top without making you look like a mushroom with a mullet.

Length
    15/28/MB/35/HL
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii/iii

Hey, I also need advice about trimming. I think I need a trim, and I would like to start doing it myself, but I don't know which method would be best.
    I have the Curly Girl book, so I could do that method, or I could try MinderMutsig's method. I could also straighten it, which I've been thinking about doing for a while to find out the length, and then look for a tutorial on the LHC.
    I would like to get rid of any damage and maybe gently layer it. Any advice, or should I even start a separate thread? Thanks in advance guys.

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Hermione View Post
    Hey, I also need advice about trimming. I think I need a trim, and I would like to start doing it myself, but I don't know which method would be best.
    I have the Curly Girl book, so I could do that method, or I could try MinderMutsig's method. I could also straighten it, which I've been thinking about doing for a while to find out the length, and then look for a tutorial on the LHC.
    I would like to get rid of any damage and maybe gently layer it. Any advice, or should I even start a separate thread? Thanks in advance guys.
    The nice thing about curly hair is it's very forgiving of an uneven hemline. I've chopped off my damaged ends three times since joining here using Feye's Self-Trim Method. I wouldn't, however, attempt to give myself layers -- leave that to someone with experience. Layers gone wrong on a curly = bad, bad things that take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to grow out.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro