Page 529 of 851 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531539579629 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Katsrevenge, you can try doing the amla on its own instead of mixing with henna. I haven't tried this, I hear this doesn't change the color, just restores your curls. I was scared to do that because I though the acidity of amla would be drying for my hair. I thought it is ok to use it with henna because it just provides the acidity henna needs.

Mallorykay, the curly girl method made my wavy hair curlier. Also layers make my hair look curlier and I get more volume, but getting a haircut is a little risky when you don't know the outcome.

Length
    22APL/28WSL/Class
    Type
    3b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by katsrevenge View Post
    I'm still thinking protein may be your thing. Does your hair like egg/honey/mayo treatments? Oh, and some people swear by deep oil soaks overnight and CO wash the next morning. I have done the mayo thing, wash that out with conditioner, oil it, and go to bed to CWC and it does wonders for floofy fizz. But I have more hair.. hmm.. I really wish you had a picture. I have you typed as similar to my BF's Mum but she does horrible things with straightners and chemical ladden aftercare too. She is Afro-American, thin, fine hair, and prolly a 3b/4a.
    The egg/honey/oil thing did leave my hair feeling soft and shiny, I was just so irritated by the loss of my waxy coating. :/ I'll try to hit Sally's this evening, to find out if they have any inexpensive protein treatments I can try.

My hair has never required chemicals to straighten. I did it once, and it was horrible-- I ended up shaving it off shortly thereafter, it looked and felt that bad. I've never had success straightening with a blow-dryer, that left me a frizzy mess (something I tried a handful of times), but with a curling iron my hair can be indistinguishable from naturally straight hair (I tend to do less straightening on the under-layers so I can keep some body, because it will lie horribly flat if I don't). When I put my hair into a bun and take it out, it will be stick-straight on top and slightly wavy to straight in the bun part. I'm left with whatever strands weren't long enough to get into the bun and/or were missed being curly and something that looks like hat hair, only it goes all the way to the nape of my neck (where I usually make my buns).

I generally love my hair, though. Except for times like this, when it is too fine to really work with, it will do damn near anything I want it to do. I can wear it straight, wavy, or curly, I love the color. . . I'm actually kind of vain about it. The waxy build-up made it less prone to tangle and even better behaved, provided I didn't mess with it too much once I was finished combing (which I only do while my hair is wet, because it's impossible otherwise).

How many posts do you need to post pictures? My camera isn't working right now and I'm not on my own computer (the beast is out for repairs), but I'm sure I have pictures online which can illustrate some of my hair traits.

Buggers are pricey. I think I know what you are talking about. Worst thing about them is they overcharge for what should be cheap! With me.. it ain't the clip.. it is the hairball I have.

A spin pin is this thing HERE. Amish hair pins are these HERE. Basically, a U shaped thing. If you are crafty, you can make one out of a small metal knitting double point needle.
    Oooh, yes, I've seen those. My kids' grandparents live in Amish country (not just the area, I mean their 'neighborhood', if it could be called that, is at least 60% Amish) and I pass an Amish store each week when I take the kids down to see their grandparents. Those hair pins look like they'd slide right out of my hair, though. The spin pins might work, but $6 is on the expensive side for me (have I mentioned that I'm really poor? ), especially considering that I'm not sure my hair is long/thick enough to make good use of them. In a few more inches, though, I'll give them a go.

And.. as for chopsticks.. I make my own from old takeout sticks from Chinese places. Just cut them to size, shape and sharpen an end, sand flat and paint with nail polish. I actually posted about them on my blog because I have no life. It is a how-to.. if you've never done that yourself. (Probably have, but you never know.)

And I hate scrunchies too. As a child of the 80s I've put my time in with them!
    Clever person! I've made knitting needles that way, but for some reason I never thought to make my own hair sticks. *shrug* I have used orange sticks in the past (the kind that they sell for fingernails), but they were kind of rough even after filing (though I never bothered painting them with nail polish first, d'oh!).

My daughter is just discovering scrunchies thanks to my own 80's-based complex. *lol* She recently received some hand-me-down girly things from a friend of mine, pulled out the scrunchie and asked, "What's this, some kind of fluffy bracelet?" *lol* She was tickled to find out she could put it in her hair. It was a reminder not to project my own traumas onto my children. *lol*

I don't get out enough either. Gas=$$$ and the bus system here is laughable. :/
    Yeah, every now and then I see a bus around here but it honestly seems totally random to me. There certainly isn't a bus system to get me around town, and walking more than a few blocks with four small kids is a PITA. :/ Being poor is no fun.

Length
    2in/43/42!
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by emelnd View Post
    Katsrevenge, you can try doing the amla on its own instead of mixing with henna. I haven't tried this, I hear this doesn't change the color, just restores your curls. I was scared to do that because I though the acidity of amla would be drying for my hair. I thought it is ok to use it with henna because it just provides the acidity henna needs.
    I will have to get my hands on some. I probably won't get the virgin hair curls (my hair was color treated once before the henna) back and I'm just growing it out anyways.. but the curls are mine and seeing them go makes me a bit sad.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowHawk View Post
    The egg/honey/oil thing did leave my hair feeling soft and shiny, I was just so irritated by the loss of my waxy coating. :/ I'll try to hit Sally's this evening, to find out if they have any inexpensive protein treatments I can try.
    Hask placenta leave in is good and fairly cheap. I've got some in the bathroom. Got it from a wall mart actually.

My hair has never required chemicals to straighten. I did it once, and it was horrible-- I ended up shaving it off shortly thereafter, it looked and felt that bad. I've never had success straightening with a blow-dryer, that left me a frizzy mess (something I tried a handful of times), but with a curling iron my hair can be indistinguishable from naturally straight hair (I tend to do less straightening on the under-layers so I can keep some body, because it will lie horribly flat if I don't). When I put my hair into a bun and take it out, it will be stick-straight on top and slightly wavy to straight in the bun part. I'm left with whatever strands weren't long enough to get into the bun and/or were missed being curly and something that looks like hat hair, only it goes all the way to the nape of my neck (where I usually make my buns).
    If her hair was longer I bet it would do the same. It is baby fine. She keeps it really short. B's sister also has thin hair. Since both B and his brother (and their dad) all have thicker, coarser hair I am left thinking it was whatever they do to it to make it straight. Or, it is weird genetics.

I generally love my hair, though. Except for times like this, when it is too fine to really work with, it will do damn near anything I want it to do. I can wear it straight, wavy, or curly, I love the color. . . I'm actually kind of vain about it. The waxy build-up made it less prone to tangle and even better behaved, provided I didn't mess with it too much once I was finished combing (which I only do while my hair is wet, because it's impossible otherwise).
    Same here. Love the hairs... most of the time. Since you can't henna or use cassia.. what about this? It is Zizyphus Spina Christi. It supposedly:

Zizyphus Spina Christi is ideal for:
    • people who have light colored hair and would like the conditioning of henna, but with no color change
    • people who can't use any soap or detergent to wash their hair.
    • people who have fine, limp hair and would like more thickness and texture
    • people whose hair needs extra protection from water, sun and dust
    I've been looking for something for my gram... I think this may be it.. as she does not want a head of fiery red.

How many posts do you need to post pictures? My camera isn't working right now and I'm not on my own computer (the beast is out for repairs), but I'm sure I have pictures online which can illustrate some of my hair traits.
    25 I think..? And a mod has to look at your posts to know you aren't a creeper.

Oooh, yes, I've seen those. My kids' grandparents live in Amish country (not just the area, I mean their 'neighborhood', if it could be called that, is at least 60% Amish) and I pass an Amish store each week when I take the kids down to see their grandparents. Those hair pins look like they'd slide right out of my hair, though. The spin pins might work, but $6 is on the expensive side for me (have I mentioned that I'm really poor? ), especially considering that I'm not sure my hair is long/thick enough to make good use of them. In a few more inches, though, I'll give them a go.
    They make minis too. I've been looking for the big uns for a while but haven't seen them; or when I have I didn't have the extra cash on hand for them. (I'm broke too, makes me sad stores don't do barter!)

Clever person! I've made knitting needles that way, but for some reason I never thought to make my own hair sticks. *shrug* I have used orange sticks in the past (the kind that they sell for fingernails), but they were kind of rough even after filing (though I never bothered painting them with nail polish first, d'oh!).
    ...but if no nail polish then how will they be glittery..?

[quote]My daughter is just discovering scrunchies thanks to my own 80's-based complex. *lol* She recently received some hand-me-down girly things from a friend of mine, pulled out the scrunchie and asked, "What's this, some kind of fluffy bracelet?" *lol* She was tickled to find out she could put it in her hair. It was a reminder not to project my own traumas onto my children. *lol*[quote]

To each their own with that. No foofy scrunchy will set ruffle in my home. It can stay outside. Snap bracelets may come in however.

Yeah, every now and then I see a bus around here but it honestly seems totally random to me. There certainly isn't a bus system to get me around town, and walking more than a few blocks with four small kids is a PITA. :/ Being poor is no fun.
    Agreed. The buses must have some reason to them but they just don't seem to around here. No kids here but I can see how that would be annoying. Sounds horrible, but my sister used to threaten to hang her spawn on the bathroom door (so she could shop in peace) by his beltloops because he was such a pain in a store. (Thieving, screaming, yelling, running off.. all of it.. he was a devil-boy from 2 to 3.5) Compromise was reached via a monkey backpack with a built in leash...

Length
    3/26/45
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Oh my goodness Gru! I sported something simular to that during middle school. Only, my hair had a lot of layers in it (short ones on top). I have to admit though, I fought endlessly with a brush every morning with it (creating more poof than needed to be for that same effect that you had without brushing at all). I never did win. Lol....
    Grow, grow grow........

Length
    22APL/28WSL/Class
    Type
    3b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by katsrevenge View Post
    Hask placenta leave in is good and fairly cheap. I've got some in the bathroom. Got it from a wall mart actually.
    Sweet.

Same here. Love the hairs... most of the time. Since you can't henna or use cassia.. what about this? It is Zizyphus Spina Christi. It supposedly:
    That may work! Yay, I'm excited. *hehe*

25 I think..? And a mod has to look at your posts to know you aren't a creeper.
    Neat. So do I need to message a moderator or some such?

...but if no nail polish then how will they be glittery..?
    Indeed. How foolish of me!

Agreed. The buses must have some reason to them but they just don't seem to around here. No kids here but I can see how that would be annoying. Sounds horrible, but my sister used to threaten to hang her spawn on the bathroom door (so she could shop in peace) by his beltloops because he was such a pain in a store. (Thieving, screaming, yelling, running off.. all of it.. he was a devil-boy from 2 to 3.5) Compromise was reached via a monkey backpack with a built in leash...
    Ugh!! My kids are actually pretty well behaved in stores, thank goodness. My oldest used to wander off to talk to people (he's always been very extroverted) but he never got into trouble or tantrumed or anything, he would usually show up a minute later holding a clerk's hand and chatting away about who knows what. They usually found him terribly amusing, he was a lot more mellow and fun than most lost children. I can't remember ever finding him with a clerk who looked miserable, they were always smiling/laughing by the time he was returned to me.

No, it's just that they would be miserable if we had to walk all the way across town before getting to the store, and then walk all the way back. When we can drive, it's all good. It just means that times like these, when I don't have a vehicle to use (the one my ex usually takes to work is in need of repairs, so he has to drive the minivan to work) we're stuck in/near the house and that sucks.

I'm pretty well convinced that the waxy coating I had on my hair before was conditioner residue. I haven't decided what to do about this, though. I really don't want to go back to using it all the time if I can avoid it, but the fine floof is still frustrating me.

I also really don't want to start using fixative products in my hair again. Everything I've used has to be washed out with shampoo, and that starts the drying cycle again (light gel to control floof --> shampoo --> much conditioner --> hair feels dry when it's dry --> hair floofs --> light gel). I'm trying so hard to stay out of that! The best I've managed is super cheap gel that's geared more toward shine than control; My hair is so fine that it doesn't need to be all that powerful to hold it. Even so, it does inevitably seem to dry my hair out something awful. Does anyone have suggestions for avoiding this cycle of hair drying? I'm starting to wonder if I should just slather oil on every day/every other day until it starts to build up on my hair and things start to calm down. :/

Length
    pixi/TB/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I finally decided its time for me to stop lurking in this thread and start posting in it. I've been in denial about my waves for years, always thinking i could comb my hair straight when it was wet I finally decided to give my hair what it wanted, lots of moisture, and wow! what a difference it made! I think it was the suggestion to use a regular conditioner as a leave in that made the biggest difference in my waves

Last edited by Gutterfayrie; August 12th, 2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fix picture link and typo
    Lady Mephit of the Earthen Valley in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterfayrie View Post
    I finally decided its time for me to stop lurking in this thread and start posting in it. I've been in denial about my waves for years, always thinking i could comb my hair straight when it was wet I finally decided to give my hair what it wanted, lots of moisture, and wow! what a difference it made! I think it was the suggestion to use leave a regular conditioner as a leave in that made the biggest difference in my waves

Such pretty wurls and color!
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Your hair looks lovely, Gutterfayrie!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    pixi/TB/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Thank you kitschy and lapushka! just shows that even an oldtimer on LHC can still learn new tricks

Here is an example from 4 years ago (with flash) of the waves that were there that I was fighting against

Lady Mephit of the Earthen Valley in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    22APL/28WSL/Class
    Type
    3b/F/i

So-- another question for curlies. When you measure or gauge your hair length, do you do it dry or wet, curly or pulled out straight? I say my hair is shoulder length because it's around there (just below) when it's dry & curly-- the shortest it can be is just touching my shoulders, when the curls are as curly as they can be, but they average resting on my shoulders. When it is wet, it's definitely armpit length, maybe a little longer (I really need a hand mirror so I can look at the back of my head *heh*). When you say your hair is bra-strap length or so, do you mean wet or dry?

I ask because it occurred to me when I got out of the shower this morning that my hair would seem longer while dry today (if it wasn't in a bun ) than it has because it's less humid than it has been. In other words, I finally recognized that I can't possibly get a consistent measurement unless I do it while my hair is wet and straight. D'oh!