Results 5,271 to 5,280 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    22APL/28WSL/Class
    Type
    3b/F/i

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by katsrevenge View Post
    Ohh.. you are difficult! I'm hoping someone more knowing comes along.. I'm still a bit of a newbie at this. Maybe protein treatments? I know they make protein filler stuff... maybe a synthetic version of henna would be ok?
    Indeed I am. Of course, if it was easy I would never have bothered looking for help on the interwebz and wouldn't have found this place. . . and as I need to "get out" more, this is probably not a bad thing.

I do the same thing with shampoo. For every one I buy, I buy two conditioners. Have you tried watering the shampoo down or using baby products?
    Baby shampoo dried my hair out a fair bit, but that was before Johnson's came out with their curly baby shampoo. That's a good idea, I should give that a go (if I decide that I need shampoo again, I'm still kind of reluctant at this point).

As for small buns... they have their advantages. I have to take my hair down if I want to drive anywhere and not get a sore neck.
    Heh, I had that problem with claw clips. Then I found this round plastic clip at Walmart and fell madly in love with it-- it was totally flat on my head. Unfortunately I only had money for one, and I haven't seen them in the store lately. I'm not describing it well, and my camera isn't working but at some point I'll get a picture of it. It's my favorite hair accessory, though.

Can you use spin pins, Amish bun pins, hair sticks or forks? I only use the metal free bands for braids these days because I was always pulling out hairs with them too. I know they make spin pins for thinner hair... and then there are claw clips. Most of those are IMOO, made for you thinner haired folk. The cloth covered hair band elastics are easier on the hair too. They aren't as fashionable anymore.. but they break less on me at least.
    Well, I have no idea what a spin pin or an Amish bun pin is (even though I know lots of Amish people! *heh*) and I don't think I've ever seen a hair fork. I've used fancy chopsticks in my hair before, but I don't have anything shorter and they're so long that they look kind of silly on my head right now. All of my ponytailers are metal free as well, I made that switch a long time ago. I've got a few claw clips, but the majority of them are too big for my hair (occasionally I can find clips labeled for fine hair and those work well). I'm not a fan of the scrunchie look, but I may make a few for myself, at least for night-time buns.

Oh, I need a horn comb too. I want one pick shaped with long tines so I can just leave it in my hair and never loose it.

As for satin/silk headcoverings... I picked up a few older silk shirts and a silk skirt for a grand total of 6 dollars and change from a thrift store. A little sewing.. and I've a few new lovelies.
    Sweet. I don't get out all that much, but like I said. . . it's on my list!

Katsrevenge, I found mixing henna with amla counters the curl loosening effect for me. Amla does make the red go a little darker though, so if you prefer your color this way maybe you can try applying amla seperately if you haven't already.

Also, Katsrevenge, your curls are very pretty and I love the color!

Length
    APL/WL/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by redcelticcurls View Post
    I, personally, consider wurly to be in the 2c/3a range.

Your avatar is lovely, and I'd call it lightly wavy.
    Thank you! I really dislike my hair texture.. It feels like that awkward stage between wurly and straight.
    APL // BSL// WL / HL // BCL // TBL // CL // FTL // MTL // KL
    Participating in: No trimming 2024

MalloryKay, it's hard to say from just your avatar. Do you comb your hair after shower with gel in it? That makes some loosely wavy hair look straighter. At least I saw it happen to someone I know.

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dRummie View Post
    katsrevenge, that hair is gorgeous! I absolutely love the wurls, and the colour is so rich!

Welcome, RainbowHawk I, too, would be interested to hear how to make fine hair stick to its curl. Mine doesn't seem to be as bad as yours, but I still end up with that grown-out perm look far too often. I have no advice, unfortunately. Going no-cone worked well for me, and I haven't used henna since elementary school.

A question of my own: How does everyone "refresh" curls after sleeping? When I wake up, my wurls are still there, but they're all kinds of messy, and if I so much as finger comb, they straighten out a lot. Is there something I can do to keep the waves but have them look presentable?

yea my hair is so thin that after waking up my curls are destroyed theres no turning back lol i would either have to brush and pin it up or tak another shower.

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

i need some advice. My hair is thicker at the top shorter at the bottom. and i think its due to having my hair up in a bun for work 5 days out of the week. That i cant help i have to being military and all. I do spray in the Chi leave in right after a shower and style as normal and when i fix my hair for work i spray the suave professionals rosemary mint leavin becuase i dont use gel or hairspray anymore to fix my hair. i do castoroil treatments once a week i might have to try twice a week since my hair isnt growing its been sitting at shoulder length for about 4 months now. when my hair curls theres always one layer at the bottom that doesnt curl and looks like im wearing a cap. I do have a condition but im goign all natural. any suggestions on conditioners, shampoos, hair advice etc?

Length
    2in/43/42!
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowHawk View Post
    Indeed I am. Of course, if it was easy I would never have bothered looking for help on the interwebz and wouldn't have found this place. . . and as I need to "get out" more, this is probably not a bad thing.
    Same here. I wrecked my hair with two hours on a freeway in a convertible and needed help with a big "H"... and remembered this site and actually made an account. Very glad I did!

Baby shampoo dried my hair out a fair bit, but that was before Johnson's came out with their curly baby shampoo. That's a good idea, I should give that a go (if I decide that I need shampoo again, I'm still kind of reluctant at this point).
    I'm still thinking protein may be your thing. Does your hair like egg/honey/mayo treatments? Oh, and some people swear by deep oil soaks overnight and CO wash the next morning. I have done the mayo thing, wash that out with conditioner, oil it, and go to bed to CWC and it does wonders for floofy fizz. But I have more hair.. hmm.. I really wish you had a picture. I have you typed as similar to my BF's Mum but she does horrible things with straightners and chemical ladden aftercare too. She is Afro-American, thin, fine hair, and prolly a 3b/4a.

Heh, I had that problem with claw clips. Then I found this round plastic clip at Walmart and fell madly in love with it-- it was totally flat on my head. Unfortunately I only had money for one, and I haven't seen them in the store lately. I'm not describing it well, and my camera isn't working but at some point I'll get a picture of it. It's my favorite hair accessory, though.
    Buggers are pricey. I think I know what you are talking about. Worst thing about them is they overcharge for what should be cheap! With me.. it ain't the clip.. it is the hairball I have.

Well, I have no idea what a spin pin or an Amish bun pin is (even though I know lots of Amish people! *heh*) and I don't think I've ever seen a hair fork. I've used fancy chopsticks in my hair before, but I don't have anything shorter and they're so long that they look kind of silly on my head right now. All of my ponytailers are metal free as well, I made that switch a long time ago. I've got a few claw clips, but the majority of them are too big for my hair (occasionally I can find clips labeled for fine hair and those work well). I'm not a fan of the scrunchie look, but I may make a few for myself, at least for night-time buns.
    A spin pin is this thing HERE. Amish hair pins are these HERE. Basically, a U shaped thing. If you are crafty, you can make one out of a small metal knitting double point needle.

And.. as for chopsticks.. I make my own from old takeout sticks from Chinese places. Just cut them to size, shape and sharpen an end, sand flat and paint with nail polish. I actually posted about them on my blog because I have no life. It is a how-to.. if you've never done that yourself. (Probably have, but you never know.)

And I hate scrunchies too. As a child of the 80s I've put my time in with them!

Sweet. I don't get out all that much, but like I said. . . it's on my list!
    I don't get out enough either. Gas=$$$ and the bus system here is laughable. :/

Quote Originally Posted by emelnd View Post
    Katsrevenge, I found mixing henna with amla counters the curl loosening effect for me. Amla does make the red go a little darker though, so if you prefer your color this way maybe you can try applying amla seperately if you haven't already.
    I will have to see about getting some then... for next time! And I like my red bright as possible! (But I understand with my natuarl color it will be darker.. ah well)

Quote Originally Posted by emelnd View Post
    Also, Katsrevenge, your curls are very pretty and I love the color!
    Thank you!! It darkened today. I've pics in my henna album since I' tracking the change.

Length
    APL/WL/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

No, I havent used gel in months and I rarely comb or brush it wet.... Its more wavy underneath. I am trying to get my waves to come out more.. any suggestions? I will put a more accurate picture up on this thread after wash day.
    APL // BSL// WL / HL // BCL // TBL // CL // FTL // MTL // KL
    Participating in: No trimming 2024

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro