Page 477 of 851 FirstFirst ... 377427467475476477478479487527577 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,770 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Try adding a few drops of oil... my hair loves AVG + oil.
    It's an idea, but in what proportion? A few drops of oil to how much AVG?

Oh, and any favourite types of oil? I've used nothing but coconut on my hair for over a year now, but that stuff is currently still too solid at room temperature to lend itself to mixing with AVG!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WittyWordsmith View Post
    GRU, when you mix the AVG and your oil, do you use equal parts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    It's an idea, but in what proportion? A few drops of oil to how much AVG?

Oh, and any favourite types of oil? I've used nothing but coconut on my hair for over a year now, but that stuff is currently still too solid at room temperature to lend itself to mixing with AVG!

Gosh, my hair recipes are like my food recipes... "a little of this and a smidge of that"! So I can't give you any actual proportions -- I just put a "glob" of aloe on my palm with a few drops of oil, rub my hands together to mix it up really well, then smooth it in.

As for oils, I like grapeseed or sweet almond personally, but pretty much any of the "hair faves" around here should work similarly. And I always mix my AVG/oil goop up as I use it, so the solid coconut oil wouldn't matter -- just melt some on my hand and mix with AVG.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Sounds like you and I have pretty much the same approach to cooking. And to hair goop!

I'll give it a try the next time I use AVG. Maybe I'll nick some olive oil from the kitchen for the purpose, just to see what happens -- I've never tried olive oil in my hair before, and who knows, my ends might like it!

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Hi guys! I'm new here and since my hair is wavy/curly, I thought I'd check in here My name is Eline.

I cowash most of the time, and low poo when I feel like I need it. This is usually every 1.5 weeks.

I am starting to like having curls, except for the fact that I have to wet it every day because my hair is very easily altered... It goes straight-ish/wavy (but weird waves) quickly so whatever I do overnight (pineapple, loose braid, or just sleeping with my hair loose) it ends up as a disaster the next morning.
    I definitely notice loss of definition during the day too, so I need a product for hold.

I really didn't like the only cone free gel I found in stores here in the Netherlands... It was so bad that I swore never to use gel again in my life. I'm starting to get over this traumatic experience though, as I realize that the best solution for hold is probably gel...

What do you do for hold? As I said, the gel thing was kinda disastrous, but it might just have been that particular gel.. Does anyone have any suggestions? It needs to be cone/mineral oil free, but other than that it doesn't really matter.

Hair products I do like are Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle. I am just trying out Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz, which has brought me mixed results so far but I am still trying to figure out the best way for me to use it. As you can see, all these products are more for definition and curl enhancing than hold...

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

A lot of people like Aloe Vera Gel for a light hold, or Flax Seed Gel for a stronger hold (you make your own flax seed gel by cooking seeds in water, then straining out the seeds).

So-called "second day hair" is but a dream to many of us. After sleeping on it, my curls are wonky-shaped and frizzy, so I either CO-wash again or put it in a bun or braid.

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Hi Elinious,

I'm fairly new to the curly life myself, but I've had fairly good results from using aloe vera gel to help set and hold my curls -- the kind that sells as an aftersun skin treatment. I used Sundance Aloe Vera Après Gel from DM, if that's of any use to you (I don't know whether you have DM in the Netherlands?) Tames frizz very nicely and helped me with curl definition too.

The one thing I found is that while the AVG makes the hair on the top of my head feel fantastic, my ends came out feeling rather velcro-y -- I think because my ends are dry from years of SLeS shampooing. The next time I use it I'm going to try mixing it with a bit of oil to see whether that helps.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elinious View Post
    Hi guys! I'm new here and since my hair is wavy/curly, I thought I'd check in here My name is Eline.

I cowash most of the time, and low poo when I feel like I need it. This is usually every 1.5 weeks.

I am starting to like having curls, except for the fact that I have to wet it every day because my hair is very easily altered... It goes straight-ish/wavy (but weird waves) quickly so whatever I do overnight (pineapple, loose braid, or just sleeping with my hair loose) it ends up as a disaster the next morning.
    I definitely notice loss of definition during the day too, so I need a product for hold.

I really didn't like the only cone free gel I found in stores here in the Netherlands... It was so bad that I swore never to use gel again in my life. I'm starting to get over this traumatic experience though, as I realize that the best solution for hold is probably gel...

What do you do for hold? As I said, the gel thing was kinda disastrous, but it might just have been that particular gel.. Does anyone have any suggestions? It needs to be cone/mineral oil free, but other than that it doesn't really matter.

Hair products I do like are Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle. I am just trying out Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz, which has brought me mixed results so far but I am still trying to figure out the best way for me to use it. As you can see, all these products are more for definition and curl enhancing than hold...
    Hello It took me months to achieve 2nd day hair but I've got consistent results for the last 7 months. For me, achieving next day hair has been thanks to the combination of products used and product-application techniques. I wash my hair at night. While my hair is still quite wet, I apply homemade linseed (aka flax seed) gel over a base of organic leave-in conditioner or curl creme. Then I usually apply a blob of organic hair gel. When my hair dries I leave the hard gel-cast alone, put my hair in a pineapple, and, in the morning, I scrunch out the gel cast with curl cream.

The homemade flax seed gel really helps me achieve both better clumping curls and next day hair - it's great stuff

ETA: The commercial products I use are widely available all over Europe, I buy mine online:
    John Masters Organic leave-in detangler
    Curls Souffle Organic curl cream
    Aubrey Organics B5 Design Gel
    Last edited by mneh; May 11th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Long Haired Bible Thumper Debra83's Avatar
    Length
    ear/bsl/HIP
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I used the "secret sock bun method" last night before I went to bed (wrapping from the ends up), in a bun on the top of my head, and it was only a little damp when I put it in...this was the result below. Tonight, I took the left over curls and sprayed a little tiny bit of Ojon leave in, and dry "secret sock bunned" it and will see what happens tomorrow morning!!

Debra LHBT
    December 25, 2013 - length check -12t/1 cut
    Lady Aedos of the Pureheart Grace in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Further to the AVG business, I currently have a headful of corkscrew curls drying after the application of AVG mixed with coconut oil.

The coconut oil was solid when I reached for it, but I had a brainwave and zapped the jar with the hairdryer. After about ten seconds the top layer of oil was liquid enough to mix easily with a blob of AVG in the palm of my hand.

I'm on tenterhooks about whether I got the relative quantities right. If I didn't and too much oil got onto my length, I may find I'm a greaseball when my hair's dry!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    Further to the AVG business, I currently have a headful of corkscrew curls drying after the application of AVG mixed with coconut oil.

The coconut oil was solid when I reached for it, but I had a brainwave and zapped the jar with the hairdryer. After about ten seconds the top layer of oil was liquid enough to mix easily with a blob of AVG in the palm of my hand.

I'm on tenterhooks about whether I got the relative quantities right. If I didn't and too much oil got onto my length, I may find I'm a greaseball when my hair's dry!

Well? Enquiring minds wanna know!!!!