Page 240 of 851 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290340740 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
    I looked at your latest picture Heidi and I honestly would describe you as a 3b even though you have wavy-to-straight roots. You hair is much, much curlier than mine.

I go by the standard worded definitions of 3a as 'big, loose, spiral curls' and 3b as 'bouncy ringlets'. Your spirals are anything but loose. I have maybe 4 curls on my head that are that tight. My hair spirals nearly everywhere but the back crown.. but I would describe it more as a 'body curl' (like a body wave, geddit?). And it's much curlier when short.

RCC, I guess it's common to use a median to type someone? If it's one type at the top and another at the roots, you meet in the middle..
    Also it seems like people over at naturallycurly.com type completely differently than at LHC. Here everyone says my hair is curly, over there I am wavy.
    I agree with that, although it confuses me since that part of Fia's system looks to be based on Andre Walker's system, which is used over at NC. I wasn't sure at first what type to use here because there were people that looked 2c to me calling themselves 3b. It was quite confusing, and still is at times.

I think the large numbers of straighter haired people here can also make a difference. What looks curly to a curly is a lot different than what looks curly to a type 1. I see that quite often on general hair typing threads.
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by redcelticcurls View Post
    Today's pic looks to be a standard 3a - wavy up top ending in tight spirals on the bottom. 3A can often be described as 2c on top and 3b on the bottom. You don't have to root curl in that pic to be 3b, which is the curl type where you start getting a stronger root curl pattern, though not as strong as the 3c and 4a get.

I think you're at the point now where you seem to be deciding whether you prefer your curl in its curliest state, or if you prefer the longest length. And, as any curly knows, you can't have both at once!
    So basically 3a doesn't really exists? It's 2c/3b actually? Do we have a hairtyping system glitch here?

I actually prefer length over curls, at least for now. I think it looks better when the shape of my hair is leaner (like previous length shot), the side pieces look kind of bad in my opinion, I can't wait to grow them all out to a single solid hemline. Or maybe it's the layer, which really shows, the pic really gives away the thin ends. Something about this length shot makes me uneasy.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
    I looked at your latest picture Heidi and I honestly would describe you as a 3b even though you have wavy-to-straight roots. You hair is much, much curlier than mine.

I go by the standard worded definitions of 3a as 'big, loose, spiral curls' and 3b as 'bouncy ringlets'. Your spirals are anything but loose. I have maybe 4 curls on my head that are that tight. My hair spirals nearly everywhere but the back crown.. but I would describe it more as a 'body curl' (like a body wave, geddit?). And it's much curlier when short.

redcelticcurls, I guess it's common to use a median to type someone? If it's one type at the top and another at the roots, you meet in the middle..
    Also it seems like people over at naturallycurly.com type completely differently than at LHC. Here everyone says my hair is curly, over there I am wavy.
    Yes, those were my thoughts exactly! It so much curlier than yours in that pic. And yes, they don't really fit the "big, loose, spiral curls" description.

The fact that my top is not curly, is more due to length and how strong the curls are. When I slept with my hair air drying loose I got curls all the way to the roots. I don't remember how my hair behaved when it was shoulder to APL length, and I didn't treat it like curly hair anyway, brushing it out, shampooing and so on.

I do think that hairtype shouldn't depend on the length. It's still the same hair, just forms differently under different circumstances. I wonder if curlies should air dry their hair resting on something rather than down loose for their hairtyping pic.

Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    So basically 3a doesn't really exists? It's 2c/3b actually? Do we have a hairtyping system glitch here?

I actually prefer length over curls, at least for now. I think it looks better when the shape of my hair is leaner (like previous length shot), the side pieces look kind of bad in my opinion, I can't wait to grow them all out to a single solid hemline. Or maybe it's the layer, which really shows, the pic really gives away the thin ends. Something about this length shot makes me uneasy.
    No, it does exist. There are many curlies at naturally curly with your hairtype - wavy roots, tight ends. It's a relatively common way that 3a presents itself. The clumpiness of the bottom portion looks more like a clumpy 3a as opposed to a 3b less clumpy spiral where you still see more light between the turns of the curl. You have the sausage curl ends more common in a 3a type.

I think that more wurlies and curlies here use updos more frequently, or bun dry, or don't use hold products, or don't promote the curl definition as much as curlies would over at nc, hence the differences of opinion in typing. I think nc is more used to seeing curls while we are more used to seeing length here, and the styling differences used make a good bit of difference.

Length
    buzz/38/dunno
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Yes, those were my thoughts exactly! It so much curlier than yours in that pic. And yes, they don't really fit the "big, loose, spiral curls" description.

The fact that my top is not curly, is more due to length and how strong the curls are. When I slept with my hair air drying loose I got curls all the way to the roots. I don't remember how my hair behaved when it was shoulder to APL length, and I didn't treat it like curly hair anyway, brushing it out, shampooing and so on.

I do think that hairtype shouldn't depend on the length. It's still the same hair, just forms differently under different circumstances. I wonder if curlies should air dry their hair resting on something rather than down loose for their hairtyping pic.
    I have been thinking along the same lines, Heidi. You're definitely onto something. My hair can appear to be anything from a 3b to a 2a but it's not as if my hair itself has changed.

Type
    2c/M/ii

I'm always so baffled by pictures of individual heads of hair that I only go by verbal descriptors.

I've been thinking hard and in my head now there are two components to curliness - the distance between the bends in a clump of hair, and also how round it is (does it spiral, or form a 2-dimensional s-wave?).

All wavy, curly, and kinky hair has bends in it, and for the layman (heh) or straight-haired person, how close together the bends are is often what determines their perception of 'curliness', rather than actual spirals.

However, when you try to make a system of hairtyping: most wavy and kinky (by which I mean hair that zig-zags in very tight bends but does not form spirals at all) hair does not have roundness. Type 3s are all supposed to be round, and the main difference between 3a, 3b, and 3c is the tightness of the bend in the hair (which often corresponds with the size of the clumps it forms).

Now, on NC's main page, the main qualifier between wavy and curly, according to the written descriptions, is the flatness or roundness of locks of hair. My hair has both flat and round areas (although all have a s-wave or curl to them), but the main impression is very much round, at least from the front and sides. My hair stands away from my head, and I think that's why it was pretty unanimous on LHC that it was curly and not wavy. LHC goes by Fia's method, and over there it's all about roundness rather than how tight or close the bends in your hair are. (Also, I take NC's guidelines with a big grain of salt, because it's so not true that all curly-hair is 'baby soft and very fine in texture– there's just a lot of it'. To speak only for myself, I have areas of hairs that are both obviously fine and obviously thick and coarse, and hairs in between that I assume are medium. And I do not have a lot of hairs growing out of my head, either, it is thinnish and always has been. It does look like a lot of hair because it is so round and poofy).

Although: the 2b pictures at Fia's site, which all happen to be of longer hair in fairly tight s-waves, pretty much all look 'curlier' to me than the 2c ones,which are mostly of short hair with less bend but more roundness. And the pics in the 3a and 3b sections.. okay, to be honest, every single pic between 2b and 3c looks similar enough, to me, to another pic representing a totally different type that it it useless for me.

On the NC forums, it seems to be about both tightness and roundness of locks of hair. Unless your clumps are defined, regular, round, and the bends in a lock are close together, you aren't considered truly curly.

But I think it's a crapshoot when you're gaining length whether your formerly round curls will be pulled into flat s-waves or still-round, but looser, spirals. Mine have loosened dramatically already, and I think I will be a '2b' or so when I am at goal, even though I expect I will still have spirals in the body of my hair rather than s-waves.

/blabberfingers

ETA: Here is a thread of type-2 NC members, Here is a thread with 3as, and here 3bs. Obviously these aren't typing pictures with no product, but you can see there's huge variation in both threads and between both threads (there's a pic of a woman in the 2c thread with the most perfectly round, regular spiral curls, although they are very large in diameter), and it's still not clear to me what defines each type.

I would have fit best into the 3b thread when my hair was above shoulder-length, btw.
    Last edited by rhubarbarin; September 12th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

You both got valid points here. I think we got somewhat lost in the void between LHC and NC. Obviously the standard LHC advice doesn't always apply well for curlies - like updo's and such. The hairtyping is not only different, but also not taking under consideration the fact that hair can be seemingly wavy but actually have weak curl formation (like squigglyflop posted not so long ago, with the bottom few inches roll into spiral shape while her hair looked really straight overall).

Curls are capricious and can be very easily disturbed and shaped into different things. Length, brushing, moisture (or lack of thereof), products left in after washing, which way the hair was done while drying can make all the difference in the world. All my length shots look different (to me at least). And btw, in my hairtyping picture my hair was 6" or so shorter, but the curls are MUCH less tight than in the most recent one. So which one is true?

And how come everybody that posts on NC have the most perfect curls?!

Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

You both got valid points here. I think we got somewhat lost in the void between LHC and NC. Obviously the standard LHC advice doesn't always apply well for curlies - like updo's and such. The hairtyping is not only different, but also not taking under consideration the fact that hair can be seemingly wavy but actually have weak curl formation (like squigglyflop posted not so long ago, with the bottom few inches roll into spiral shape while her hair looked really straight overall).

Curls are capricious and can be very easily disturbed and shaped into different things. Length, brushing, moisture (or lack of thereof), products left in after washing, which way the hair was done while drying can make all the difference in the world. All my length shots look different (to me at least). And btw, in my hairtyping picture my hair was 6" or so shorter, but the curls are MUCH less tight than in the most recent one. So which one is true?

And how come everybody that posts on NC have the most perfect curls?!
    LOL!

Different foci I think.

The average hair length there is shorter than the average hair length here. I have long hair there, where I don't here, except maybe on curl threads where we all understand shrinkage. For 3b and up, short curls look a lot curlier, although some in those groups grow out to lengthen curl. It's more common there for a 2c or 3a to be longer than the 3b and up because 3a and 3b is where the split is on length and curl formation.

Two curlies, one a 3a and 3b may look similar at waist length, but they will look a lot different from each other at chin length. BSL seems to be the most common long length there.

I also think some there are more willing to use conventional products than here. Here, the herbs and oil crowd is larger than the herbs and oil crowd there. They can work well to grow healthy hair, but, for some, it won't show optimum curl formation. Sometimes there is an undertone here (board in general) that if you need convientional product, then you hair must not be quite healthy enough.

More people use diffusers there than here, which can help. I had a weird time transitioning to air drying and how my curls reacted.

Curl science. I think there is a bigger emphasis there on the science of hair and the science of ingredients, and how climate plays into it. For instance, I know that if I look like a 2c, then something is wrong with my moisture balance, and something in my routine needs tweaked. I had that happen last winter, lol. I know that my curl type should stay somewhat consistent, and that a major change means I need to take a look at my ingredients, the condition of my hair, and what the weather is doing. I think there is just more focus on that there (though plenty don't bother with it) than here, where there is more of an acceptance of, oh, cool, your hair is a different pattern today. That attitude can have its advantages since one is less prone to stress about the curl pattern that way, lol.

On an aside note, I scheduled my dye appt, and added extra time for a blowout since it's sort of a yearly birthday treat I like to do. It will be the middle of next week, and I really look forward to posting blowout length pics here! My last blowout was Christmas of 2008, so I hope I can be at waist (at the longest part of my V) at this blowout.

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

My hair texture is of course the total opposite of everyone else here, but I wanted to stop by here and say that I've always adored the curlies and wavies here on LHC. Especially yours redceltic, my dream hair if my wishes were to come true would be to have your degree of curl and to have a warmer, amber shade of brunette as my natural hair color.
    Last edited by ericthegreat; September 12th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I agree with hair-identity crisis. I keep going back and forth about whether my curls seem to be "loose curls" or "tight curls." Or both. I seem to have a hodge-podge on my head. xD
    So I've been gathering pictures (evidence) lately, along with experimenting with things for my hair, such as gels and ways to wear it while sleeping and whatnot. (Some/more of these are also in my albums.)
    So!:
    First time with gel. I put my hair in a pillow case, which was not quite long enough for all my hair to lie flat, and when to sleep like that. As you can see, my ends got nice curls, and the rest of it.. not so much. (Second picture is closer of the ends.)

I don't remember if this is the same day or not, but sometime later I was noticing how a bunch of my hair seemed straight. Not really straight, but it barely wavy and it seemed really odd next to the still ringlet-y hair. I think this is the part that rubs against my back, but I'm not sure. I wear/wore a ponytail, if that matters at all.

Trying to get individual sections. You can see the straightish bits, the wavy bits, and the more curly bits. I'd rather them all be curly, thanks.

This one interested me. I decided to not do anything to my hair. (No leave ins or pillow cases or anything.) After I took my shower, I went immediately to sleep. When I woke up, I was surprised to see my hair looking more curly than it had been the past couple days. I guess I didn't toss and turn as much as I usually do.

And lastly, this was the only picture I took after my first SMT. (And yes, I thought about posting this and saying I cut my hair back to BSL. I still might, if the curlies in here won't admit my secret! xD Anyway, it looks nicer, and pretty curly! In person I thought it was drying kinda floofy, since I was awake and moving around. (Usually a shower is one of the last things I do before bed.) But here it looks good. o,o
    Right now I have it plopped and gelled and stuff. I started with it plopped in a towel with nothing, and then after a couple hours I took that down, but some gel and hairspray in, and plopped it using a pillow case. In the middle when I saw it it looked like it was curling nicely, so I hope when I take it down tomorrow I'll have some great curls. I hope.
    But anyway, yeah, colour me confused about my hair and hair type and what to do to make it all curly and not all mixed.

(I hope that wasn't too many pictures! If it was, tell me and I'll make them links instead.)
    Last edited by Quixii; September 13th, 2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: pictures were huge
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3