Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: How do you respond to people that disapprove of your hair?

Length
    16/29/9999+
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How do you respond to people that disapprove of your hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Themyst View Post
    I have to agree, I like the Viking heritage comment. It's one of those comments that might set a person back somewhat and make them a bit worried they're not being 'politically correct' about something ... hee hee.
    I think it also makes them vaguely worried that she might "go Viking" on their butts.

When people have commented on my hair, it has only ever been compliments.

The only time I have ever had a negative comment was about six years ago. My boyfriend at the time said he didn't like my hair, and asked me to cut it. So I did. It was waist length, and I got it cut to shoulder length. It did look nice, but I only really did it to please him, which was kinda sad in every way.

We aren't together anymore, my hair is waist length again, and I will never again mess with my hair just to please someone else!

Length
    ??/34"/41"CL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I am working on perfecting the blank stare, followed by the ever-so-slow raising of a single eyebrow. I plan on whipping it out the first time someone comments on my hair. It's almost enough to make me wish the people in my area were that rude!

Length
    17/26/34
    Type
    2b/M/ii

The only person who disapproves of my hair is my mother. She says older women (I'm 41, I'm not old!) should have short hair.

I just smile and ignore her. It's my hair. I do look cute with short hair, but it is such a bother. Too much time to do my hair everyday. Now I can just put it up into an updo and go.

Type
    1b/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by aksown View Post
    I am working on perfecting the blank stare, followed by the ever-so-slow raising of a single eyebrow. I plan on whipping it out the first time someone comments on my hair. It's almost enough to make me wish the people in my area were that rude!
    This made me laugh

I pulled the "Why, you want some?" response on my sister the other day when she asked "Why don't you cut your hair?" She said "Yeah!" as if to play along, but that's where the discussion ended hehe
    The Internet: Serious Business

Length
    pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I'm not comfortable with confrontation (though I admire those who are ). Since I know that's how I am, I make an effort to avoid negative or disapproving comments.

I remember making a new friend many years ago who was from a different culture, and she explained to me the value of deflecting (rather than fighting) excessive attention from others, whether it be positive or negative. I've always remembered that and tried to put it to use. That said, I'd sometimes love to give a scathing, pointed comeback when someone makes a rude comment about my desire for long hair!!

Quote Originally Posted by boomygrrl View Post
    My hair is long but not by LHC standards. I dont get comments about the length, but I do about it being curly. "Why don't you straighten it?"
    Same with me and my past hair comments! No one really cared about a particular length, but everyone seemed to be offended by the curls, especially an ex of mine. When anyone tells me I should straighten it now, I just say I'd rather not subject it to heat damage (simple and to the point). I love the "not here to decorate" line, and can't wait to use it, whether regarding my length or curls!

Quote Originally Posted by GlamFanatic View Post
    THat was one of the follow ups I hate after they say, "Wow, your hair is long......do you ever think of cutting it?" Kind of annoying. As bad as saying to someone you just met, "Oh, I've heard so many THINGS about you..." Without saying if they are good or bad! People are just weirdly, vaguely, rude sometimes.
    Hah, I think I would just go the very sarcastic route.

"Ever think of cutting it?"

"No, never. I've never thought about that, ever. I don't even know what you're talking about."

It may be a bit rude, but how not ruder than someone just meeting you and asking that!

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by curlylocks85 View Post
    People tell me I am intimidating too. I don't think it has to do with size but rather how people view me. I have been told that my eyes make me unapproachable. I suppose I have deep penetrating eyes.
    Ha! Several people who are now my friends have told me that they were quite honestly terrified of me before they started actually talking to me. I think it has something to do with how I carry myself? Who knows... a (male no less!) co-worker recently told me that I should never worry about being mugged in the dark-- apparently he saw me walking back from my break and I scared the cr#$ out of him. Nothing specific, just the way I was walking... I find it bizarre.

Length
    chin/waist/knee
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by walterSCAN View Post
    Ha! Several people who are now my friends have told me that they were quite honestly terrified of me before they started actually talking to me. I think it has something to do with how I carry myself? Who knows... a (male no less!) co-worker recently told me that I should never worry about being mugged in the dark-- apparently he saw me walking back from my break and I scared the cr#$ out of him. Nothing specific, just the way I was walking... I find it bizarre.

Same here. Several friends have told me they thought I was a b*tch at first.
    Lady Branwen of the Sunlit Glory
    COMFORT THE DISTURBED. DISTURB THE COMFORTABLE.