Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use tea tree oil in their shampoo or conditioner?

Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Does anyone use tea tree oil in their shampoo or conditioner?

Here lately on the Internet I've been reading about all the benefits of tee trea oil. It's used for many different things and one of them is for treating dandruff.

I recently discovered I have dandruff and an itchy scalp. I stopped using shampoos with sls in it and it has helped a little. Today I went to a local health store and found a small bottle of tee trea oil. I am wanting to put some in my shampoo and conditioner to help my scalp. I'm just not sure how much to put in it.

I have been searching the net and been reading that tea tree oil helps scalp fungus, helps acne, etc. One site suggested to put ten drops of oil in a 10oz shampoo bottle. Also they suggested put a few drops in your bath water and in your facial mosturizer to help clear up your face. I'm just wondering what you guys use tea tree oil for?
    Last edited by Olivia23; November 3rd, 2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Woops just realized this is in the wrong thread
    Finally at BSL!!! Now aiming for waist!
    Lady Olivia Protector of the Sacred Rose in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Default Re: Does anyone use tea tree oil in their shampoo or conditioner?

It's WONDERFUL stuff and yes it does work better than anything else I've ever tried. I use it on my face and it has cleared up my acne faster than Proactiv ever could (a week). Cleared up my bf's athlete's feet, cleared up my neice's ring worm. It's great for everything. It's the best essential oil in my book.

Length
    APL/TBL/knee!
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Jep, for me too.
    I use it on my face and really really like it there. I'm using it for 5 days now and my acne got A LOT better... I'm curious, if that stays that well... *g*

I even use a little bit in my shampoo, but haven't seen much difference there so far... So I wash my hair weekly with a little bit of shampoo, 1 drop of tea tree oil and a bit of water added to the shampoo.

Btw: I really like the smell of it.
    Jan 2014

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I would start out small and see what you can deal with. Maybe get a small 1 oz bottle to put some of your shampoo in, then if it's not right you haven't ruined all of you shampoo. Maybe do 2-3 drops per 1 oz to start and see how it feels. That's probably about .5%. 1% would be about 5 drops...might be strong.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

For me teatree oil has a wonderful deordorising effect, I use it in my bathwater
    and shoes as well as adding it to homemade talc. I couldn't do without it.
    However, the only downside for me is that it is very drying on my skin so I've always assumed it would be drying on my hair as well.
    Last edited by clairenewcastle; November 3rd, 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

My brother uses a tea tree oil shampoo, facewash, and antibacterial/antifungal cream. He is a staph carrier, and tends to get nasty acne (to the point he can't shave, but he has to shave for school...) and horrible scalp irritations because of it. Tea tree alone keeps it under control. It's a potent antibacterial agent, and an even better antifungal.

For your shampoo, I'd use a few drops in the bottle, and see how it goes. Ten might be a little much; too strong and it is drying. Then again, I'm not sure how large 10 oz is. (Australia. Metric country.) I'd just put in enough so you can just smell it, but so it's not strong or overpowering.

Length
    BSL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I use tea tree oil in my shampoo. I dilute my shampoo in a 100ml bottle, then add a few drops of tea tree oil. I'm still trying to find the optimum amount of tea tree, so a vary the number of drops each time.

Length
    18/22/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've never used it in shampoo, but it's excellent for problem skin. I like the smell too.

I hope it does for you what it's done for me. I've always had terrible skin. Add a little tea tree to some witch hazel and your skin should STAY clear. I also add a few drops as well as cedarwood to my kaolin face masks and that helps reduce swelling like you wouldn't believe.

I also like the way it smells..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Yeesha View Post
    Jep, for me too.
    I use it on my face and really really like it there. I'm using it for 5 days now and my acne got A LOT better... I'm curious, if that stays that well... *g*

I even use a little bit in my shampoo, but haven't seen much difference there so far... So I wash my hair weekly with a little bit of shampoo, 1 drop of tea tree oil and a bit of water added to the shampoo.

Btw: I really like the smell of it.

Length
    20/28/38
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Wow, I just realized how old my bottle of tea tree oil that I just recently used up is...I originally bought it to make my own baby wipes. My youngest is 10 now. The wipes were great though I don't remember exactly how I made them. It only called for a drop or two of tea tree oil.

In recent years the main reason I have used it for is chiggers. Just a little drop where the chigger bite is and it goes away overnight.

I also used it in a hair rinse for my dd when we had a bad outbreak of lice at our school. The main thing that helped with that though was diligent removal of the nits. It was very painstaking work but worth it not to have to use the chemical shampoo. Sorry, got off track.

I am currently using a shampoo bar that has mint and tea tree oil in it and I love it. It hasn't completely cured the dandruff but it is much better.
    Outside no flash/Inside braid waves flash

Oct '09/Dec '10 Style Game Log