Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need hairstyle suggestions for this hairtoy =)

Length
    Pixie/46.90/Even
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default I need hairstyle suggestions for this hairtoy =)

Hi there everyone!

This is a hairtoy (hair clip) I offered to my sister some years ago:

I find it really beautyfull and it's a shame because she never wore it... Oh well...

I'd like to know if there is any bun I can hold up with this accessory, as I'd love to wear it, but I don't wear half ups, only on special ocasions...

So is there any bun, or any style, that I can use this with? I don't fancy the idea of putting it just as deciration either, but if there's one that doesn't hold with it but would seem to hold with it, it can do as well...

Also, I never see anyone using this type of hairclip, I wonder why?... Is it damaging?

Thank's for the help
    Little Bird... Where will the future lead my hair?...
    Growing long hair since September 2004
    My Hair Site - My Pictures - My Songs

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: I need hairstyle suggestions for this hairtoy =)

They are pretty damaging - at least on me. My hair gets caught where it fastens as well as where the hinges are. Your hair is also substantially thicker than mine and there are no buns I can comfortably wear and support with only a clip like that.

ETA: It's soooo pretty though!
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Length
    16 in/36"/tbn
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Ouch!!! Those hinges are a major problem for someone like me with fine, thinnish hair - I'd end up even with even less hair after having it broken off in that torturous device!

I would stay far away from it! Even though your hair is thick and gorgeous, you would get breakage where those hinges are.

I never, ever wear mine anymore. I have a few that I thought were very pretty that I purchased before I knew better (pre LHC).
    Lady Charlotte, Winsome Wielder of the Willowy Bow, in the Order of the Long Hair Knights.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Just a thought... If the clip turns out to be too damaging to wear, could you take it apart and attach the pretty part to something else? I mean, like a different sort of clip/stick/barrette or something else non-damaging?

Length
    13/37.5/termi
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I ,too ,find these clips always pull some sort of hair either clipping in or coming out...usually the decoration is glued on, youmay be able to easily get it off and place it on a wood fork or metal fork?
    It is pretty,looks like it is porcelain or ceramic? Good luck!
    Lady Primrose~Garden Keeper of the Hillside Warren in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm a finey, and I'm able to use those clips if I'm ultra-careful when I put it in and take it out (being mindful to make sure no hairs are caught in either the hinge or the ends.

I have a similar clip that's a heavy pewter celtic-knot thing, and I've found I'm able to do a pseudo-chinese bun. I divide the "ponytail" beneath the clip in to two sections, twist each section loosely, and then wrap both sections behind the clip itself. I then secure where I've tucked the ends of the two sections under, with a hairpin (good days hairpins, I've got a fast-dwindling stock of them). Hope that helps. I'll have to post a picture of what I do (but first I've got to get someone to take said picture for me).
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

That kind of clip eats my hair.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Noooooo it will screw your hair up, all that glitters is not gold!

Very pretty though.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I got a hand at using barrettes in a wrap bun. I use that hinged part as a stick, but because barrettes are usually low capacity for the amount of hair that is normally held by a stick I only grab two strands on each side of the "anchor" of the bun. If you really want to know how it's done I could draw an instruction.
    I also find the way barrette crimps hair it must be damaging.
    I wear barrettes like that every now and then and get those oohs and ahs, how did you put your hair up like that. Whereas exactly same bun with a stick instead often considered weird by other people.

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I use them when I do a Gibson tuck. They don't seem to damage my hair, so long as I'm careful when I take it out. Your hair is probably too long for a Gibson tuck though...Maybe you could find a modified long hair version? I believe there was a thread about a long hair adaption of the Gibson tuck.

Here's the link to the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ir+gibson+tuck. She says she used a flexi-8, but it seems like you may be able to use your pretty clip instead.

ETA:
    There's also a braided version here: http://www.intimelyfashion.com/hair/gibsonbraid.htm
    Last edited by klcqtee; November 4th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.

Goals: APL : BSL : Midback :Waist : Virgin