View Poll Results: Did Biotin make you break out, and did you find a way to combat the breakouts?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I broke out

31 48.44%
  • and I found a way to combat the issue

5 7.81%
  • No I did not break out

21 32.81%
  • I did not need to find a way to combat the issue

6 9.38%
  • I did not find a way to combat the issue

14 21.88%
  • I broke out the cheese!

9 14.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did biotin make you break out?

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Did biotin make you break out?

I broke out for a couple of months right at first, but I've been taking it for over 2 years now, and I think my body just got used to it over time and stopped rebelling.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I did break out when I first started taking it at 3000mcg. Now I take 1000mcg and a multi that contains 30mcg. I drink way more water and while I have broken out a bit more it's not as severe and I'm hoping my body will still adjust.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

no, I have not noticed biotin making me break out.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

untangledwithcare♥ windinherhair's Avatar
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I don't want to blame Biotin since my skin has always been acne prone. But I did have a worsening break out after starting Biotin, but I had also started another multi vitamin, at the same time, that had "Iodine" which wasn't in my previous multi vitamin I was taking. Having increased amounts of Iodine in the diet can worsen acne. I already get enough Iodine in food I eat, so I know the extra amount in the MVI could have affected my acne. I changed my vitamin, stopped taking Biotin, and I started using Proactiv. All of these changes made a night and day difference in my face! So I dont want to say one of these things was exactly the causing problem or what helped, but I have not started back on the Biotin, and my hair has been growing fast enough without it. I probably get enough Biotin in my diet anyway too.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I wanted to say that my skin has never really been prone to breaking out. However, my skis sensitive and dry and sometimes if I use new oils, makeups, etc on my skin I get light pattern pimples around the forehead area and sometimes on the face. My dermatologist noticed this and had asked me what I was using on my face and I had told him jojoba oil because my skin gets so dry. He said that might be whats causing my light pattern acne and I told him I can't really use over the counter acne products as they sting and dry my skin out so much.

He said someone with sensitive skin like me wouldn't want to use OTC acne products. He gave me a prescription for 1% Clindamycin Phosphate topical solution (it also comes in a gel or cream I think but he always gives me the solution). When I start to notice a breakout I apply it once at night before bed and wash it off in the morning with cetaphil and warm water (it smells a bit sulfury so I can't stand to not wash it off). Within a couple of days all my skin troubles are gone and best of all it doesn't irritate or dry my skin out.

I just wanted to say that in case anyone else wants to try it. I have also asked regular doctors for prescriptions of it and they are very comfortable prescribing it.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

bumping this thread.

For the people that didn't break out while taking, how high was your dosage?

Was your skin acne prone?

Would like to hear from you thanks

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I believe it did.

I was getting a bad patch of it on one cheek, and eventually starting in some other areas. I started wiping the area with rubbing alcohol at night and used Polysporin cream on the area before applying foundation. That helped alot, but it wasn't until I went off the biotin it seemed to *really* clear up.

I started at 300mg and was up to 900mg. I started taking a multi-vitamin and I discovered THAT had biotion in it as well, so I've stopped taking both.

Years ago I was prone to TERRIBLE acne, but haven't for some time, so this was discouraging.

Now, although I feel the biotin is what caused the initial outbreak (it started after I began the biotin) it doesn't seem to have gone away altogether even after having stopped -- occasionally I get a briefly flare-up for about a day, but the Polysporin treatment seems to keep it in check.

Also, I should add, this isn't the same "acne" or pimples I had as a younger person -- they rarely get a "whitehead" or pus in them.
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics