Thread: Onion Juice For Hair Growth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    22/22/hmm
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Onion Juice For Hair Growth

I was surprised not to find any search results for "onion juice" on LHC. Onion juice is a home remedy for hair loss, among other things - googling "onion juice" and "hair" brings up some interesting links.

Anybody have experience or information about this?

I have a red, patch with very thin hair just above the nape of my neck, and I thought I'd give onion juice a try - it's apparently also good for fungal infections, which is what I suspect this red patch is. (I posted about my problem here when I first joined LHC).

A caution to anyone considering trying it: it's very smelly! (Though after washing, the smell has gone completely).

Length
    short/knee+/term?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Onion Juice

Wow, I've never heard of that! Be sure and post your results...
    Lady Leokadia, Conjurer of Multilateral Arts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

On the archived board, if you do the search there, was a young lady who did some onion treatment and the smell stayed in her scalp months after that, she was miserable and had tried everything to get rid of it.

I have been very wary of recipes calling for onion or garlic, after reading that.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I was recommended to boil onion skins (for 15 min or so?) and use the liquid on the scalp to help fight hairloss. It was not smelly, but when I used the purple onion skin, it slightly stained my hair. I haven't stuck with this treatment for long enough to see if it helps though.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    16/22/30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I've read that onion juice or extract is the main ingredient in Mederma and other scar healing ointments. I was rubbing on onion for a while but you kinda hafta have privacy. Othawise DH or SO may not dig it.

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Interesting! But I guess if I suspected mysyelf to have a fungal infecftion on my scalp I'd first try something else there, maybe rinses or even Monistat applied topically.
    At true tailbone!

Length
    22/22/hmm
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    On the archived board, if you do the search there, was a young lady who did some onion treatment and the smell stayed in her scalp months after that, she was miserable and had tried everything to get rid of it.

I have been very wary of recipes calling for onion or garlic, after reading that.
    Ah, thanks Arctic, I hadn't thought of searching the archives. Here's the thread. In the end, it took her about eleven months to get rid of the smell after leaving the juice and puree on her hair for only an hour. I left it on overnight (juice only), and, after washing, my hair only has a slight rose scent from my shampoo Perhaps it has to do with skin type

In any case, I'm feeling a bit less enthusiastic about onion juice after reading that thread! Perhaps I'll just use it on my "bald" patch immediately before washing, or some sort of topical MSM application might be another option, for sulphur content.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    I was recommended to boil onion skins (for 15 min or so?) and use the liquid on the scalp to help fight hairloss. It was not smelly, but when I used the purple onion skin, it slightly stained my hair. I haven't stuck with this treatment for long enough to see if it helps though.
    Thanks for that - I hadn't yet read anything about using cooked onions. What colour stain did the purple onion skins leave you with? I'd love a slight purple stain to my hair

Quote Originally Posted by Sister13 View Post
    I've read that onion juice or extract is the main ingredient in Mederma and other scar healing ointments. I was rubbing on onion for a while but you kinda hafta have privacy. Othawise DH or SO may not dig it.
    Yes, DBF complained loudly when I went to bed with onion juice on my scalp last night Even covered with a turban it was very pungent

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Not onions, just the skin of the onion (the outer peel, usually it gets tosses side when you buy it, I gathered it in the market by the onions). The color wasn't that noticeable, but it had yellowish tint to it (I wouldn't mind purple either ).

It really didn't smell for me, I had no problem that I can recall, except maybe gathering enough onion skins for a treatment.

Length
    22/22/hmm
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Not onions, just the skin of the onion (the outer peel, usually it gets tosses side when you buy it, I gathered it in the market by the onions). The color wasn't that noticeable, but it had yellowish tint to it (I wouldn't mind purple either ).

It really didn't smell for me, I had no problem that I can recall, except maybe gathering enough onion skins for a treatment.
    I see, just the dry, papery skin?

What a shame red onion skins don't give a good purple tint - I've been looking out for something "herbal" to do this, but nothing seems to exist

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Leneveu View Post
    I see, just the dry, papery skin?

What a shame red onion skins don't give a good purple tint - I've been looking out for something "herbal" to do this, but nothing seems to exist
    Yes.

Maybe one of these? (taken from Nightashe's coloring with herbs article)
    Purple
    • Blackberry: strong purple
    • Elderberries
    • Black Raspberries
    • Grapes
    • Pokeweed berries: reddish purple
    • Red Cedar Root: purple
    • Red Maple Tree (inner bark): purple
    • Elderberries: lavender
    • Grapes: purple
    • Mulberries: royal purple
    • Red cabbage: bright reddish purple
    • Daylilies (old blooms)