Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autumn shed(?) is freaking me out!

Length
    21/30.5/35
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Autumn shed(?) is freaking me out!

I've been shedding A LOT the past few weeks- several times as much as I normally do, and it's freaking me out. I've seen people around here talking about an "autumn shed," and I bet that's what I'm having, but I feel like my hair is just falling out!

This did start when I henna'ed my hair, though I expected a lot of shedding initially from getting the henna into and out of my hair. But other than that, I haven't really changed anything.

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Autumn shed(?) is freaking me out!

Sorry to hear you are worried about your shedding
    Could it be that you notice it more because your hair is longer than it was last Autumn? And/or that you are more into caring for your hair than you were last time round so you notice it more?
    I hope this doesn't sound like I am trivialising. These are things that sometimes I come to realise myself now that I am much more into haircare and so on. I worry a lot more about my hair and certain things then seem a lot worse than they maybe really are because I just pay more attention to it.
    Hope that makes sense

Just keep monitoring the situation, baby your hair only when necessary, and try not to handle it too much would be my advice. Good luck!

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I'm also kinda freaking out over this, I find it hard to understand how I can shed all this hair and still have hair left on my head! and a lot of it at that..however I do not have the volume I had in pics back before the summer.Maybe cos my hair is longer and that pulls it down. Its disconcerted me enough that Ive put off hennaing this month and am waiting to see if I stop this crazy shedding.
    Maybe Im just noticing it more this year .And I recently had extensive lab work done so its not my iron levels or thyroid, etc.
    Anyway I just wonder how we dont go bald from all this shedding..hair is like men ..who can understand them both..LOL..temperamental too heheh!

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Me, too. At first I was kind of thrilled because I rarely shed hair and new growth tends to suffocate my scalp. But now it's just kind of depressing. Don't worry. You're not alone!

Length
    Chin/Waist/Clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I feel your pain. I am just coming through the tail end of a MASSIVE late summer/early autumn shed. It does feel frightening. Mine is starting to ease up though and I remember I shed a lot last autumn as well, so I think perhaps it is a seasonal thing. I measured my ponytail circumference again, fearing that I'd lost half of it -- but it turned out the same. So I think perhaps that means there must be a massive new growth season as well as a massive shed season!

Type
    1c/M/ii

Red face Re: Autumn shed(?) is freaking me out!

Seasonal shedding is normal? Whew! I just yesterday joined the forums because I was seeking information about hair. I was worried about the fact that I seemed to suddenly be shedding more hair than usual. I thought it might be due to the fact that I constantly wear my hair in a tight braid (and have been for the past fifteen years) and am losing my hair, but maybe it is seasonal shedding.

(My memory of cyclical things is shabby, but I do know that I've had bouts of shedding before that have left me worried, yet I still have hair.)

I am still looking for alternatives to my perma-braid, since it cannot be healthy for my hair or scalp, but now I am not as worried that I am killing my hair.

Length
    shldr/bsl/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm just checking in here to say I've been freaking out too. I remember shedding a lot last autumn, but I'd just moved 1600 miles and attributed it to stress from moving and being in a new place. Now that it's happened again, I'm trying to remind myself to stay calm, because this is happening to other folks too.

I can't tell if I've lost any circumference or not. The measurement varies depending on how compressed my hair wants to be on any given day. I should have lost some circumference due to some breakage from shoving my sunglasses on top of my head, which caused them to eat hairs (a habit I have since worked to break). I just don't know if I've lost any to shedding.

I suppose I should wait for a bit and see how it's going before I really panic. I'm glad to know I'm not the only freaking out, though.
    Do you believe in rock and roll? Can music save your mortal soul? And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Length
    15"/APL+/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I was shedding very heavily for a few weeks, too. Then, I switched to shampooing just 2x a week and CO'ing the other days. That helped because now my shedding is back to normal.

1-1-14
    2c,F\M,ii

Length
    9 in/15in/40in
    Type
    3c/4a/M/iii

i shed twice as much during early autumn but my hair doesnt suffer for it.

Length
    21/30.5/35
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jesamyn View Post
    I suppose I should wait for a bit and see how it's going before I really panic. I'm glad to know I'm not the only freaking out, though.
    Knowing that this is happening to and freaking out other people too actually does make me feel better.

Though to everyone commiserating with me, I'm sorry!