Thread: Visible scalp/thinning hair solutions.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Lightbulb Visible scalp/thinning hair solutions.

As some of you know, my hair has thinned dramatically over the past year. I can't wear it down due to serious scalp show through. (I'm talking almost bald.)

For fancy occasions, I have been using Toppik, which works great. It's a colored powder that you sprinkle around to cover up the bare scalp, making it look like you have much more hair than you do. This stuff is expensive though, and a pain to use, since scratching one's head will lead to splotchiness.

So, I had a flash of insight the other day, looking at my coworker's thinning hair. All of a sudden I thought:

SELF TANNER!

Why not tan my scalp? I've never used fake tan before, so I was a bit nervous, but I bought a lotion and then just rubbed it all over my scalp. I've applied twice, and can already see a huge difference! My hair even seems to like it (lotion=deep conditioning treatment?) I can't wait until I can wear my hair down again! So, if you're having similar issues, you might want to try some tan in a can!

Default Re: Visible scalp/thinning hair solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple pea View Post
    As some of you know, my hair has thinned dramatically over the past year. I can't wear it down due to serious scalp show through. (I'm talking almost bald.)

For fancy occasions, I have been using Toppik, which works great. It's a colored powder that you sprinkle around to cover up the bare scalp, making it look like you have much more hair than you do. This stuff is expensive though, and a pain to use, since scratching one's head will lead to splotchiness.

So, I had a flash of insight the other day, looking at my coworker's thinning hair. All of a sudden I thought:

SELF TANNER!

Why not tan my scalp? I've never used fake tan before, so I was a bit nervous, but I bought a lotion and then just rubbed it all over my scalp. I've applied twice, and can already see a huge difference! My hair even seems to like it (lotion=deep conditioning treatment?) I can't wait until I can wear my hair down again! So, if you're having similar issues, you might want to try some tan in a can!

I might give that a try!
    My part is really bothering me lately becuase the skin on my head is SO pale. I was getting ready to try a little bit of matte eye shadow but self tanner sounds like a good option. (unless, of course, it makes me shed more .. eeeekk!!)

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ambychelle View Post
    I might give that a try!
    My part is really bothering me lately becuase the skin on my head is SO pale. I was getting ready to try a little bit of matte eye shadow but self tanner sounds like a good option. (unless, of course, it makes me shed more .. eeeekk!!)
    I tried eye shadow before buying the Toppik, and it didn't work very well! It would get on my hair and make it glisten. So far I haven't had any increase in shedding, but it's only been two days so

I also have very thin hair, and I hate how my scalp shows. One of the things that I noticed about using henna is that my hair seems so much thicker for a few days after I use it. For a bit I thought it was the henna that was causing a difference in my hair texture and thus making it seem that I had my hair. Then it hit me........... what was actually happening is that the henna dyed my scalp while dying my hair and THAT is what gave me a fuller looking head of hair.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
    I also have very thin hair, and I hate how my scalp shows. One of the things that I noticed about using henna is that my hair seems so much thicker for a few days after I use it. For a bit I thought it was the henna that was causing a difference in my hair texture and thus making it seem that I had my hair. Then it hit me........... what was actually happening is that the henna dyed my scalp while dying my hair and THAT is what gave me a fuller looking head of hair.
    I've noticed the same thing with henna! I admit I've contemplated hennaing every week, but that would be expensive! And kind of a pain. The self tanner is really easy and is giving me the same effect.

Length
    33.8/Hip/thigh
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I recommend brushing with a toothbrush on those areas where the hair is the thinnest. Itīs important to get the circulation going in those areas so that the hair can benefit from all the nutrition (vitamins etc). Massaging those areas for 10 min everyday is also important.

I think the idea with sun tanner is great!
    Lady Geshtai of the Blessed Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by sibylla View Post
    I recommend brushing with a toothbrush on those areas where the hair is the thinnest. Itīs important to get the circulation going in those areas so that the hair can benefit from all the nutrition (vitamins etc). Massaging those areas for 10 min everyday is also important.

I think the idea with sun tanner is great!
    The toothbrush idea is great! I do massage with my fingers, but the toothbrush might make it easier. Something I try for circulation is bending over to touch my toes, and then just staying there for a while. It's a good stretch, and it gets blood flowing to the scalp! Though I have heard you aren't supposed to do this for very long at one time, probably 5 minutes would be the most I'd ever hold the position for.

Length
    Buzz/10"/Term
    Type
    3a/M/ii

I'm experiencing some crazy shedding/thinning going right now, and I'm thinking of calling the doctor first thing Monday morning b/c I have no idea what's going on...

I read your blog posts. Did you ever get to see a dermatologist?

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by GrowlingTurtlez View Post
    I'm experiencing some crazy shedding/thinning going right now, and I'm thinking of calling the doctor first thing Monday morning b/c I have no idea what's going on...

I read your blog posts. Did you ever get to see a dermatologist?
    Not yet! My appointment is in mid-November.

Good luck with your hair!