Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can it really be a year?! (picture heavy)

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Can it really be a year?! (picture heavy)

Well, I cannot believe I have been here for a whole year!
    Although, looking back, there is a lot to treasure from all I gleaned on LHC.

When I joined LHC, I had been a member on a French long hair forum for about 6 months, and had already switched to no-cones, SLS-free shampoo and henna: this means my time of TLC doesn't coincide with my arrival here, and some rather big changes had already been happening by then. (my hair suffered several perms and the last one, two years ago, caused so much damage that chunks of my hair basically fell out. By last October, TLC and henna were already beginning to do their work).

Here is my hair just before I started taking care of it, in Feb. 2008:

My hair had been permed 3 times in 3 years. It was 67 cm = 26" (BSL). The perm had discoloured my hair - it is naturally darker and richer in colour than this.

Here is how my hair looked like exactly a year ago, when I joined LHC:

It was 81 cm (almost 32") long.

I had a growth spurt last Autumn, but not all my hair grew at the same rate, and I was hating my straggly ends. This is a picture from late January, when I decided to trim obsessively, just so you can compare the state of my ends to today. My hair was only one inch shorter than it is now.

My hair was 34" (87cm) then. I decided to trim back to 85 cm (33.5") and trim all that grew out monthly for a while to thicken my hemline.

Last May, after a final 2-inch cut, I was back to last October's length (81cm = almost 32").

I haven't trimmed since May and my hair has grown pretty well over the summer. I have vowed not to cut until Christmas.
    Here are pictures taken yesterday - my hair was a bit fluffy as it had just been washed:

Here is a larger picture of the second one, as it doesn't look great in this smaller format). I was in full, strong, Mediterranean sunlight, and the larger picture shows the henna shades better.

My hair was just shy of 32" (81 cm) a year ago. It is now 35.5" (91 cm). Definitely not the best year growth-wise, but I just couldn't stand my straggly ends anymore. Let's say this year was more about quality than quantity.

My current goals? Keep using natural stuff, keep making most of my stuff; and grow my hair to classic length. Get a heat cap, and make a sleep cap. And enlarge my hairtoy collection, of course!

Here is what I'm thankful for after this year on LHC... LHC has brought me loads that I would never have found otherwise.

- Henna. I'd been hennaing for a few months before I joined, but the art of henna took up a whole new dimension when I read the invaluable articles and threads here. I have learned so much!

- SMT. This is one of the earliest things I experimented with when arriving here, and it is still my favourite. Thank you Snowymoon!

- all the information about pH, acidic rinses, etc. I'd never had any idea about all this before and wow! It made so much sense, and really, really helped diagnosing and taking care of problems.

- Updos! I've always loved experimenting with updos, and was so excited to get to learn many new ones through the fantastic tutorials here. Thanks everyone for sharing so generously.

- In the wake of the former, wearing my hair up more often to prevent damage. I did a "wear your hair up for xxx days" challenge – mine was 100 days and coincided with winter. It really helped preserving my hair during the cold months. I still wear my hair up most of the time.

- Hairtoys Man, have you guys enabled me... :P I now own 6 Ficcares, a few Flexis, and 2 pairs of Barefoot Maiden sticks (a 3rd being on its way to my mailbox as I type...). This may make you laugh, but I am truly grateful for all the enabling. I love putting together elegant outfits, and these really add the final touch.

- a whole different perspective on what makes the beauty of hair. The open-mindedness here is amazing. I'd never heard of fairytale endings before landing here, let alone imagined some people actually embraced them. This helped me relativize my own frustration at catching up on layers and a U-cut. I've learned that uneven ends could be considered attractive. This is why I've decided to stop trimming until December, even though my ends could be a bit more even.

- The inspiration... the amount of gorgeous hair here, and the variety – and the extremes one can find here, that, again, give a lesson in open-mindedness.
    I love the fact we each have a personal page, and albums. I've always seen this as a wonderful way for each member to stress and embrace his/her personal beauty (not just talking about hair or appearances here ).

- Lastly... This has been said oftentimes, and for a reason. The spirit here is unlike anywhere else. The kindness, the tolerance... The patience, the sharing.

Without a doubt, this year has been the most difficult and challenging in my life (which is why I simply stopped posting for a while around spring), and this community played no small part in indirectly helping me cope. I'm sure you would have helped me in a more direct manner, had I had the courage to post more personal matter on the Friendship board.

Enough blabbering... On to the essentials.
    Thanks everyone for the laughs, your friendliness, your advice and inspiration; and thanks to the mods for ensuring this place stays as special as it is.
    Last edited by Isa-belle; October 13th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.

Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Can it really be a year?! (picture heavy)

Congratulations!! I think you've had fabulous growth and your hair is beautiful.

As a newbie I really appreciate you explaining what you think have been the best benefit over the year, so thank you!

Waist+/Wavy/Layered Fairytale

Length
    16/44/52

What a nice recap to your first year here. Looks like you've put all that new knowledge to good use! Lovely pics, your trimming was just right.

On to another great year at LHC

Lady Mycenæ of the Golden City

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

o-o

I could've SWORN you've been here longer than me. o______O;;

Anyway, I'm glad you're here. We don't speak much, but I've always found you to be quite lovely. And your hair looks lovely.

And if you think -that's- enabling, you should see my hair-toy chest. You've a stronger will than I do. xD;
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

The changes in your hair between the first and last photos are incredible - you'd amazing hair to start with but it has just gone from strength to strength!! You're a wondeful example on what can be achieved on LHC.
    I do hope and pray that next year will be a much better one for you in your personal life.
    Gentle hug.

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Your hair is SO lovely! That length and your color look superb on you!
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Banned
    Length
    buzz/29.0/40
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

That large photo especially shows your hair's beauty. Your progress is inspirational. Best wishes on your future goals.

Account Closed by Member Request

You´ve only been here a year? I cannot believe it!

Beautiful hair, beautiful rest of you.

Length
    ??/56/??
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Congratulations! Your hair is beautiful and the recap of your journey was really interesting.

2a/M/iii - 56 inches

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    chin/tb/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! Amazing progress.