Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/4" = A mile?

Length
    10 in/35 in/47in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Default 1/4" = A mile?

Ok, so you may be slightly confused by the title. I recently got my ends trimmed due to split ends, and though it was only a 1/4" I feel like my hair is SOO SHORT now. I don't understand it. Even looking in the mirror my hair looks significantly shorter than it was.

Does anybody else go thru this? Or am I the only one? I mean in my head I know that I only lost 1/4" but oh my good gracious I could swear that I had at least 5" cut off. Perhaps there is some crazy serial barber out there breaking into homes and cutting people's hair!!! o_0

Anyway... so... yeah. Anyone else feel this way when they get their hair trimmed?

My Etsy shop!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    chin/tb/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: 1/4" = A mile?

Oh yes. I just trimmed 1 1/2 - 2 inches a couple of days ago. I feel that it's around BSL. I know it's not (still hovering around hip to TB), but it was just starting to feel long to me before I cut it. It's amazing how a little itty bitty bit of length can change how it feels on your back.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Did you *see* the trimmings on the floor? Were they 1/4 inch?

That said, there is a tremendous difference in freshly cut ends. They feel altogether unlike the old ones.

Length
    17/39.5/42
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I feel the same way. Even when I'm trimming it myself I feel like I cut of half of my hair even if its half and inch

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Eyebrow raised here... did you trim it yourself or see the trimmed ends? Perhaps a bit more than 1/4" was actually taken off!
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

That's how I feel. Since the damaged ends are gone, the shrinkage is incredible, and I keep thinking, where is my hair?
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I understand exactly how you feel. I haven't had a trim since Feb 2nd of this year, and don't plan on trimming until at least sometime next year. I'm dead set on growing out to my terminal length, so taking ANYTHING off is really counter intuitive.

Are you SURE you had only 1/4 of an inch taken off??? Honestly the difference between say 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch to maybe even 3/4 of an inch isn't that noticeable when your getting it taken off. However, when you're finished with your trim, the difference is definitely noticeable when you stare at yourself in the mirror. Maybe you actually accidently had more than 1/4 of an inch taken off.

Your hair texture is 1c. Perhaps even taking off the bits of your ends was enough to encourage your hair's slight natural waves to spring up even further, thus contributing to the shrinkage factor.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm also going to say "are you sure"? The number of times I've had the hairdresser show me how much they were going to cut off (usually 2-5 cm) and I'll end up with 20 cm or more on the floor... Hm.
    Last edited by Flynn; October 9th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Definatley! I trimmed the hair last week. Feels like I cut off two years of growth... But I think it's all in our heads.

Type
    1a/F/i

Oh, yeah, I feel naked every time I take off something, but I'm the only one seeing it. And I've asked around

Nini

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.