Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Locks of Love broke my heart

Length
    15 in/15 in/20 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How Locks of Love broke my heart

I promised a woman two years ago that I would donate the next time they came to my school. I think I'll reconsider now. Thank you.
    My goal is to grow 3 inches before prom.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Please don't regret selling your hair to them. The most important thing is that your heart was in the right place when you done so. It was a lovely gesture on your part.
    As the old saying goes "It's the thought that counts."

I don't want to defend LOL. In fact, I don't know a lot about them.

But I do have a question. You're donating something of yours to an organization, which will turn around and re-sell it to those in need. How is this different from, say, Goodwill? They do exactly the same thing. Take your old things and re-sell them to those in need.

Are they wigs they sell not reasonably priced?

It is because the donated things are not available to the general public?

Is it because places like Goodwill also give back to the community by employing individuals with special needs?

Do they mis-represent themselves, whereas thrift stores are more transparant as to what happens with your donations?

As I've said, there may be more going on here than I know about. I'd be shocked if there wasn't. But the inherent concept seems okay to me. Especially if they use their profits to give back to the community, or give to research foundations.

Please educate me!

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Yup. L.O.L makes a killing on hair and soo many people are willing to hack it off for them without getting the full facts. However, you raised money so it wasn't for nothing. I myself didn't know this either about LOL until I came to these boards and did some research. Also a lot of the hair gets tossed out not just sold. I am glad you donate your time to helping these kids and making it less painful for them. I just had an IV placed in the other day. Now that it is taken out I have a bruise the size of a nickel on my arm, not to meantion the IV hurt once it was in (amen for morphine shot) Kudos to you
    Last edited by lora410; October 8th, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Account Closed by Member Request

Thank you for sharing your story.

Yours brings a recent exchange to mind that I had with my dental hygienist last week. I had to take my hair down because the bun was killing my head when she had me tipped back. She hadn't seen my length before; so that prompted the LOL convo.

After 10 minutes of explaining LOL to her she was that so many people donate, and she too assumed it was for wigs for kid's who had cancer--And no idea that they SELL the wigs--I hadn't even gotten to the selling donated hair yet. The wigs they give to kids with alopecia cost between $3500-$6000 depending on the financial needs of the family. She sat, listening intently stunned. She thanked me for telling her about it and I'm not opposed to people donating and offered Pantene's program as an alternative. They provide wigs for women with CANCER or who are going through cancer treatments and they provide them for FREE.

I joked with her that I'm donating everything when I check out of this world because I'm not going to need this extra stuff where I'm going Plus, I donate blood due to having a rare blood type and not many of us do.

OP, I think what you did was a selfless act of kindness...For that, you will not lose your reward. It is up to LOL to do the right thing with what you did so graciously. Shame on them on one point, but in a way I'm thankful because this slight indignity has ignited a fire in your belly to educate...For that I am thankful!!

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    I don't want to defend LOL. In fact, I don't know a lot about them.

But I do have a question. You're donating something of yours to an organization, which will turn around and re-sell it to those in need. How is this different from, say, Goodwill? They do exactly the same thing. Take your old things and re-sell them to those in need.

Are they wigs they sell not reasonably priced?

It is because the donated things are not available to the general public?

Is it because places like Goodwill also give back to the community by employing individuals with special needs?

Do they mis-represent themselves, whereas thrift stores are more transparant as to what happens with your donations?

As I've said, there may be more going on here than I know about. I'd be shocked if there wasn't. But the inherent concept seems okay to me. Especially if they use their profits to give back to the community, or give to research foundations.

Please educate me!
    GW and LOL: GW people know their donated items will be sold at GW. LOL, people are under the impression that wigs will be given to kids with cancer. When in fact, most are suffering from Alopecia which is not non-life threatening.

The wigs are sold between $3500-$6000 on a sliding scale depending on the needs of the family.

Most of the hair that is donated is deemed "unacceptable" and therefore sold for profit.

HTH

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker223 View Post
    S I'm one of those people who can hold a grudge forever... I'm hispanic you know .

Nothing like a good feud to make the blood pump just right
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

I don't think that LoL particularly misrepresent themselves. Rather, other people misrepresent what they do, and LoL's "sin" is that they do little or nothing to put people straight on the facts, perhaps because they figure that "all publicity is good publicity". When actually asked, they seem to answer truthfully, but they don't volunteer the facts, and they seem to justify it in terms of not wanting to upset the donors.

That said, even if they were everything that people say they are, which they aren't, I'd never donate my hair. It takes too long to grow. Is that selfish? Probably no more so than refusing to donate all my possessions to the poor and take a vow of poverty.

Length
    23/23/35
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

OP:

Your post is lovely.

I'm so happy you've found a way to feed your soul.
    On top of that, I seriously respect a talented phlebotomist!
    You are doing wonderful things with your skills.

Cheers

Length
    tb/tb+/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I loved reading your story, mbaker, though I'm sorry that you felt betrayed after donating your hair with such good intentions.

What you are doing now, with donating your time and skills, is just wonderful!