Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: henna ruined my hair...help?

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: henna ruined my hair...help?

Quote Originally Posted by piratejenny23 View Post
    well maybe that's just propaganda perpetuated by the chemical dye companies

people have been using this stuff for centuries so it doesn't make sense that it's horribly damaging!!!

as i recall, my hair felt fine for a while after the henna so a strand test doesn't really predict what's going to happen 6 months down the road!

if i henna/wreck my hair now it would take me 4 or 5 years to get it back to this length. so i'm nervous!
    When in doubt, don't do it! If you hair is doing well other than some lightening on the ends perhaps a dusting every now and then will help to keep the colour "even."

Length
    12"/42"/Term!
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

islandgrrl, a henna gloss sounds great! thanks!

luluj, what do you mean by a "dusting"?

Miss Blue Head. :) BlackfootHair's Avatar
    In front of the mirror looking for whites.
    Length
    23/Apl/35
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

If you have an Indian store nearby and see Dulhan henna, it is a good brand. Very finely sifted, no sticks or twigs, and even has an expiration date on it. Mine has a manufacture date, and expiry date.

Henna would start to dry my hair out too, but I just did a few heavy oil treatments and that helped. It's really about giving your hair what it needs.
    Rest in peace, little kitty.

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

henna and herbs can definetely be drying and if you're hair and scalp are already on the dry side, then you need to tackle that as well. Any henna brand and natural herbs will do this to your hair.

A henna gloss is a good idea. If you want color though, you have to use straight henna paste for best results. Use a moisturizing shampoo, like the ever popular shampoo bars out there. Extra conditioner, or a hair oil you like. If you add these ingredients to your hair regimen, for the future, you can use henna and be happy with the results.

Also skip out on the acidic lemon juice for the henna mix. That too is drying. Just add a nice tea brew if you'd like or just plain warm water