Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever use an apprentice stylist?

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Ever use an apprentice stylist?

Chiming in here as a beauty school attendant, though not quite at the level of having my own clients yet I can tell you that most of the senior members of my school are very good at what they do and are often more careful and willing to listen out of fear of messing up! Also, depending on what school you go to there should always be an instructor monitoring that student. Good luck!

Length
    22.5/32/inf.
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Yes, Iàm a cheapskate so the last haircut I had was by a "trainee" although she was supervised by the stylist. I was worried, and of course she did the usual ripping comb through wet hair, but I thought this was because she was a trainee... Nope, when the stylist came over to check on her work he RRRRIPPED the comb even worse :s
    Amazingly I don't think they caused any more splits between them...
    The cut was just as good as if the top stylist had done it, they just used a bit too much shine serum is all, lol

I don't think it really matters the price you pay, just that the person understands what YOU want and doesn't think they know better than you...

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I went to a beauty school to get my hair layered once. It was a $5 hair cut (including wash and style!) and it was incredible. He spent a very long time layering it (my hair is very thick, but still considerably longer than an "official" hairstylist). He probably spent over an hour on the whole thing, which I thought was a long time. He paid incredible attention and detail to what he was doing, and was very friendly. I think it was personally the best haircut I've ever had. The best part was, he actually listened to what I wanted! (Of course, he was being graded for it, but still...)

I whole-heartedly support beauty schools.

Goals: APL : BSL : Midback :Waist : Virgin

Length
    17?/23?/tb???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Communication is key ... I went to a beauty school a few times when I lived in California. All but one were good experiences - I was thrilled.

The less than great: The picture I was looking at did not look all that short. The instructor made the initial cut - student finished. I felt bald and froze all winter that year. I think most guys had longer hair ... *shudder*

There is no such thing as when it comes to your expectation! Ask for a hand mirror and have them show you where they are going to make the first snip so you can see what they are talking about ...

"Embracing all that *Sparkles*!"
    ~ Renegray Gang Member~

Length
    pix/shldr/bs?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Yep, back at sweet home Budapest, apprentice hairdressers come for free - even is trendy downtown salons. Results of the few times i went to them: cute, supercute, excellent, DISASTER. Just so you know, it might have risks

No, i wasn't fair here. After the poor thing was trying to do something to my hair for about 2 hours, without really knowing himself what, i just broke down in tears, so a more experienced & talented one immediately took me over, and i ended up with a cute haircut. Although a lot shorter than what i expected.

And no, you don't have much of a say in what happens to you, but you do have some. They won't do a half inch trim - what is there to learn from that for the apprentice anyway? But they do have some great long hair cuts they might want to try. Most probably, layers are an inevitable outcome.

Hope i did help some...

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thanks, everyone! My two-week waiting period is up on Thursday, so if I still feel like I want to get rid of some hair, I will call my old salon. I'm wavering between APL and long bob; in either case I want something that can grow out neatly because chances are I will let it grow again.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by free_hug View Post
    Yep, back at sweet home Budapest, apprentice hairdressers come for free - even is trendy downtown salons. Results of the few times i went to them: cute, supercute, excellent, DISASTER. Just so you know, it might have risks
    There is one MAJOR difference between an apprentice in the US and one in Europe. Here, stylists go to school and then either to a chop shop or on to apprentice before working in a high end salon. In Europe, the apprenticeship is longer, but it replaces school, so your experience was with someone equivalent to a US beauty school student.