Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing for henna... is a little coconut oil on the hair OK?

Default Re: Preparing for henna... is a little coconut oil on the hair OK?

That was me! (re: Ktani's profile comments)

I've added coconut oil to my mix in the past and had a smoother rinsing process (sooo necessary during the classic length phase), without losing any stain power. But the past few hennas I've oiled my hair at least an hour (once the night before, twice the day of, and once right about the hour before) before applying henna and ended up with silky post-henna hair, a smooth rinse, and crazy awesome stain. I've tweaked my method some, so the coconut oil may not be assisting the uptake, but it is most definitely not hindering it at all.

So, yeah, go nuts with the coconut oil, it's totally ok. In fact, I've also found it to help with applying the henna to my hair, without needing to dampen it first. I've shampooed with sulfates the day before, and the day of, hennas before and aside from resulting in crazy dry hair after hennaing, having "totally clean hair" didn't do squat for the dye uptake. I feel like there was a lot more fading after hennaing over freshly shampooed hair versus coconut oiled/dirty hair.

Length
    2/2/bsl

Good to know Zombiekins, thanks

Type
    4a/F/M/ii/iii

I always henna 'dirty' hair these days. I only use shea butter and coconut oil on my hair anyway and I figure that 4 hours of henna can overpower those two Plus my hair seems slightly less dry afterwards.

Length
    8"/neck/MBL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

FWIW

I usually add EVOO to my mix-i have not noticed any less staining, but then again my hair is pretty dark to begin with...
    Righteously Curly Yes I am!

Length
    chin/shldr/bsl
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiekins View Post
    That was me! (re: Ktani's profile comments)

I've added coconut oil to my mix in the past and had a smoother rinsing process (sooo necessary during the classic length phase), without losing any stain power. But the past few hennas I've oiled my hair at least an hour (once the night before, twice the day of, and once right about the hour before) before applying henna and ended up with silky post-henna hair, a smooth rinse, and crazy awesome stain. I've tweaked my method some, so the coconut oil may not be assisting the uptake, but it is most definitely not hindering it at all.

So, yeah, go nuts with the coconut oil, it's totally ok. In fact, I've also found it to help with applying the henna to my hair, without needing to dampen it first. I've shampooed with sulfates the day before, and the day of, hennas before and aside from resulting in crazy dry hair after hennaing, having "totally clean hair" didn't do squat for the dye uptake. I feel like there was a lot more fading after hennaing over freshly shampooed hair versus coconut oiled/dirty hair.
    Wow. I might have to try this my next henna treatment! I love henna. I do not care for the bleeding/tangles/forever rinse out process though. This might be a solution.
    10/25/10 - Chopped.
    Learning to braid.

Length
    27/30/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I oil with coconut before my henna gloss, with no noticeable difference in the results. Except my hair is nicer, after.