Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does hair "separate" into sections..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    2-3"/9-10"/<20"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Why does hair "separate" into sections..

..and how do you prevent this?

I noticed my hair would try to do this when longer, and I hated how it looked. What I mean is when it would separate into "chunks" that would try to do their own thing and just look like a scraggly mess in general. It would tend to happen below the neck. How does one get the hair not to do this, and why does some people's hair do it while others seem to have nice hair that stays put all day long in one flowing section?

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Why does hair "separate" into sections..

I don't know either, because mine does this and it really bothers me. I do find, however, that dirtier hair does it sooner, oiling also makes it happen more, and if I comb my hair I can hide this stringiness for a few minutes anyway.

I often mix my leave ins with hair gel in order to prevent this.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I would love to know, as well, and to know how to prevent this.
    My hair started doing this at around hip length and it's been very frustrating.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Isa-belle View Post
    I would love to know, as well, and to know how to prevent this.
    My hair started doing this at around hip length and it's been very frustrating.
    Hip?!? LOL! Wow, mine does it at chin length . You have beautiful hair Isa-belle!

My unofficial verdict to the question 'how does that girl's hair all hang together?', is: fine yet voluminous hair stays together better. I think the more hair you have, the more it'll appear to hang 'together', and it's on a sliding scale related to amount of hair. Mine will always be on the thin side so I have given up the quest.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post
    Hip?!? LOL! Wow, mine does it at chin length . You have beautiful hair Isa-belle!

My unofficial verdict to the question 'how does that girl's hair all hang together?', is: fine yet voluminous hair stays together better. I think the more hair you have, the more it'll appear to hang 'together', and it's on a sliding scale related to amount of hair. Mine will always be on the thin side so I have given up the quest.
    I've got fine hair and lots of it, and it gets stringy very easily. I think it's because I insist on using shampoo bars, even though sulphate 'poo washes my hair better, so my hair is always slightly greasy, even when "clean".
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thank you so much MsBubbles
    The thing is, the hair in my pictures is almost always freshly brushed. It doesn't stay that way for long. It used to when my hair was shorter, down to waist length. Then it started doing these clumps I hate. This is one of the reasons why I don't wear my hair down for long periods of time - I hate, hate the clumps that occur after something like 30 minutes.
    As much as I would love growing my hair to classic, I'm often on the verge of cutting it shorter just to get rid of this.

I have do voluminous hair - the individual strands are fine to medium but I have lots of it.

The BBB definitely helps, too, but I don't like how flat it makes my hair look (it breaks my waves).

Quote Originally Posted by Honestwitness View Post
    My hair is APL and I have this problem, too. I have discovered that certain fabrics make it worse and certain fabrics make it look better, if I am wearing my hair down. I have one knit top that makes it look awful. You can see it in my "Hair Weaknesses" album. I believe there must be lots of microscopic fibers sticking out of the knit fabric that grab onto my hair strands like velcro. As I move my head from side to side throughout the day, these little fibers work to "spin" my hair strands into little corkscrews that repel each other.

On the other hand, I have a jacket (it's the flowery one in purples, turquoises, and pinks) that has a very smooth, slick surface. My hair hangs very nicely when I wear it. You can see photos in my "Hair Progress" album.
    That is probably a very good point Only silk blouses from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by Isa-belle View Post
    The BBB definitely helps, too, but I don't like how flat it makes my hair look (it breaks my waves).
    Same here. It's always trade-off time--the brushing makes my hair greasier faster, and flatter...but it does smoothen out the ends and sections of hair together. Momentarily anyway.

Account Closed by Member Request

I have no advice I'm afraid but I just wanted to say that I actually love it when my hair does that and like it on other people too ... I think it looks natural and wild

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
    I have no advice I'm afraid but I just wanted to say that I actually love it when my hair does that and like it on other people too ... I think it looks natural and wild
    I love this!

Thanks for planting that seed in my head, Tangerine.

Account Closed by Member Request

I love this!

Thanks for planting that seed in my head, Tangerine.
    You're welcome