Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does hair "separate" into sections..

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Why does hair "separate" into sections..

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post
    Hip?!? LOL! Wow, mine does it at chin length . You have beautiful hair Isa-belle!

My unofficial verdict to the question 'how does that girl's hair all hang together?', is: fine yet voluminous hair stays together better. I think the more hair you have, the more it'll appear to hang 'together', and it's on a sliding scale related to amount of hair. Mine will always be on the thin side so I have given up the quest.
    Thank you so much MsBubbles
    The thing is, the hair in my pictures is almost always freshly brushed. It doesn't stay that way for long. It used to when my hair was shorter, down to waist length. Then it started doing these clumps I hate. This is one of the reasons why I don't wear my hair down for long periods of time - I hate, hate the clumps that occur after something like 30 minutes.
    As much as I would love growing my hair to classic, I'm often on the verge of cutting it shorter just to get rid of this.

I have do voluminous hair - the individual strands are fine to medium but I have lots of it.

The BBB definitely helps, too, but I don't like how flat it makes my hair look (it breaks my waves).

Quote Originally Posted by Honestwitness View Post
    My hair is APL and I have this problem, too. I have discovered that certain fabrics make it worse and certain fabrics make it look better, if I am wearing my hair down. I have one knit top that makes it look awful. You can see it in my "Hair Weaknesses" album. I believe there must be lots of microscopic fibers sticking out of the knit fabric that grab onto my hair strands like velcro. As I move my head from side to side throughout the day, these little fibers work to "spin" my hair strands into little corkscrews that repel each other.

On the other hand, I have a jacket (it's the flowery one in purples, turquoises, and pinks) that has a very smooth, slick surface. My hair hangs very nicely when I wear it. You can see photos in my "Hair Progress" album.
    That is probably a very good point Only silk blouses from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by Isa-belle View Post
    The BBB definitely helps, too, but I don't like how flat it makes my hair look (it breaks my waves).
    Same here. It's always trade-off time--the brushing makes my hair greasier faster, and flatter...but it does smoothen out the ends and sections of hair together. Momentarily anyway.

Length
    13"/36"/36-38
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My hair usually does this "separating", but I've found for whatever reason, it only does it on the very back of my hair where I really can't see it without the aid of two mirrors and I never know what it is up to....My best solution....don't look at the back of my hair!

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Quixii View Post
    Yeah, curlies and some wurlies are pretty much stuck with those clumps, and probably desire them.
    I didn't realize straight (or straightish) hair would do that too, though. ...I honestly can't even picture it.
    Well here's one for starters! And believe me, it's by no means the worst shot of my hair like that - this one actually looks pretty good. I used to have one up in my album but I took it back off again.

Nylon/synthetic tops work best with my hair. Silk doesn't help me.
    Last edited by MsBubbles; October 2nd, 2009 at 06:54 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post
    I love this!

Thanks for planting that seed in my head, Tangerine.
    You're welcome

Length
    22'/22'/bsl+
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have this happening on lots of areas of my head. For me, it is due to underlayer cowlicks forcing large sections of the hair closest to my scalp to grow in a certain direction, which I can see if I lift the canopy hair. Over the day time, the canopy starts to "cling" or "move" with the underlayer and starts to create separate sections. I hate it.

I'm hoping if I can get past shoulders I can keep it behind my back easier and eventually "train" it to grow in the same direction (backwards), but I'm sure it will take a very long time.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I don't know why it does it, but I think it's something that really plagues 1cs and 2as. It seems like the more curl/wave hair has, the more it separates into chunks. We've got enough wave to get the chunks and strings, but not enough for it to look wavy when it does this!

I know that's not much help, but I can tell you that it often looks better if you try to accentuate the wave more. Plomping your hair and all that stuff.... Or you can do my magical trick to deal with stringiness: put it in a bun!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I don't know why it does it, but I think it's something that really plagues 1cs and 2as. It seems like the more curl/wave hair has, the more it separates into chunks. We've got enough wave to get the chunks and strings, but not enough for it to look wavy when it does this!
    That makes a lot of sense Anje... This describes my own problem exactly. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I know that's not much help, but I can tell you that it often looks better if you try to accentuate the wave more. Plomping your hair and all that stuff.... Or you can do my magical trick to deal with stringiness: put it in a bun!
    What do you mean by plomping the hair?
    Oh, and yeah: bunning is also my solution #1 to stop worrying about stringiness

Length
    waist/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I only have a few clumps which clump into spiral curls but I comb constantly and (just recently) brush so all of the hair separates so it looks like a curtain instead of fringe.
    Lady Delgado of the Red Rose Tower in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Plomping (maybe it's plopping?) is a method you sometimes see described where you basically let your hair dry in a pile, rather than hanging loose. One method is to just lower your wet hair onto a T-shirt, then somehow bundle that around your head so that the hair dries in that compressed shape. Piling it on your pillow while you sleep and it dries works too, but my usual, semi-accidental method is just to let it dry loose in my sleeping bonnet (tres sexy!). I get much stronger waves in the morning.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!