Results 3,971 to 3,980 of 8749

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

Just wanted to drop in for a quick share. I finally Finally FINALLY made it one whole month of pure WO with no greasy/icky/itchy/stick i want to shampoo feeling !!!! I did end up doing a CO+BS at about 6 weeks since i got sick of my hair taking so long to dry. It helped that some and my scalp feels nice but now i have some crispy hay-like feeling at my nape and my ends which tangles alot more so trying to sort that out. Still very happy to know i am capapble of making it to a month with just WO.

Length
    pixie/MBL/hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead View Post
    I'm wondering if you have high acidity. Have you considered your diet as far as acid vs. alkaline (ph level)? Maybe it's all that nutella and pancakes you've got going on over there? !
    Well, the thing is I haven't really changed anything about my diet - not that I'm aware of anyway. I do agree, though, that diet has a huge influence of the condition of hair but to figure out a culprit as far as specific foods go will take some time in my case. I'm not aware of any allergies for instance. I also think I eat fairly healthfully (focus on fruit, veg and whole grains) but I do "sin" . I like steaks and wine

I think I'll just go slowly. It's taken me a year to get from almost daily S/C to once a week rhassoul plus occasional dry shampoo. Things have improved steadily and since I'm not washing very often all experiments take a LONG time anyway...

Anyway, all is good on this corner of the world! I'm thinking about writing a mini-blog about my SO experience.
    Definitely do! It's great to get positive experiences. I dare say not too many have made that journey
    less is more
    1c / M / ii

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
    Well, the thing is I haven't really changed anything about my diet - not that I'm aware of anyway. I do agree, though, that diet has a huge influence of the condition of hair but to figure out a culprit as far as specific foods go will take some time in my case. I'm not aware of any allergies for instance. I also think I eat fairly healthfully (focus on fruit, veg and whole grains) but I do "sin" . I like steaks and wine

I think I'll just go slowly. It's taken me a year to get from almost daily S/C to once a week rhassoul plus occasional dry shampoo. Things have improved steadily and since I'm not washing very often all experiments take a LONG time anyway...
    Slowly can be good. In stretching out you washes has the acne begun to show itself after a longer period of time? Are you seeing an improvement there at least?

Definitely do! It's great to get positive experiences. I dare say not too many have made that journey
    I know I'm not the only one, but yeah, there's not too many of us. It might take me a little while though. Since my hair has fully transitioned, I am no longer obsessing over it and have time to complete other things in my life. LOL!

------------------------------------------------------

It's been the ominous 14weeks since I began my NW/SO journey, and I'm glad I stuck it out. I have the last two weeks of pictures, unfortunately there's been a problem with loading them on the server lately, but I'll get them up as soon as possible. In any case, I know, smell wise, I transitioned at 12.5 weeks, but even since then there has been an improvement, as in something in my hair relaxed, and there's more softness and shine coming from within the hair itself. I've been oiling about every 4 to 5 days with olive oil, and today my hair looks wonderful, healthy and clean. I've learnt that I need to add moisture when my hair begins to lose it's colour tone somewhat.

I don't know if I'll have anything to report after this, but you can be sure I'll be poking around and supporting anyone else going through the process!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and happy preening!
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Post Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    Just wanted to drop in for a quick share. I finally Finally FINALLY made it one whole month of pure WO with no greasy/icky/itchy/stick i want to shampoo feeling !!!! I did end up doing a CO+BS at about 6 weeks since i got sick of my hair taking so long to dry. It helped that some and my scalp feels nice but now i have some crispy hay-like feeling at my nape and my ends which tangles alot more so trying to sort that out. Still very happy to know i am capapble of making it to a month with just WO.
    congrats!!! thats a huge accomplishment!

i've always found BS to be quite harsh-- next time you're feeling like you want to cut back on some of the sebum, you might consider doing a tea rinse. it's acidic, but very mild
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post
    congrats!!! thats a huge accomplishment!

i've always found BS to be quite harsh-- next time you're feeling like you want to cut back on some of the sebum, you might consider doing a tea rinse. it's acidic, but very mild
    thank you been a long time since ive tried tea rinses, glad for the reminder

Length
    Hip/Fgtip/More!

piratejenny, I use a fine-toothed comb too. Actually, I use a wooden fine-toothed comb first (1.5mm spacing), and then I use a plastic super-fine-toothed comb (~1mm spacing) and THAT really gets the job done. I dry clean it multiple times before I'm done (with a nail brush), and I also wash the plastic comb with soap and warm water quite regularly.
    I am actually waiting to receive a so-called "dust removing comb" (0.7mm spacing). It should work even better.

Off-topic: Bedhead, do you live in the French-speaking part of Canada? I have cousins living in Montreal (they're French like me, but they moved to the US 15 years ago, and went to uni in Montreal).

I just hit the 7-week mark today.
    My hair is extremely soft and smooth, and it smells nice on the length, but still a bit strong on the scalp.
    I had a lot of work this week and could not SMP as regularly and for as long as I'd normally like to. It's now been a couple of days since I resumed normal daily SMPing and it is nearly back to what it's been lately, although my scalp is a little oilier and itchier than usual. I even found some flakes for the first time in ages (TMI: I'm on my period so that may be why).

I have actually been thinking of your 7-week mark experience, Bedhead, to keep my resolve, because I have been less happy with my hair lately and I have been thinking of powdering it with cinnamon/ginger, etc. and even rinsing.

I'm thinking about writing a mini-blog about my SO experience.
    Oh yes, please do. I have had a very similar experience to yours, and if it wasn't for your posts, I would have given up and moved on to another experience weeks ago.
    Your experience may help others interested in this method...

Also, for the first time in months (if not years), I wore my hair in a half-up (cinnabun) out of the house. I initially felt a little self-conscious, but when nobody commented on it, I relaxed about it. I worried the bun would fall out but my 60th Street Production three-prong fork held like a rock.

Congratulations on the 14-week mark and fully transitioning, Bedhead!

I wanted to upload some NW pictures too, but the server kept returning an error message...

I have worked out that I'll hit the 12-week mark on DBF's 30th birthday (June 2nd).
    I am not sure whether I'll carry on past that date, but as long as the smell is not too bad, there is no reason to change anything. "If it ain't broke..."
    Hip...Tailbone...Classic...Fingertip...?

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

What dry shampoos do people use? I'm probably going to try cocoa powder tomorrow on my hair since I over-did it with the coconut oil. Ginger sounds like it might be a good option for my fair-haired daughter.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    What dry shampoos do people use? I'm probably going to try cocoa powder tomorrow on my hair since I over-did it with the coconut oil. Ginger sounds like it might be a good option for my fair-haired daughter.
    I use corn starch dusted in with a blush brush. After styling, a very superficial surface brushing with a baby brush or soft BBB removes enough on the surface that my hair does not look powdered. Cocoa probably would have worked for me, but it was lumpy and a little bit moister than corn starch.

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Post Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    thank you been a long time since ive tried tea rinses, glad for the reminder
    no problem
    out of curiosity, what kinds of tea rinses have you previously used? i'm always up for trying new teas in my hair

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    i didnt even know there WAS such a thing as ginger powder!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    I use corn starch dusted in with a blush brush. After styling, a very superficial surface brushing with a baby brush or soft BBB removes enough on the surface that my hair does not look powdered. Cocoa probably would have worked for me, but it was lumpy and a little bit moister than corn starch.
    i havent used it yet, but when i do, corn starch will be my powder of choice as well. thanks for the tip about using the blush brush, DoubleCrowned!!!
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post
    i didnt even know there WAS such a thing as ginger powder!
    I just used the dried ginger powder in my spice drawer, you know, for cooking. It worked OK, but was a bit too yellow for her hair. Next time I may use cinnamon or cinnamon/corn starch blend. I used cocoa powder for my own head and it was pretty good for soaking up my excess coconut oil. Smelled good too.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes