Thread: can coconut oil go bad?

Length
    9"/20"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default can coconut oil go bad?

is is possible for cocunut oil to spoil? i have a small tub of it in my bathroom closet that i use for hair only & its starting to have a different smell than usual. also, would it hurt the hair to continue to use it? it doesn't hold a smell when on the hair...just notice it when i first open the plastic container
    Long term henna head currently growing out my hair. Currently shoulder length. Goal, bra strap length.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: can cocunut oil go bad?

Every oil can go bad. Later or sooner if stored too warm, humid or taken out of the tub with dirty hands for example.
    I wouldn´t put rancid oil on my hair, even if it does not smell bad for a long time the processes in there are going on... possible molder and other not very healthy things.

Length
    9"/20"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

okay, thanks. i think its time to make a run to the health food store.
    tami
    Long term henna head currently growing out my hair. Currently shoulder length. Goal, bra strap length.

Length
    pixie/SL/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

of cource it can go bad, it is oil... but usually coconutoils have expirationdates? does yours have? for example in my coconutoiljar (1l.) has date in 2012 and I bought it a few months ago... (actually I buy 4l. every 3moths, so it really doesnt have time to go bad... we eat it alot, the whole family...)

So i'd check if there is a date somewhere in the bottle? is it totally clear when liquid? it should smell just a little bit like coconuts, nothing else.

How long have you hade it? is it posible you have taken it for example with your hand? bacteria could get in to the bottle that way or have you allways used for example a clean spoon??

but the anwer to your question, yes it can go bad and if it has I personally would not use it anymore...

Type
    1a/M/iii

Hmm.. it sounds like your oil might have gone rancid. Maybe storing it in your bathroom (where it can get warm from showers, etc) accelerated the spoiling process? I'd say go ahead and pitch it because, if nothing else, the rancid oil smell tends to really "stick" to things like hair.

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Yes, I once bought a coconut oil which smelled rancid and I returned it to the shop. Like all oils, if they are not stored in the right way or if they are too old they get rancid.

Length
    17/waist/knee
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Arrow Re: can cocunut oil go bad?

All oil can go bad. Although, since coconut oil does not have mono and poly unsaturated fats in it like olive oil and flax oil and such it does not go bad quickly. My coconut oil has an expiration date of 2 years from now and I bought it a month ago. The saturated fats in coconut oil protect it from quickly going rancid.

I read a whole book about oils and heat, light,air and such can make any oil go bad.

By the way, what is the rancid smell like with your coconut oil?
    Lady Cocoa Silk of the Longhaired Knights!
    My beautiful dark chocolate colored hair flowing through the winds
    toward the shaded canopy of chocolate trees.

Length
    17"/tb/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Yes, coconut oil can go bad. Also, the smell you're getting might be from the plastic container. I find that things kept in plastic for long periods of time (even things with very distinct smells--ex: coconut oil) start to smell like plastic after a while. Maybe the next time you go to purchase some, you should try looking for a glass jar. Mine is in a glass jar that's about the size and shape of a mason jar. I use a spoon to get the amount I need instead of putting my fingers in it, and I haven't noticed any odd smells yet. I got it at our local co-op/organic store.

Length
    17?/23?/tb???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

My understanding is - coconut oil has a long shelf life (a couple years?) IF the moisture content has been lowered enough. This is why I have been a slave to Tropical Traditions brand - stored at room temp all year it's still fine and pure white or clear where the usual healthfood store brand always smells a little off and frequently is beginning to yellow or loose the clarity.

"Embracing all that *Sparkles*!"
    ~ Renegray Gang Member~

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I found some moldy looking stuff growing at the top of a jar of coconut oil one time. I just scaped out the top inch or so and kept on using it. The stuff below the mold didn't look or smell bad. I think I must have contaminated it by scooping it out with dirty fingers or a dirty spoon. I go by looks and smell not by expiration dates.

I am not here to decorate your world