Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does henna make your hair fall out?

Length
    22.5/32/inf.
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Unhappy Does henna make your hair fall out?

I'm at the end of my $#!*% rope with my hair at the moment. I'm losing 200+ hairs a day (I only count the ones after detangling) and apparently have lost half an inch of my ponytail circumference in the space of a week (3.5 down to 3). My memory may be rubbish but I still think I would have noticed if I had always lost this much hair a day.
    I've been using henna for almost a year now and indigo for half that time. Now my mum has informed me that since she used cassia she has been losing more hair per day. I'm starting to think that the 'miracle of henna' might not work so well for those of us with finer hair

I'd cut all my hair off right now if I wasn't such a wimp I don't want long hair only to be picking it off the floor and chucking it in the bin all day.

For now anyway I'm giving up on Indian herbs.. Maybe they only work well for people with nice strong hair. I'll use my Burt's bees and some nondescript condish instead.

I really hope it's not the case, but I need to know: Is my hair too fragile for henna?

Length
    apl/waist/tbone
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Does henna make your hair fall out?

As far as I know, henna usually improves ponytail circumference because it coats the hair making it coarser. I have never experienced hair loss after henna. I had a little shedding when I rinsed henna, but not after.
    Have you changed anything in your routine? Maybe you should eat healthier, or take vitamins?
    Maybe you just pull some hair while you henna. Sometimes, expecially when the mud is solidifying on my head, I feel some hair pulling, maybe this is the case, expecially since you said your mother had hair loss with cassia. If she had it with cassia, and you had it with henna, maybe it is something physical more than chemical.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I'm sorry you are loosing hair!

Henna never made my hair falling off.

Are you sure you are shedding or if they are broken hairs? Another thing to consider, is that maybe you are having a seasonal shedding, it's common in the autumn.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Don't do henna for a good long while, see if hair loss diminishes. If so, no more henna.

I hated henna, but not because of hair loss.

Length
    20"/23"/hips
    Type
    1a/F/i

1) Has anything else changed in your daily life: diet, less sleep, weight gain/loss, STRESS???
    I have found that all these above greatly impact the growth of my hair, and the amount I shed...Along with our lovely lady friend that drops by every month, I tend to shed a LOT more around this time...Pardon if that was too much info., but it is something to consider...

2) What is your henna mix?
    I've found that sometimes with my really fine (and thin hair) that after I have essentially a hardened mud pile of henna/henndigo/fenugreek/amla/whatever I will have slightly more shedding then usually, and I always get so worried, even though I know it is probably just from harder than usual pulling on the hairs while rinsing, or whatever related to the pilling of something on my head, leaving it there, and then taking it off... But this never has ever near 200 hairs...I do also think that when you have fine hair, stuff can build up on the hairs more quickly and cause them to fall out, or break off...

3) What and how were you using the indian herbs? Aisha, or some of the other awesome peeps on these forums can definitely set you straight if they see if there is anything harmful in your routine...Maybe you even have a sever allergy to something?

I also TOTALLY agree with spidermom, if your hair was alright before, and all these things are causing it harm instead of good, just forget about all out it! What is good for even a majority of people can still be bad for an individual (for w/e reasons). Best of luck, hun!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm not inclined to blame the henna, unless you're suddenly becoming sensitive to it. Yes, I shed more than usual the day I henna my hair, but not after that. My hair's fine, too (a bit coarser with henna), and while I find it a tad drying, it doesn't seem to cause breakage.

I think what you need to do is just stop all the experiments, and go to the last known thing that worked for your hair. Perhaps do a good shampoo to get anything that's on your scalp off (if sulfates won't cause more trouble than they're worth), and try to space out your washes with water rinses. Try not to worry about it too much, but let your hair recover from whatever it doesn't like, while you spend time trying to make sure that you're healthy, getting enough sleep, and not stressed.

Don't cut your hair because you've lost a bit. Then you'll only have lost more! Besides, at 3 inches, you still have thicker hair than I do, and thicker than many people here. Don't despair, just go to a bit of benign neglect and make sure that your body is healthy.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I generally lose a bit more during the actual application of the henna and then I don't lose any extra afterwards.

How's your diet? Has anything change? Have you asked a doctor about the shedding?
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    Chin/BSL/W-H
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

How often are you hennaing? There was someone on this board a while ago who was applying henna overnight every week, which unsurprisingly was causing problems.

Have you started or stopped any hormonal treatments/contraceptives, such as Depo Provera? I lost oodles of hair on that stuff.
    I have opted out of the "friends" system. Please do not send me any friending requests.

Length
    thigh/apl/none
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

I shed a lot, but I don't think it's any more than before hennaing (in fact, it might be less). I hope you find a solution

"Only the shallow know themselves." -Oscar Wilde

Length
    shldr/bsl/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I also shed more the day of henna, but then I stop. That being said, I noticed a major shed this time last year (chalked up to stress at the time) and this year as well. Not to the point of losing circumference (I thought I had, but the measuring tape said I was wrong), but it was enough to worry me. Since it has now happened two years in a row at the same time, I have decided it's just me. Could it be seasonal?
    Do you believe in rock and roll? Can music save your mortal soul? And can you teach me how to dance real slow?