View Poll Results: Is English your first language?

Voters
1421. You may not vote on this poll
  • English is my first language

691 48.63%
  • English is not my first language

538 37.86%
  • I grew up bilingual with English and another language

90 6.33%
  • English is not my first language, but it is the one I use most often and in which I am most fluent

75 5.28%
  • My first language is cheese

27 1.90%
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Is English your first language?

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Is English your first language?

Ooooh, I like this My father is a translator, so people are always surprised when I say I don't speak any other languages. I can communicate in Spanish, especially if people speak slowly enough, and I'm learning a bit of French, but I don't count those as "speaking", especially if I couldn't type what I just did in either language.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    buzz/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

My first language is Hungarian and I learnt English in school as my third (chronological) language. I have sadly mostly lost my second language! I use English some 95% of the time, and for certain topics (usually more complicated or abstract subjects) I compose much faster in it. I didn't pick the option for 'that is the one in which I am most fluent' because I still have a better feel for Hungarian, and that is the language in which I most enjoy poetry.

I am also perpetually trying to learn other languages...
    Last edited by levelek; September 25th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
    "What do we want? GRADUAL CHANGE! When do we want it? IN DUE COURSE!"

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by levelek View Post
    My first language is Hungarian and I learnt English in school. I use English some 95% of the time, and for certain topics (usually more complicated or abstract subjects) I compose much faster in English. I didn't pick the option for 'that is the one in which I am most fluent' because I still have a better feel for Hungarian, and that is the language in which I most enjoy poetry.

I am also perpetually trying to learn other languages...
    Damn, I knew there'd be someone like you. I was looking over the poll options and saw that one and thought "there's going to be someone who is either most fluent in English (even though it's their second language) but doesn't use it most frequently, or someone who uses English a lot but isn't most fluent in it."

Sorry about that
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Type
    1b/F/ii

My mother tongue is estonian. I learnt english in school and I also work a lot in this language (international company).. and of course the long years spent online have done wonders for my english

I know some russian and finnish too, and a little german.

nordic hennahead

Length
    14"/28"/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Hungarian is also my first language. I picked grew up bilingual, but technically don;t remember learning English and was not fluent in it until about kindergarten or so. Also, I learned English in a British run montessori school in Italy, so when I moved to the States (2nd grade), my English was still "different".......

levelek- I totally understand what you are saying... I use english more, because of where I live (not a lot of opportunity to speak Hungarian) and I read and write it at such an elementary level, however I consider myself Hungarian, and I consider that my mother tongue.....
    Am FINALLY at waist (note to self, update siggy pic)... To maintain or to not maintain (keep growing).... that is now the question

Length
    waist/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

My first (and sadly only) language is English. I know some basic Spanish and I could have been bilingual in French and English if my mother and grandmother spoke to me in French when I was little.
    Lady Delgado of the Red Rose Tower in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20"/29.5"/47" ?
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

English is not my first language, German is my mother tongue
    I've been learning English for 7 years at school, but the first two years don't really count (we only learned the weekdays, a few animals, body parts etc. at grade school).
    Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
    {Maya Angelou}

Dutch is my first language. I learned myself English when I was eight, and continued learning it at school. I use English on the internet, and I catch myself thinking in English quite often too. It's easier to make sentences that sound nice in English than in Dutch. Of course, I speak Dutch in real life.

I've also had French for six years and German for five years. My French is horrible, I can only read it and understand it. I'm better at German. I'm dying to learn Finnish and I'm planning on studying that next year, probably along with Russian.

I have a huge passion for languages.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

English is the language I grew up speaking, and it's still the only one I'm fluent in. I do know some French and Spanish, but not enough to call myself fluent. I can read French much better than I can speak it... My step-dad is Mexican, so I used to hear a lot of Spanish around the house between him and his extended family. Actually, a lot of it was a random mix of English and Spanish, with sentences like, "Donde es mi checkbook?" "En la troca, in the garage!" Lol... I was a teenager, not a little kid, so that took some getting used to!

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I grew up bilingual, speaking both english and spanish. I've picked up a few other languages, enough to get by in, but english and spanish are my standard language.