Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has security ever taken away your hair sticks?

Type
    4a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Has security ever taken away your hair sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by longhairedfairy View Post
    So you can have it in your luggage but not in your hair?
    Yup. They just don't want you to have access to it while on the airplane. Nowadays I rarely even use a carry-on because it's too much trouble. I will check even the smallest bag.

I have knitted on an airplane though! Circular needles seem to get through with no problem.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Easy Jet made us check our cases in before we went through security so we would have no chance to throw in any banned objects. Coming back from honeymoon I was frisked 3 times in Barcelona and had to take my boots off before the gave up. My second time through security, before my second ever flight. No one pointed out I was wearing a large Ficarre! That must have been it. It was really shiny and gold too.

Like Lyria was saying about plastic cutlery, in duty free you can buy glass bottles of spirits to take on the plane which could be smashed and make a deadly weapon. I bought a pencil sharper after going through security. Blades are for sale on the other side of it!

I've never been on a jury, but I guess they could be tougher because of high emotions in court? A brutal murder could bring out reactions in people listening to details.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

This past weekend my son, DIL and GS flew home out of Minneapolis. The DIL had bought a sippy cup for the baby at a Disney store. It had a little snow globe in the bottom with Nemo swimming around. The asshat security guy was going to take it away. We had stayed while they went through security in case something like this happened. They handed me the sippy cup and I'll take it to them at Xmas. If that wasn't stupid enough, my son stopped in a gift show after they got through the security check and saw they were selling freaking snowglobes inside the airport. You could take those on the plane! He explained to me that aiport security targets families and elderly women. The airlines apparently want only business travelers. The airlines are supposed to be in dire straights and they treat their passengers like crap. JMO of course

I am not here to decorate your world

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I thought about this, actually, when I went to court last week with some family members. They check your bags as you go in the door, and you also have to go through a metal detector. I remember frantically thinking, "Oh no-- how did I fix my hair today? Is there metal?" I didn't want to be embarassed at the door, lol. Fortunately, I was just wearing my usual Gibson tuck, with one metal-less elastic and a wooden stick. No metal to hold up the line!

Length
    Chin/27/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    Easy Jet made us check our cases in before we went through security so we would have no chance to throw in any banned objects. Coming back from honeymoon I was frisked 3 times in Barcelona and had to take my boots off before the gave up. My second time through security, before my second ever flight. No one pointed out I was wearing a large Ficarre! That must have been it. It was really shiny and gold too.
    I always travel with a ficcare in my bag, and I'm always scared that they'll take it away. Especially if it's a discontinued color. Lately I've started to travel with a scrunchie instead just to be able to relax more.

If someone urged me to mail something in an envelope I'd probably go and do it myself instead of trusting them to do it, thanks for the warning.
    Feye

Length
    27.17/29.3/37.8
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

gosh :s in belgium they aren't that severe!!

my youtube-channel (take a look )

Length
    27/33/46
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I've never worn hair jewelry of any kind through security. I only went on one trip that involved flying... I went to Europe and back and was on a total of 6 planes. I didn't have any problems with anything at all, but I didn't have anything metal with me.

Now I found it really interesting when my fiance went to two different courthouses wearing the same steel-toed boots. At one, the boots set off the metal detector, but at the other, they did not. I think I may have worn a metal necklace to latter as well, and it didn't set it off, either. Hmmm.

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I totally agree with everyone about how dumb airport security is. I NEVER fly. This past spring was my first time on a plane or in an airport since 2000. I was FLOORED when the woman took my brand-new, still-in-the-sealed-box vial of Oil of Olay face cream. Which I had run out of that morning and bought before getting to the airport. Fifteen dollars: Bu-BYE. And why? Because I could make an explosive something-or-other...with my Oil of Olay cream? On my way to a freaking medieval studies conference?! I was absolutely astounded. I bet that stupid woman took it and used it herself (OK, not really, but that's how mad I still am about the whole thing). It was a SEALED BOX, for the love of Pete!! I'm sure, had I had a hairstick in my hair, they would have taken that, too. I will never wear one in the airport, or even carry it in my carry-on bag, because -well, I love my hairsticks, and they're kind of pricy to be losing to airport "security" measures.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Length
    27ish/CICTH/clssc
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I flew from missouri down to louisiana three years ago, but I hadn't heard of hairsticks yet. I just had to mention that this :
    My husband has a prosthetic leg and they just sort of let him through without really checking him out because there's no real way for him to remove it without totally undressing etc. He could strap a machine gun to his leg and get through security. But me? Oh heck no.. I must look like a crazy lady who wants to take over the ER with my nail clippers *lol*....
    seriously made me laugh so hard that both my cats were staring at me.
    99% Dye free!
    Official hair-idiot of Measuringtown...
    avatar is Belle of Bonaventure, by Jasmine Becket-Griffith.

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I've yet to have a hair mishap, though I've been told to remove kirby grips.

My personal 'look what security did to me' story is from going to see PMQs (that's Prime Minister's Questions) and having my ballpoint pen taken away from me. Excuse me, but what damage am I going to do with a ballpoint pen when there is specially manufactured bulletproof glass between me and the politicians?!

It wasn't even a weird ballpoint pen - just a regular biro thing. What makes it worse is that I'd already been through the very same security station with the same guy on it a few hours before and managed to smuggle my pen into the building...

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~