Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me to buy something.

Default Convince me to buy something.

Any enablers want to help me out?

I know that I need hair tools that will put up my hair comfortably without damaging it. My problem is that I have difficulty buying something unless I can absolutely convince myself that it's necessary. My other problem is that I'd rather purchase something more expensive that is almost guaranteed to work than buy something cheap and take my chances. My other other problem is that I don't do well with nickel, plastic, or wood, so amish hair pins, bobby pins, or homemade sticks aren't an option. The knitting needles I have on hand are too thick and heavy to be comfortable, and the crochet hooks I have on hand have raised lettering in the center that tears my hair.

So, after some research, I have decided on Quattro as the best option to match all my wacky little qualifications. If anyone has another suggestion I'd love to hear it. If not, I'm looking at the bronze anchor pins and a pair of 5 inch plain sticks.

Question: What are the differences between the FlexStix, StarLites, and Titanium sticks? I've never used anchor pins or amish pins before; are they fairly easy to learn? I'm wanting the pins because the ends of sticks sticking out of my hair annoy me, yet I know if I don't also get a pair of sticks as well I'll probably grab the crochet hook during the times I want the convenience of putting my hair up in less than 2 seconds. Finally, I'm a little concerned about the "microgrooves"....wouldn't that create friction for the hair? Is it something you can sand off if you wish?

Okay, have at it...I need to buy these or something similar both for the sake of my hair and so that I'll stop stressing over it, so don't let me off the hook until I do!

Length
    9in/20in/3ft
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Convince me to buy something.

A sock, for a sock bun, there is a whole thread with a video that shows you how to do it, and I have found it to be comfortable and it seems to be gentle on my hair. I wish I could tell you the differences in the sticks, but I can't because I need to find out too.
    Goody's No Damage elastics are really good on my hair, and seem to do as they say, no damage, although I wouldn't twist them in too tight.

Chopsticks from Chinese restaurants are great hair sticks, but be sure to smooth them out with sandpaper, then you can have fun decorating them if you want, or left plain, they look good too. I think you can also find them at craft stores.

I think all these are good investments, and have discovered that they have become necessary and beneficial to my hairs health since I've started using them. But sometimes stuff doesn't work for all folks. I wish you good luck, and know you will find your own little hair product/tool/toy niche.

Oh, horn combs and smooth wooden combs are great purchase's too, they REALLY helped my hair, along with good quality shampoo bars that don't have SLS.

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

A Bronze Jewelers Bronze Scroll Barrette (size large) would be perfect.

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quattro is a good choice. It would be quite difficult to sand off the microgrooves because they are "micro" to the point that you are unable to see or really feel them even.

You may want to ask Quattro about the different types, or just go for it. The best I know is that flexstix are slightly bendable, starlites are supposed to be extra light weight, and titanium is for people who have trouble with breaking sticks. All three are similar enough that I can't tell which sticks I own are which type. I think it's mostly hype.

Length
    shldr/APL/Term

Titanium would be a good option if your issues are to do with allergies.

Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Firstly, just in case you haven't seen it, here is a-whole-nother thread on Ron Quattro's items.

There are a few people's opinions on the differences between Flexstix, Starlites, etc. in that thread, but in 30 words or less: The differences are not *that* great. Titanium and Flexstix are *slightly* heavier than Starlites. Starlites and Titanium (both 3mm), are slightly thicker than Flexstix (2mm). Helix items don't have microgrooves.

And I can't imagine trying to polish out the microgrooves, either! They really are fine (as in, very small).

Also, if the price of Quattro stuff puts you off, you could try VK Designs sticks first. They are definitely not as well made as Quattro items, but are still very reasonably priced, and are stainless steel. No microgrooves, either. At least then you can work out of these really thin sticks work for you...?

Hope this helps, and if you do go the Quattro route, please post pics in the Quattro thread.

ETA1: OK, just read your post again and saw that you want pins over sticks... VK Designs only do sticks. And I don't believe Ron makes pins/forks in titanium any more - he said it damaged his equipment too much. So for pins/forks, you'll have a choice of Starlites or Flexstix. But then you say you'll try a set of plain sticks? In which case, Titanium will be an option as well.

ETA2: Oh, blah. *sigh* OK, so I also hadn't noticed you mentioned bronze. I only have his silver-toned items, but I assume his bronze items have similar properties to his "silver-bronze" items... and I would say that the silver-bronze sticks are a fair bit more flexible than any of the others.

I will also note that I thought amish pins were stainless steel too? But I could be wrong there.
    Last edited by Rae~; September 19th, 2009 at 05:12 AM.

Length
    14/37/??
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I have the bronze anchor pins and some short (4 inch, I think) silver bronze flex stix. They are amongst the hair toys I use the most.
    The pins are almost more like small forks than true hair/bun/Amish pins. They are thicker, although no way as thick as a a knitting needle or a crochet hook. I can hold a bun with one or two anchor pins, which I could never do with normal pins and the ends don't stick out of the other side (something I try to avoid too) The silver bronze flex stix came as a pair but I generally only need to use one. The spiral means that they hold really well. I would have said they didn't have micro grooves because I certainly can't feel them, but in the description on etsy he mentions a "textured surface" so they must do.

Type
    2c/M/ii

I have both the Quattro bronze anchor pins and the silver-bronze spiral sticks.

The are smooth to the touch, slide into my hair without catching (I twist the spiral sticks in)- which is always something I have had trouble with, some toys would break a few hairs every time- and hold very well. Both have quite a bit of 'bend' to them (I don't have thick or 'strong' hair), if that's not good for you the Starlites are supposed to be rigid.

I love them and would recommend both.

I also have Ficcares, aquired at a lower price from the swap board here, and they are great as well (if you need a clip).

Totally worth the high price for the quality.

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I just got my first two quattro items. I got the alum anchor pins and the sticks. My immediate reaction was to how the anchor pins felt in my hair. I have slippery layered bsl hair and they went in so easy and hold really well. I can shake my head and they aren't falling out. If I had to choose again...I would get the anchors and a foo foo fancy one instead of the plain sticks. The grooves feel as if you took a brillo pad to an alum can and scruffed it up...not catchy at all.

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I have just now purchased the bronze anchor pins. I want to see for myself what kind of "microgrooves" we're talking about before I get more.

Okay, so from what I've read so far concerning Quattro it seems like anything I get is going to be an upgrade from what I have now. Do the silver-bronze spiral sticks actually look bronze-ish in color? This is a bit of an ignorant question, but do you need to screw the spiral sticks out when you remove them?

Rae, I looked up VK Designs and the website said they were made out of stainless steel, is that correct? Since I don't do well with nickel, stainless steel is a no-go for me, which is also why I can't do amish pins.

Flaxen, that site has such beautiful things! Thanks for the link.

Aer, I have had my eye on horn combs ever sinse I heard about them! But since I comb in the shower and drop it an average of two times per use, I'm concerned that I'll break it within the first week of purchase.