Any enablers want to help me out?

I know that I need hair tools that will put up my hair comfortably without damaging it. My problem is that I have difficulty buying something unless I can absolutely convince myself that it's necessary. My other problem is that I'd rather purchase something more expensive that is almost guaranteed to work than buy something cheap and take my chances. My other other problem is that I don't do well with nickel, plastic, or wood, so amish hair pins, bobby pins, or homemade sticks aren't an option. The knitting needles I have on hand are too thick and heavy to be comfortable, and the crochet hooks I have on hand have raised lettering in the center that tears my hair.

So, after some research, I have decided on Quattro as the best option to match all my wacky little qualifications. If anyone has another suggestion I'd love to hear it. If not, I'm looking at the bronze anchor pins and a pair of 5 inch plain sticks.

Question: What are the differences between the FlexStix, StarLites, and Titanium sticks? I've never used anchor pins or amish pins before; are they fairly easy to learn? I'm wanting the pins because the ends of sticks sticking out of my hair annoy me, yet I know if I don't also get a pair of sticks as well I'll probably grab the crochet hook during the times I want the convenience of putting my hair up in less than 2 seconds. Finally, I'm a little concerned about the "microgrooves"....wouldn't that create friction for the hair? Is it something you can sand off if you wish?

Okay, have at it...I need to buy these or something similar both for the sake of my hair and so that I'll stop stressing over it, so don't let me off the hook until I do!