Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should I leave in coconut oil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    23/32/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default How long should I leave in coconut oil?

I bought some coconut oil yesterday at Nutrition House because I read that coconut oil is the only oil that penetrates hair. I'm doing a pre-wash oil treatment on my hair right now. I put on a lot of coconut oil on my length.

Would it be a good idea to add some heat from a blow dryer onto my length to help the oil absorb? Also how long should I leave the oil in my hair for? Is an hour good enough? How about 30 mins?

Length
    12/42/term

Default Re: How long should I leave in coconut oil?

I usually just use a small bit for everyday. When my ends get really dry, I'll melt the oil dip my entire length in it and put it under a shower cap and sleep all night with it soaking into my hair. The next morning I'll shower and wash most of it out but I braid the length so whatever remains will get to soak in all day.

I'm sure everyone has their own different routine.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

If I'm doing a pre-wash oil, I usually try to leave it on for at least an hour. I wouldn't blowdry to heat it myself. Usually I just let it sit. Well.... usually I put it on before I go for a run, and then shampoo it out afterwards. I haven't been running much lately so I haven't done a deep oiling in months

Length
    23/32/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to sleep with coconut oil in my hair so I think I will just leave it on for an hour.

Right now I am trying to decide whether I should put jojoba oil or coconut oil in my hair after I wash it. I'm leaning towards the jojoba because it didn't make my hair stringy.

Length
    14"/28"/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SandyStar View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I don't want to sleep with coconut oil in my hair so I think I will just leave it on for an hour.

Right now I am trying to decide whether I should put jojoba oil or coconut oil in my hair after I wash it. I'm leaning towards the jojoba because it didn't make my hair stringy.

I love coconut for deep oilings (prewash) but it left me stringy too as a leave in..... I tried shea butter on the ends (which I liked) and now I have tried Aloe w/ a teeny bit of coconut oil mixed together as a leave in.... this is my favorite (although I like the shea butter best on my ends)

ETA... for the prewash... I leave it in a minimum of an hour, but as long as I can stand if it is my day off or I have time... I treat it kinda like an SMT.....
    Am FINALLY at waist (note to self, update siggy pic)... To maintain or to not maintain (keep growing).... that is now the question

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    3c/F/M/ii

I'd also leave it on for at least 30 min or even let it penetrate the hair overnight.

I think you'll like this Article that can be found here on LHC. A lot of people contributed to this article, so there's a ton of experience in this Article on the topic of Oiling.

If your hair looks 'stringy' after oiling, then you're using too much, very likely. (This is for if you oil hair with any oil after a fresh hair wash intending to leave it in.) However, we all have our preferences and what works for you may not work as well for others....or me, for you .... you get the idea. Hair experiences are very unique from person-to-person.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=71

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I use it everyday without washing out. It depends on the hair and how much oil it can handle. My hair is curly and in dire need of both oiling and moisture, that's why I can get away with it.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour, and sometimes overnight. Sometimes I forget to put it on till before I shower and so it only goes on for about 15 minutes or so.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I've never had good luck with oiling before a wash, so I'm definitely not an oracle on that subject. I prefer to leave it in overnight and let it soak in well. But, different strokes for different folks.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights