Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could leaving conditioner in overnight be damaging?

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Could leaving conditioner in overnight be damaging?

In the morning I have to go to work at 6 every day. I can never wash my hair in the morning because it would take much time and I would sleep even less. I was thinking I could wash my hair in the evening and put conditioner on and cover it with a plastic bag, rinse it out in the morning and just blow dry it ( I always blow dry). Can all that time the conditioner will be in be damaging for hair?

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    22/29/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Could leving conditioner in overnight be damaging?

I doubt it. I've slept with SMT's on overnight and never found any damage afterward.

Lady Temperance, Keeper of the Border between Night and Day in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18/26/28
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I don't think the conditioner would be damaging. I use some of my regular conditioner as a leave-in so I always have some conditioner in my hair.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

You're blow-drying your hair every day, yet you are worried about damage from conditioner? I would give advice there, but I'm sure you've seen all the advice regarding heat-styling here already.

As for the conditioner, I know of no reason why it would be damaging. If anything, your hair could probably use the extra pampering.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I don't blow dry every day because I don't wash my hair every day (I wanted to but I don't) and I do use cool setting since forever. Blow drying this way never ever hurt my hair. Was just worried if extra moisture can make hair weak. For example my nails split right up when they are wet. So I was worriedd if after extended wet time same thing could happen to my hair.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by juliaxena View Post
    I don't blow dry every day because I don't wash my hair every day (I wanted to but I don't) and I do use cool setting since forever. Blow drying this way never ever hurt my hair. Was just worried if extra moisture can make hair weak. For example my nails split right up when they are wet. So I was worriedd if after extended wet time same thing could happen to my hair.
    Ah! I see.

Well, in that perspective, you might be onto something, actually, as hair is at its weakest when wet. That's why it's good advice to handle it delicately while washing it.

Now as far as potential damage... If it's inside of a cap/container of some kind, I would imagine that it'd be relatively shielded from friction or other mechanically damaging agents. So the benefits of the deep conditioning treatment (which is really essentially what it'd be) probably outweigh the potential damage.

In my completely unprofessional, unlicensed opinion.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Nah, I've done it before, and my hair is fine.

However, why don't yo just wash it in the evenings, comb it, go to sleep, then blow dry it if it's still damp and/or comb it in the morning? If I had your hairtype, that's what I'd do (probably minus the blowdrying--I'm too lazy). If it's tangling that's an isse, youu cold always caterpillar or braid it?
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

That's exactly it, my hair tangles like mad when its wet and has no conditioner on. and due to my current lenght i can't put it into updos.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Have you tried a leave-in, or even leaving in some of your conditioner straight in, and not rinsing it? Or oil, even?

But, to again answer your question, yes, it's fine. I would worry about your comofrt level though--I can sleep with wet hair, but hair wrapped in something always makes me sleep worse. xD;
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Just a suggestion, as opposed to blowdrying, try braiding it? Your current length in your picture could be braided a few times. I can braid my hair into small braids and it's a pixie! (Several braids.)

In regards to the conditioner, I doubt it's that harmful. I would suggest putting it into a cap since conditioner would get all over the pillowcase and bug me personally. But wouldn't the time in the morning take quite a while? I've had that experience with my hair. What about just letting your hair airdry?
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!