Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens if you do not cut off split ends?

Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Default What happens if you do not cut off split ends?

Hi I wanted to ask you how dangerous is it to not cut off your split ends until you reach goal and then start to trim regularly? Can you just "seal" them with oils and such in the mean time so the splits do not "migrate"? My biggest problem is that my hair splits alot and I just keep SnD-ing but there are more and more split ends. My hair has always been like that - very splitty. I just started two weeks ago to be more careful with my hair, but I guess it does take alot of time for some progress to be observed. I have layers and some of the layers arre too short and I cannot see them and I am nervous about going to the hairdresser because 1. they always cut too much, 2. My hairr is uneven and I will still have split ends even after the cut. 3. They thin my hair and then it splits even more! I guess thick hair is not very fashionable and mine does look better thinned but it is very damaging.
    So, any suggestions are welcome

Length
    30ish/32/36
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Re: What happens if you do not cut off split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by violetka View Post
    3. They thin my hair and then it splits even more! I guess thick hair is not very fashionable and mine does look better thinned but it is very damaging.
    I have no advice about splits, but your comment here makes me wonder. It seems you're not asking for your hair to be thinned, and you admit it "looks better" but you also say that "[you] guess thick hair isn't fashionable". According to who? Check out some of the thicker haired people around here, it's quite fashionable, in fact, most people here strive to have thicker hair.

I say your first step is to either stop going to the salon, or start telling them exactly what you want them to do.

As far as progress with taking better care of your hair versus splits, I've been here for a few years and I still have splits, but it's because not all of the damaged hair has grown out yet. Once it does, the splits will lessen. So keep in mind that when taking better care of your hair it will be the roots that will show that improvement, as damaged hair stays damaged no matter what. It may take a while depending on your length to see the fruits of your labors, so stay strong and keep it up!

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

If your hair dresser is thinning your hair despite requests on the contrary, as well as cutting off too much hair, perhaps it's time to find a new hair dresser. There are plenty of stylists out there who are very keen to listen to you and help you with your hair goals.

In the meantime, try a search & destroy (going through your hair and cutting out individual splits) rather than resigning yourself to a life of split ends.

It's true that some people are just more prone to splits, and simply have to deal with them in their own way, but there are other precautions you can also take. And yes, it does take a long time to see the benefits of handling your hair correctly. Try the articles section; I believe Teacherbear wrote an article on handling hair. Nightshade also wrote one about damaged hair, and they are both extremely helpful articles.

Good luck.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

do you trim the ends though? It is true that I did not specifically ask for not thinning, but I do get pushed into it I am afraid to go now after many years of bad experience and I feel like I have no control over what the turn out will be. I have cried after a hair dresser. So i decided to be self sufficient, but am not sure how to be about the short-but-split layer of hair that I cannot trim myself.

Length
    chin/waist/clssc
    Type
    3a/3b/C/ii/iii

I agree with Beldaran... Thick hair is beautiful, and it's a sign of healthy, natural hair!

The most dangerous thing about split ends, is that a split can move higher towards your roots, and eventually split your entire hair (that doesn't happen a lot though).
    Dry, damaged hair splits a lot earlier, so the best way to prevent split ends is to cut off all your damaged hair. Not too many people choose for that, neither do I, just because I prefer long hair over 100% healthy hair.

So it's up to you weather you leave the split ends there until you reach your goal (but remember, you will have to chop them off some day anyway), or weather you trim them so you will reach your goal length with all healthy hair.

If you do not cut the split ends you end up with what I had a long time ago: in the long run split ends up to the roots at times, and hair that looks like crap

I had to grow out all that damaged hair, took me a BIG chop up to my shoulders and regular 6 week trims after that.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

My ends are all in splits and I didn't visit the hairstylist for, what, a year? more?
    Except your hair finally growing, nothing horrible is going to happen. Trust me, from personal experience, if length is important to you, don't worry about not going to the hairdresser. Yes, of course, split ends tend to tangle more and might damage healthy hair, but you'll lose much less length this way then by going to the hairstylist - not to mention what you said about the hairstylist never getting all the split ends trimmed.
    I hardly see anything fashionable about thin ends, and if you're unhappy about your experience at the hair salon, you don't have to. If the ends really get you, and S&Ding doesn't help, then do a microtrim/dusting.
    btw, what kind of scissors do you use for S&D? If you're using scissors that are not intended for hair, or that are not sharp enough you might causing more splits.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    19/48/46 FT
    Type
    2a/M/ii

When you S&D, first of all make sure that you don't use ANY scissors, but the best and sharpest ones you can get, preferably professional ones. This is extremely important as blunt scissors just crush your hairs and actually make things worse, not better.

Length
    27/34/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

My hair splits less when it is freshly trimmed - but it does no good to take big trims because the damage is up the entire length from the flat iron and blow dryer. I joined LHC in April, I have about 6 inches of shiny perfect hair and about 21 inches of sort of sad hair - I recognize I will continue to have bad splits for a long time but that in time, as in like 5 years, I will have an entire head of shiny healthy hair now that I know what to do.

Length
    18/26/28
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I am no expert so the following is my personal opinion....
    Even if you did S&D religiously, you would still have split ends. So I say, cut off the ones you can see and don't worry about the rest. Your hair will grow, split ends or not. As it gets longer you will be able to S&D the short layers with more ease and everything will be just fine.
    Keep treating your hair extra nice, use oils on the ends, don't go to the hair dresser if you don't feel comfortable going, S&D what you can, stay positive and I am sure things will go well.