Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very sore scalp and headaches from ponytail...

Length
    Shldr/Clbn/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default very sore scalp and headaches from ponytail...

Hi

So Im having another hair issue, now that my hair is long enough, I wear it in a ponytail everyday at work, I dont do it tight, I just brush it back nicely and use an ouchless elastic, but no matter how loose it is it hurts a lot after an hour or so, it feels almost like my scalp is bruised or someone is pulling on my hair really hard but the ponytail isnt tight at all, it happens mostly in the hair on the top back of my head....any ideas how to fix this pain ? I cant do it too loose as my hair is only shoulder length.
    ~~Lady Cēphisso of the Evercolor Inkwells in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~~
    Shoulder!!!!...on my way to Classic!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: very sore scalp and headaches from ponytail...

Oh, boy...I get this too and I LOVE ponytails so it's a little tragic. I do find that if I wear the tail very low, it's much less painful. (I mean at the nape of the neck.) It's a cute look although I wish I could wear a very high one for a longer period of time...I just love that look. But the nape-ponytail is an alternative.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I ran into the same thing when I first became able to form a ponytail. I was so happy to be able to get it up and out of my face that I put it up pretty much every day, but it always gave me a headache, too.

I just kept putting it up, and I'd take it down when it got to be too much of a problem. At first it would only be a short while before I had to take it down, but eventually the length of time I could keep it up increased.

Any style where my hair is pulled back even semi-tight will eventually give me a headache, and that's just how it is. I've just been able to slowly stretch out the amount of time through repetition and persistence, and I can now get through most of the day with my hair up. I can handle it a lot better than before, so I'm satisfied.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by halo_tightens; August 25th, 2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typos!

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Experiment with placement.

I can't wear a ponytail or anything else on the back of my head. For me, everything needs to start above my crown or at the nape of my neck.

Just move it around and you should be able to find the balance point that works for you.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    24/24/38
    Type
    2b/C/iii

My scalp also gets tender in some places and really hurts when I touch it after my hair has been in a certain position for a long time, eg. when i sleep.
    I don't know why! I wish it didn't, but I'm glad I'm not the only one! Hah

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I think your hair roots aren't used to being pulled in that direction. I used to get aches and pains as soon as I took down a high ponytail. Now a high ponytail won't even stay in long enough to give me those aches... they slip down to the middle of the back of my head really quick.

And sometimes now I'll get similar root pain, like right now I have a french braid in with a low bun... something somewhere is pulling in a way I'm not used to.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyViki View Post
    I think your hair roots aren't used to being pulled in that direction. I used to get aches and pains as soon as I took down a high ponytail. Now a high ponytail won't even stay in long enough to give me those aches... they slip down to the middle of the back of my head really quick.

And sometimes now I'll get similar root pain, like right now I have a french braid in with a low bun... something somewhere is pulling in a way I'm not used to.
    ^ +1

If I could also add this. . . when I FIRST grew my hair out long enough to pull back, I had this similar effect. I got dull headaches, kinda sore scalp. . . etc. After that, I kinda got used to the "feeling". If my hair is in a braid, it does not bother me whatsoever, I can only conclude that it's from equal distributed tension from the top of my head down .

This is just my . . . so try all kinds of "pulled back" styles, and see which ones feel the best.

peace out

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I used to wear a bun or ponytail but it did hurt my poor scalp,i have since learned that it can cause traction alopecia another good reason not to tie hair back often or too tightly it can even cause dandruff too...

Length
    APL/FTL+/FTL?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyViki View Post

I would also add that if it doesn't seem to be an issue with the direction anymore, try tightening the ponytail a bit. I know, it seems crazy, but I've found that looser styles tend to bother me more than tighter ones. They don't pull as hard when at rest, but any time I move, the looser styles are more apt to move as well, which in turn results in excessive pulling/weight. Styles can definitely be too tight, as well, so it's a fine line between too loose and too tight, but vary that up a bit as well and see what works for you.

Darn hair dressers and their misplaced bra straps... Looks like it'll be longer between hair cuts this time, with an extra 6 inches to regrow!
    <APL ~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~TBL~Classic~ FTL ~ Knee???

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I remember getting this at different times---likely the hair, like others have said here, isn't use to the feeling. I would try a low pony perhaps, or vary styles such as using a head band one day, then pony the next, and other such until your scalp gets used to it--when at home, what's the easiest style for you? Try working with one you use all day and modify it and soon your scalp will get used to it. But, we all have tender points. I can't wear a french braid anymore--just really hurts/pulls and makes me cranky. I'm fine with buns, ponytails and braids, but the second it's in a french braid, in an hour, it's throbbing. Hope this helps
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~