Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: These guys so need to check out the styles page...

Length
    15/38/42
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default These guys so need to check out the styles page...

So I read this in an article and felt compelled to share it because it seems so insane to me..

"Beauty Feature: The Death of Long Hair
    According to some stylists, the less hair you have, the more styling options open up to you. “Short hair allows you more control over your style,” says James Corbett, a New York City-based hairstylist and colourist. “Long hair is a lot of work, which is why so many women don’t do anything with it except have a professional blow-dry.”"

Haha yes because most women with long hair just blow dry it!

If you'd like the read the whole silly thing here it is:
    http://www.harpersbazaar.com.au/beau...-long-hair.htm

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: These guys so need to check out the styles page...

Oh poppycock! It's just wishful thinking; they're hoping to attract more high-maintenance business.
    Last edited by spidermom; August 17th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Length
    ??/56/??
    Type
    2a/M/iii

So insane to me as well but I enjoyed reading the comments as most of them were pro-longhair.

2a/M/iii - 56 inches

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I enjoyed the comments too. I love long hair.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Lulz. Well, I guess a shaved hair has so many styling options by their logic! I guess it depends on how long we mean. If we're talking about looks in the front, VERY long hair(Let's go with longer than BSL, since this is by society's standards(though I personally think it's only very long if it's TB or longer, and many here would argue floor!)) with a blunt cut isn't going to have a ton. But the back styles and buns!!! Oh my! Shoulder length layers in the front with BSL hair offer many more styling options, as do front layers and bangs. However, their logic about coloring is VERY true in the case of our dear bottle blonde from darkest brunette, etc. In terms of heat styling and such, it is a lot easier to get it done on "short" hair, which is what I think they mean by long haired people only get a blow out at the salon,as opposed to curls/straightening. Long hair is a lot of work if a woman straightens it daily and dyes it a lot with chemical dyes etc. However, the LHC style of long hair is very low work. I do find it interesting how they suggest using pomades on short hair but not washing it all that often. Given how people are expected to wash their hair daily, this might be a good turn of events for people!

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

In my not so humble opinion, it's all about encouraging people to have more high-maintenance hair options by telling them those high-maintenance options will be more "versatile." My own personal experience tells me otherwise. There is very little else one can do with the Dorothy Hamill style wedge than...wear it in the wedge! The long top layers are not quite long enough to put back; the shorter under layers are too long to even do a pony-stub with, and that's a longer "short" hair style.

I endured several (5) years of growing that sucker out, getting rid of mullet-like layers, cutting the last mullet-layer off into a chin-length bob, and then starting on my hair growing journey proper (little did I know), around 1985.

If you're going to go for a shorter hairstyle for a "change" and because you're tired of your length, I strongly advocate a chin length or shoulder length bob, blunt cut, if you can pull it off. You won't have the wacky layers thing going on, and it won't take too long before you can pull it back if you do indeed have "buyer's remorse."

I also think it takes an unacceptably long time (to the stylist and salon owner) to perform services other than a blow-out on people with "long" (by our standards) hair. It takes too long per long-haired client, whereas you can get done with a short 'do in anywhere from a few minutes to 2 hours, max. I'll bet that comes into play as well.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CHIN/APL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

One only need to peek in here for a bit to see how versatile long hair is. We have an array of members who are masters at buns, braids, waves, curls, etc...

Four reasons to go short
    1. It’s attention-grabbing. “A short haircut commands attention – it’s a look,” says Garren. “You will turn heads and you won’t have your hair to hide behind. But just know that to really work short hair, you need to own that cut.”
    2. It’s not as drastic as you think. “Transitioning into a shorter style over several haircuts is a smart way to gauge your comfort level,” says Garren.
    3. It breaks a fidgeting habit. “If you’re one of those girls who are always playing with their hair, there may be an adjustment period once you go short,” says Garren, who likes the surfer cut for this reason: “It gives the girl something to do with her hands.
    4. You’ll be using less shampoo … but more product. “Short hair looks best when it’s washed less frequently — about two to three times a week, max,” says Pipino. “Otherwise, it looks puffy and fluffy.” (Read: soccer mum.) Also, realise that product is key to creating the piece-y, textured feeling that makes short hair look cool (see left).
    This article is the opposite of truth

1. No, it's not really. I've had short hair for 10 years, no one notices it unless it's bright pink. If anything, when someone did notice, I got "Your hair isn't very feminine." Or "When are you going to grow your hair out?"

2. "Transitioning" over several hair cuts is a good way for the stylists who wrote this stupid article to make money

3. Playing with your hair? It's called updos, learn em, love em.

4. Hahaha... Seriously? I had to wash my short hair a lot more than longer hair. Short hair gets so crazy and messy from sleeping on it since you can't put it up. All my hair oils kind of got on the length too much because of it. Also, who uses shampoo anyway

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Mary View Post
    Also, who uses shampoo anyway
    Me. I think it's great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Me. I think it's great stuff.
    <-- Silly face, meaning I was being tongue-in-cheek