Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does henna make anyone else feel sick?

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Default Re: Does henna make anyone else feel sick?

Yes henna powders can vary in scent but to say one Jamila henna is better then the next as far as scent goes (Meaning PP henna) is not the case between that manufacturer.

The scents mostly vary by country. Moroccan has the most unique smell, to me at least.

I for one do get headaches while doing henna, AT TIMES, not always but I know exactly what you are saying.

When you have a LOT of hair and it's wrapped up, it is a sure reason to give you a bad headache. Be careful it doesn't turn into a migraine. That's what possibly happens (to me).

Second, when it's the scent, and I hate the scent of some herbs, they really make me feel sick, and have a huge headache (and especially those henna cones out of the stores with additives and preservatives in them), we mask them with essential oil. Usually one that you like. For me it has to be something light and refreshing, so I got for the sweet orange oil. Some might disagree with citrus in the hair, but well it doesn't hurt me and hubby and the benefits outweighes the risks of the citrus and light exposure for us.

Citrus is something I use a lot while cleaning too. It makes me feel so invigorated and its not expensive.

So just be careful and take precautions. I sleep with my henna most of the time, so as to avoid those headaches of heavy hair and mud.

Type
    2a/M/iii

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I used Yemen henna so don't know if it's any worse than other henna. I'm going to try to keep using it because I bought quite a bit of it, and I love how it makes my hair look so good! I just hope I'll get used to it, but I will try some kind of scented oils from my health food store next time.
    Finally at BSL!!! Now aiming for waist!
    Lady Olivia Protector of the Sacred Rose in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

I've been using yemeni for the last year too. I don't find that it has any difference in smell compared to any other henna powder. Only Moroccan smells different to me, like distinct. I don't mind the smell of henna personally, just a few other herbs bother me. The weight is what usually gives me a headache.

Stick with yemeni, and just add some essential oils you like and you should be fine or just lay your head back due to the weight

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

What if you dotted something like diluted peppermint oil under your nose while you henna? Like a barrier for the scent. Peppermint is a strong scent, and tends to help prevent nausea for me, which is why I suggested it, but if you have a strong scent that helps you feel better, that would be better.

It might work, but why not just put a few drops right into the henna recipe? Wouldn't think peppermint would alter the recipe or cause any damage. A few shampoo bars I've seen have peppermint essential oil in them. They are really refreshing. That's a great suggestion too!! (that particular oil)

Length
    ~APL/26.5/34 in
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I use powdered ginger and cinnamon in my henna mix, it really lessens the smell and keeps the earthy scent from lingering in my hair for days afterward (DH doesn't like it)

Length
    0 ''/26.5"/.....

You could be allergic to something that has to do with Henna or maybe you are using too much so the scent is too strong, maybe sitting outside would help or in front of a window with a fan blowing.

I can definitely empathize with you! I have a thing called Panic Disorder and certain smells sets off Panic Attacks, symptoms include:

racing heart, light headedness, shallow breathing, nausea, sweats, dry mouth, dizziness, and eventually headaches.

Perfumes by Avon and Coty really set me off. Oriental type perfumes, heavy scented anything, perfume stores, candle stores, places like that can really make me sick.
    I have taken to wearing perfume oils instead of colognes and perfumes from the stores, they don't seem to bother me unless there are some bad memories attached.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

what if you did a strong henna gloss instead? That would take away some of the weight at least. If you still find yourself getting sick from the henna after you have tried to take the weight away, stop using it. You can always find a buyer on the swap board and gorgeous hair is not worth feeling sick and possibly trigger something else like a more severe allergy.

Length
    18/31/40+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

The first henna I used was Jamila, I found the smell quite strong even before putting it on my hair/head. I used powdered ginger in it once, it didn't really disguise/lessen the henna smell for me (my personal experience), but if you do use it, be careful in case it irritates your scalp.

Then I used another batch of henna, but can't remember where it was from. Smell wasn't as bad for me as the Jamila. The last time I henna'd, I used the Punjabi Prime, and for me, the smell was a LOT less than the Jamila and the other one I'd used, and I mean a lot less, both in strength and 'offensiveness'. I also prefer the red that the Punjabi Prime gave me as well.

I also tend to sleep for 3-4 hours when I do my henna, it makes the time go faster and no neck/head ache either

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Henna Sooq View Post
    It might work, but why not just put a few drops right into the henna recipe? Wouldn't think peppermint would alter the recipe or cause any damage. A few shampoo bars I've seen have peppermint essential oil in them. They are really refreshing. That's a great suggestion too!! (that particular oil)
    I was actually thinking that if you wanted to just mask the scent of the henna, putting the masking scent right under your nose would be more effective than mixing it with the henna because the masking scent would be closer, and have that advantage over the scent that has to travel (with the offensive henna odor) from your head to your nose.

Of course all of this is assuming 1.) the OP is not actually allergic to henna, and 2.) the OP isn't so scent-sensitive that she doesn't have a masking scent that would be preferable.