Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you guys do a high ponytail?

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Default Can you guys do a high ponytail?

My hair is usually down like my avatar, when I put it up it is usually because of the heat...I'm eating...or it's just getting on my nerves and my style is usually a bun or peacock twist. Today I was playing in the mirror and did a ponytail up around the middle of my head with my hand...and I love the way it looks, but I know that my hair must be pretty heavy or something because a scrunchie usually just slips out of a higher ponytail with me. Not to mention I know I would have to double wrap the scrunchie and with my curls that usually means trouble when I take it out and a few broken strands. The way my hair looked though when I just held it up in that ponytail, it was still brushing my shoulders and I loved how it swung when I moved my head, so I would still get that feeling of having it out but with it being a little more outta the way and less likely to catch. Not to mention to change it up a bit. So my question is, do you long hairs do higher ponytails? And what do you have to use to get them?

The only thing I can think of is I could maybe wrap a strand of my own hair around a few times and secure it to my head with a little clip...but not sure if there are any other ways.
    Last edited by PhillyGirl1978@; August 8th, 2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typed the wrong word

Length
    Buzz/37.5/35??
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Can you guys do a high ponytail?

I don't do high ponytails anymore because they feel like they are going to pull out all of the hair at my front hairline. As far as staying put, when I did do them I used a Bunjii (they are no longer made, so I spent a lot of time bidding on E-Bay to get mine).

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I can still do one, but probably not for long, because it feels heavy and pulls when I do. I just make a ponytail with two ponytail holders instead of just one, it seems to hold a little better, and the extra ponytail holder seems to act as a kind of "spacer" to hold the hair a bit away from my head so I can get better bounce out of it. If that makes any sense at all.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Length
    17"/29"/35"
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Thanks...I guess I'll just have to play around. I certainly don't wanna cause any breakage....and no pulling at the hairline. It's like I would need a plastic snap ring thingy to snap around the ponytail. Long curly hair can certainly be challenging!lol

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I can still wear one, but I don't usually pick that style if it's something I'm going to be wearing all day. It's comfortable for a few hours at best but then the weight of my hair becomes tiresome and I take it down. I generally use ouchless hair elastics.
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGirl1978@ View Post
    Thanks...I guess I'll just have to play around. I certainly don't wanna cause any breakage....and no pulling at the hairline. It's like I would need a plastic snap ring thingy to snap around the ponytail. Long curly hair can certainly be challenging!lol
    They sell things like that at Ulta, have you checked there? It might still pull though, simply from the weight of it all being concentrated in one place.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh yes, I do a top-of-head ponytail with a satin-y scrunchie every night for sleep. The ends hang down to between APL and BSL. It will only stay while I'm stretched out in bed, though. A few minutes up, like to go to the bathroom, and the pony is sliding down the back of my head.

Length
    pixie/43/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I do something like a high ponytail. I make a cinnamon bun with one or two wraps high on my head and let pull the tail through the center. Makes a nice, swingy ponytail for me.

Banned
    Length
    ?/26"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I do high ponies quite a bit. I use a couple of elastics to hold it away from my head a little more, like Viki. Otherwise, it falls too flat against my head and doesn't look nice.

I wonder if you could do it by tying it with a scarf or something. Maybe flip your head upside down, use a narrow scarf to secure the ponytail, and then add some clips or barrettes to the underside to take some of the weight and keep it from slipping down. You wouldn't be able to see the clips under all that beautiful, curly hair! They do make some sort of round plastic pony clip, too. Torrin Paige uses one in one of her tutorial videos.

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Ugh I like ponytails but my hair is entirely too heavy to wear one for more than an hour anymore. With the length the swing just gets unbearable and pulls way too much. I did get some hair ties for thick hair and I'm able to get a new one around a ponytail twice and it will stay, but the second time I use it it's pretty stretched out so I have to try to get it around a third time.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!