Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Porosity: what's up with that?

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Default Re: Porosity: what's up with that?

Vermelha - Castile soap bars are still made with lye. The only thing that castile means is that it was mostly (or completely, depending on how traditional the soapmaker is) olive oil and lye. After all, saponification, the reaction to create soap, is the reaction of an ester and a base.

The floating/sinking test seems like a really nice simple one to me. I know mine floats - virgin hair, straight, rarely heat-treated. I do use shampoo bars but I do remember hearing that they rarely work well on processed hair.
    I wonder if silicones would temporarily decrease the porosity since it "seals" the cuticle?

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I actually have a bit of a theory about cones and porosity. My idea is that hair with cuticles that tend to be open (porous hair) is more likely to have cones get jammed under the cuticle and end up tangly/easy to damage/not shiny while using cones... whereas hair with a cuticle that tends to be closed (non-porous hair) is more likely to have cones wrap on top of the cuticle and keep hair shiny and easy to detangle.

Not sure how far my theory flies though

Length
    apl/hip/?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post
    I actually have a bit of a theory about cones and porosity. My idea is that hair with cuticles that tend to be open (porous hair) is more likely to have cones get jammed under the cuticle and end up tangly/easy to damage/not shiny while using cones... whereas hair with a cuticle that tends to be closed (non-porous hair) is more likely to have cones wrap on top of the cuticle and keep hair shiny and easy to detangle.

Hmm, sounds about right. Mind if I create a poll?

Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by getoffmyskittle View Post
    Hmm, sounds about right. Mind if I create a poll?
    Go for it. I've always wondered if I was right

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

My hair is naturally porous, but I just go with it I guess. I have stopped using chemicals but I still have a hard time getting moisture to stay in my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post

That wasn't my experience at all, it was the exact opposite. When I went cone free is when I had the tangles and breakage from dryness.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Banned
    Length
    ?/26"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Interesting theory. That might explain why cones do wonderful things for the majority of my hair, but eventually give me sticky, tangly ends (where my hair is more porous due to age and some chemical damage). Looking forward to seeing the poll results.

From Buddaphlyy's post above, I would wonder if it makes a difference if your hair is naturally porous, or porous from damage. Perhaps cones settle evenly into naturally porous hair (working similarly to cones on non-porous hair) and build up unevenly in damaged hair (since the damaged areas are themselves very uneven and certain places would collect more buildup)...
    Last edited by pradabacon; August 5th, 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Buddaphlyy View Post
    My hair is naturally porous, but I just go with it I guess. I have stopped using chemicals but I still have a hard time getting moisture to stay in my hair.

That wasn't my experience at all, it was the exact opposite. When I went cone free is when I had the tangles and breakage from dryness.
    Meh. My theories never pan out

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hootietoot View Post
    Interesting theory. That might explain why cones do wonderful things for the majority of my hair, but eventually give me sticky, tangly ends (where my hair is more porous due to age and some chemical damage). Looking forward to seeing the poll results.

From Buddaphlyy's post above, I would wonder if it makes a difference if your hair is naturally porous, or porous from damage. Perhaps cones settle evenly into naturally porous hair and build up unevenly in damaged hair...
    You may be on to something but maybe it depends on the cone? Because when I was growing put my relaxer (therefore I had naturally porous roots and porous from damage on my ends) the only product that worked for my entire head was L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment which is chocked full of cones.

However, if I wasn't using this I would have to use one product for my roots and a totally different one for my ends to make my hair look alright.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Banned
    Length
    ?/26"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I wonder how good a gauge of porosity the float test is. I just tried it (I'm certain my ends are more porous than the rest of my hair) and what I expected to happen, did happen. Everything floated for a while, then I sort of poked the hair under several times along the length and everything came back to the surface quickly except the ends, which either stayed slightly submerged or floated back to the top more slowly (I did it with three different pieces of my hair).

Whether it's accurate or not, it's pretty relaxing to watch. *lol*

I'm going to leave one soaking for a while without touching it and see what happens...
    Last edited by pradabacon; August 5th, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Banned
    Length
    ?/26"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Buddaphlyy View Post
    You may be on to something but maybe it depends on the cone? Because when I was growing put my relaxer (therefore I had naturally porous roots and porous from damage on my ends) the only product that worked for my entire head was L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment which is chocked full of cones.

However, if I wasn't using this I would have to use one product for my roots and a totally different one for my ends to make my hair look alright.
    Good point. There are so many types of cones with different solubilities...someone needs to do a proper scientific study! My brain hurts now!