Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Porosity: what's up with that?

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Porosity: what's up with that?

Porosity is a big thing over at NC.com right now, and lost of curlies are using it along with texture to find and refine products and technique.

My hair is porous. Probably because I have colored it for ages, and partly because I think that some curlies are prone to being a bit more porous as the hair curls.

For my hair care, I find that I cannot handle humectants in large doses in high dew points. It causes poof and frizz. Light oil sealing on wet hair in the summer helps. I use it in between my leave-in and my styler. Otherwise I hate straight oils lol.

I also like acid rinses every week to help mellow the cuticle down somewhat. For me a lower pH thing calms my cuticle. I use ACV or Bronners Conditioning rinse.

Finer hair that is porous often does well with protein. Fine hair in general is better with protein than M or C, but fine and porous loves it. Even some coarse hair can take more protein if it's porous than if it's not porous. I can handle occasional keratin (and only keratin) in the summer, but I avoid protein most of the winter.

I do have to keep up on my conditioning. I'm prone to quick drying out, and I don't often go more than a few days without conditioner.

For me, acid rinses and adequate conditioning help keep my porosity under control. Nothing can permanently change it, but I know how to work with it.
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Hmmm. I'm not sure about my porosity. My hair loves moisture and loves cones. Not protein though. It gets tangly and unmanageable with too much protein. It takes henna well, sucks up the color. I only get fading indigo at the roots, not the lengths. Medium porosity I guess?Technically I am supposed to have old dye damage so that part of my hair would be more porous than up top, where it is just hennindigo. I'll go do the wAter test tomorrow. I'm too sleepy to go to the sink now.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I dont know what I have. My hair loves and drinks up honey and protien, it loves it! cant live without them. When I use henna it sucks it up too all the color. I cant use cones they tangle my hair and make them dry at the ends.

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

ok I have resistant hair then.

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Thanks ademtce I'm porous.

Aisha that explains your indigo conundrum

ETA: It must be late and I must be over-sleepy. The word "porous" is taking itself apart on me and is starting to look funny. I am starting to second-guess the spelling! It just looks wrong
    Last edited by RavennaNight; August 5th, 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Banned
    Length
    ?/26"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

^^^ That word always looks wrong to me. IMO, the correct spelling is the thing that's wrong.

I know I'm spelling it right, but I still go back and check it against the dictionary or how everyone else is spelling it whenever I have to write it. There are a few words that just do that to me.

Type
    2a/C/iii

My hair is naturally coarse and wavy.
    it has also been bleached, then dyed, then hennaed twice, then dyed on top of that.

It floats.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    Shldr/Clbn/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hairdressers have always told me my hair is very porus. It just soaks up bleach and colour so fast, it often makes them fussy because they have to use to much to soak my hair because it just seems to drink it up and dry faster than they can put it on. Very bad side of this for when I used to colour was that it would soak in fast but also fade fast @_@. Im excited to discover my new hair texture and whatnot when I have all virgin hair.

Length
    15/24/30(?)
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Finer hair that is porous often does well with protein. Fine hair in general is better with protein than M or C, but fine and porous loves it. Even some coarse hair can take more protein if it's porous than if it's not porous. I can handle occasional keratin (and only keratin) in the summer, but I avoid protein most of the winter.
    This corresponds with my experience: my fine hair likes keratin protein in conditioners (not so much other types of protein, however). Megatek has keratin protein in it IIRC.

I think I need to reread Nightshade's article on healing damaged hair...my ends are definitely worse/more porous than the rest.
    (pre-LHC)