Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: toy storage...how do you?

Quote Originally Posted by teal View Post
    Wow! That turned out great!
    Thanks!
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have a question that may have already been addressed in the many threads on this topic.

At the moment all of my sticks, forks, and slides are sitting in one container together. My question is, should I be keeping toys of different materials in separate jars in order to not scratch each other? An example would be keeping wood and metal in separate jars.

My new wooden fork has acquired some (light, not really noticeable) scratches, and I don't know if it's from bumping it while wearing or if it's getting scratched by its neighboring toys.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I stick all of my toys in a wooden jewellery box. They are starting to outgrow it though as my collection is expanding... may need a few boxes, a bigger box or some drawers if I want to add much more. Anyone ever try using one of those clear makeup organizers for hair toys? I was thinking of getting one... I'd probably at least line the bottom of each drawer with felt or velvet though, just to prevent my toys from getting scratched. I like the clear drawers though.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KUEH4TA/...=3GWQ3RV1DDU1R
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BLGPSMQ/...=3GWQ3RV1DDU1R

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

That looks so nifty, Aredhel! I don't use anything like that, but it looks like a good idea, especially if lined with something soft. I would just make sure to keep it in a shaded area of the house because it's clear. Anything sun sensitive will fade through that. On the plus side, you can immediately see which drawer to open rather than going through them all when you want a hairtoy.

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    snip~ My question is, should I be keeping toys of different materials in separate jars in order to not scratch each other? An example would be keeping wood and metal in separate jars.

My new wooden fork has acquired some (light, not really noticeable) scratches, and I don't know if it's from bumping it while wearing or if it's getting scratched by its neighboring toys.
    In my experience metal doesn't play well with wood or acrylics. I half-ruined an acrylic fork by thoughtlessly putting it into a pouch with a metal hairtoy while travelling, and the acrylic now has a large, deep, palpable scratch that can't be removed by superficial polishing. It should be the same for wood, especially soft kinds. Better safe than sorry with your precious hairtoys!

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

That looks so nifty, Aredhel! I don't use anything like that, but it looks like a good idea, especially if lined with something soft. I would just make sure to keep it in a shaded area of the house because it's clear. Anything sun sensitive will fade through that. On the plus side, you can immediately see which drawer to open rather than going through them all when you want a hairtoy.
    Good point! I'd have to keep this thing on my dresser then, instead of beside the window (where I have my hairtoy box now). But yes, that's exactly what appeals to me about the clear box; I can see where things are without having to rifle through it all.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Matcha View Post
    In my experience metal doesn't play well with wood or acrylics. I half-ruined an acrylic fork by thoughtlessly putting it into a pouch with a metal hairtoy while travelling, and the acrylic now has a large, deep, palpable scratch that can't be removed by superficial polishing. It should be the same for wood, especially soft kinds. Better safe than sorry with your precious hairtoys!
    Thank you for the feedback. That's awful about your acrylic fork! Can it be filled in somehow?
    My scratched fork is rosewood, so it's not particularly soft, but I will keep it apart from my metal things from now on. I think my new metal slides might be the culprit, they have more angles and edges to them than anything else I had before that was metal.

That clear organizer is tempting me now Aredhel, I could use a drawer for each type of material. I keep my toys in my closet, so that wouldn't be an issue with lighting either. At the moment I'm using the glass from short pillar candles, but things in neighboring glasses can still bump each other.

Thanks for your sympathy, enting! I've already tried to fix the scratch and only ended up making it worse... It's now perfectly polished again, apart from the one deep scratch which I just try to see as a special feature and not be bothered by it. Other people probably don't even realize it's there, so I still wear it anyway.

The clear organizer is a great idea, and I've been on the verge of getting one a couple of times. Seeing the drawers' contents and not having to rummage through them would be a huge plus, as Aredhel said. On the other hand, the contents' visibility might add to the cluttered appearance of an already visually chaotic room like mine - that's why I chose non-see-through organizers (yes, plural ) in the end. Still the clear organizer would look great as a lively eyecatcher in an otherwise well-organized, uncluttered space or in a closet as enting suggested.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

That clear organizer is tempting me now Aredhel, I could use a drawer for each type of material. I keep my toys in my closet, so that wouldn't be an issue with lighting either. At the moment I'm using the glass from short pillar candles, but things in neighboring glasses can still bump each other.
    That's sort of what I plan on doing too! I figure once my current box can no longer be closed, I'll probably grab me one of these organizers. The smaller drawers would be super handy for the tiny stuff - pins, elastics, flexis and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Matcha View Post
    The clear organizer is a great idea, and I've been on the verge of getting one a couple of times. Seeing the drawers' contents and not having to rummage through them would be a huge plus, as Aredhel said. On the other hand, the contents' visibility might add to the cluttered appearance of an already visually chaotic room like mine - that's why I chose non-see-through organizers (yes, plural ) in the end. Still the clear organizer would look great as a lively eyecatcher in an otherwise well-organized, uncluttered space or in a closet as enting suggested.
    Very true, it would look quite busy in an already busy room. I love the look of wooden organizers/drawers, but I also love staring at all of my pretty toys which I can do with the clear organizers ... so this is a bit of a pickle!

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
    Very true, it would look quite busy in an already busy room. I love the look of wooden organizers/drawers, but I also love staring at all of my pretty toys which I can do with the clear organizers ... so this is a bit of a pickle!
    It sounds like the answer is a custom wooden organizer with clear windows framed in the front so that you get the best of both worlds