Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Biotin causing Acne!

Length
    chin/apl/bra
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Default Biotin causing Acne!

I started taking biotin (2500mg a day) to boost my hair growth. I started this about 3 months ago and have coincidentally have had the worst cystic acne breakouts EVER. I ended up getting a cocktail of prescriptions from the dermatologist to combat the unrelenting explosion. Tonight I was researching acne & acne treatments (I'm truly at a loss as to what is going on with my face) and found a bunch of info about how biotin can cause cystic acne!!!!! Needless to say the bottle of biotin is now in the trash and my hair will just have to grow at it's usual snail pace. Hopefully my face will clear up soon, if not it's back to square one.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has been taking biotin for their hair and is also struggling with breakouts? And does anyone have more info on this? Is it just a coincidence? Thanks!

Length
    22/28/35
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Biotin causing Acne!

Yes! I take 5000mg once daily and for the first two weeks I had some pretty bad acne.
    Cystic & some surface ones thankfully it's starting to clear up, but it is taking a while.
    I totally understand your decision to stop taking it, I was at my breaking point but I decided to just stick it out.

- Marissa

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I started to take Biotin last week, and generally I have clear skin, but I have noticed a slight breakout.

Correlation between the two? Maybe. Or it could be PMS...

Length
    16"/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I think there was a thread about this...or maybe just a general Biotin thread, either way it has been mentioned before and no you are not alone! I was taking biotin but also started breaking out which I finally figured out was from the biotin. I believe some people have had success starting at a lower dose and slowly upping it until your taking the recommended dose but that didnt work for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    ~9/~36/~60
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I've started taking a hair, skin and nails supplement that has (of course) a healthy dose of biotin. I hadn't noticed a bigger break out rate just because I've always had problem skin. Though, I only take the pill once, sometimes twice a week just because I've never been fond of what pills can do to the liver.

I'm curious if my most recent breakout has anything to do with the supplement. >.<

Biotin is supposed to be good for the skin. Maybe you need to take a lower dose.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Are you sure it was the biotin, sweetie? I can't take it because it causes migraines, but if you take brewer's yeast instead you'd get enough biotin and other essential B vitamins as well for clear skin, strong nails, and healthy hair.

Try a facial sauna for the cystic breakouts. Saunas have made my pores shrink almost into non existence. By sweating, saunas will help your skin release those toxins your body is holding in and causing you to break out, so get at the root of the problem.

Length
    10 in/35 in/47in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

What's cystic acne?

My Etsy shop!

Type
    2a/C/iii

That's why I don't take biotin
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia1013 View Post
    What's cystic acne?
    cystic acne (looks really painful)

as to
    usulal acne