Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biotin causing Acne!

Type
    1c/F/i

Default Re: Biotin causing Acne!

I've been taking biotin about a month, as well. Was already taking a B-100 multi, along with a daily multi. Hey, I'm old and a vegetarian, I need all the vitamins I can get! I'm keeping my dose at 2000, and spacing it - once in the morning, once in the evening. Biotin's also supposed to help with inflammation and joint cartilage (for which I already take MSM and silica - my fingers are starting to twist from arthritis), so I'm gonna keep going with it. So far, no horrendous skin issues. BTW, my hair has started growing visibly faster with the biotin ... but then, I'm taking all that other stuff, too.

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I have had acne my entire life, and use pro-active to control it. I started taking Biotin about a month ago, but at 1000mg only. I'll probably up the dosage in another month, and go slowly so as not to shock my system. So far, I've not had any problems. And no, my hair isn't growing all that much faster, but at least I know it's going to be healthier.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Even 1000 mg Biotin has given me acne in the past. Adding zinc seems to have made a difference for me, but you need to be careful when supplementing minerals like zinc. It competes with copper for absorption, and you shouldn't go over 100mg Zn/day from all supplements combined.

I think Igor is likely correct about megadosing a single vitamin not being a good idea. At best, you're secreting a lot of vitamin into the toilet, and at worse you do risk it competing with other essentials for use or harming your digestive flora balance. In any case, supplements should supplement a balanced, nutritive diet, not compensate for not having one.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I started taking biotin a while ago and it made me break out so I stopped taking it. Today I went to health food shop to look for a different supplement and started talking to a lady who works there. She claimed that breakouts occur because biotin has detoxifying effects.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I take a high potentcy biotin and at first it gave me a tiny bit of acne so I started taking zinc which cleared it right up .

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I just started taking Biotin this past week. However, my pills are 5000 mcg not 5000 mg. There's a huge difference between micrograms and milligrams. Are you all really taking milligrams?

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Honestwitness View Post
    I just started taking Biotin this past week. However, my pills are 5000 mcg not 5000 mg. There's a huge difference between micrograms and milligrams. Are you all really taking milligrams?
    I wonder this too. I was prescribed biotin about a month ago to help with my hair growth and she told me specifically to start at 1000 mcg and after 3 months if I see no progress, I can go up to 2000 mcg. She said there's really no medical reason to go past 5000 mcg. So when I come here and see people talking about taking 1000 mg, it kinda makes me go

BTW, for anyone who does know or aren't familiar

1 mg = 1000 mcg
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    18/23.5/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I use it, but i haven't noticed more acne, i already get it once a month, and it hasn't gotten worse that i can tell. It has helped my hair grow though, and also I have new growth that had stopped growing.. Yayyy

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Honestwitness View Post
    Good call.... I mistyped mine at least (forgot the units). It's definitely 1000μg = 1mg.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I was considering taking biotin to speed up hair growth and now I'm not sure I want to do that anymore. I had enough trouble with my skin a few months ago, I don't want a repeat. What else do people take to strengthen hair and encourage growth?