Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fairytailing - when/where did you start ?

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Question Fairytailing - when/where did you start ?

I like to end-up at fingertip with fairytale ends. I not sure however at what length I should start letting my hair fairytale?

Right now am aprox. at BSL with layers starting just past shoulderlength and I'm vitually split and damage free. I vowed not to trim my hair until Jan 2010 but I'm still at a loss what to do next. My hair tends to grow in a full hem which I don't like and which is also the reason I want to 'grow' fairytales so that would suggest just to stop trimming right now. But then I am experiencing less growth ever since my last trim in December 2008 .... I can't imagine it is related but it has me worried about just letting things go from here. So....

Should I just refrain from trimming and start fairlytaling from now on?
    Or should I first even-up the majority of the layers at BSL or Waist and then stat fairytaling?

How did you do it (or how did it happen if not planned)?

This is my hair end of May 2009:
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Fairytaling - when/where did you start ?

At your length, my hair grew with a full hemline too. Light fairytaling started at about tailbone and noticeable fairytaling set in past classic, even with trimming off half of the growth every other month. I guess you donīt need to worry about īneverī developing fairytale ends, just let your hair grow and as it grows it will develope itīs own natural taper. Itīs likely that it will thin out between classic and fingertip and just do what youīre hoping for
    If you want fairytale ends, why cut off the layers? Layers basically are artificial farytale ends. Let it grow, S&D from time to time and maybe a tiny trim once a year to keep eventual īracing hairsī at bay.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I will be interested in seeing the responses to your question. I just quit trimming in Dec but my grown out layers are my fairytale ends right now. I dont know how it would be if I started from a blunt cut. I think it would harder to start from blunt because when it started getting uneven it might be more noticable and make me crazy but since my layers made it look like a false natural hemline it hasnt been so difficult to just let it go. I would suggest the put it up and forget it routine for awhile at least until you see how its going to grow and if you like it. Or, you could do what I did and have false fairytale ends layered in, but I dont know that I would go that route again. I have a very extreme taper and of course the ends are very thin which is going to be a natural by product of fairytale ends anyway but I think letting it do it on its own is a better idea. Still, I love my ends better than if it were blunt at the moment.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I agree with what Finoriel said. Just let it grow and it will fairy tale. I haven't had a cut/trim in 13 years. I grew out from a pixie, not a blunt cut, if that helps.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    22"/hip/tb
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Not sure how helpful this is, but mine started fairytale-ing a little past BSL.
    *******Firefly*******
    2a/F-M/ii ~~ Hip

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Last year, around the time I was getting close to hip length, I trimmed for the last time. Since then it's gotten noticeably uneven at the hemline, but all the ends are still within an inch or two of each other, so it's like blunt fairy tales, if that makes sense. I'm planning on not trimming for a while longer, to see what sort of hemline will keep developing.
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finoriel View Post
    Itīs likely that it will thin out between classic and fingertip and just do what youīre hoping for
    If you want fairytale ends, why cut off the layers? Layers basically are artificial farytale ends. Let it grow, S&D from time to time and maybe a tiny trim once a year to keep eventual īracing hairsī at bay.
    In my previous grow-out attempt I got just past hip with a very full hemline with 2-3 monthly small self-trims. It still grew pretty fast despite the trims, so I really have no clue when to expect natural thinning. There is just this thing about layers... this feeling that one should even them out before growing-out. Rationally it doesn't make sense unless blunt is the goal and since I want to avoid that one... But still..... it feels like I 'have' to do something about it...

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelSpring View Post
    Still, I love my ends better than if it were blunt at the moment.
    I feel the same about my layers, although they are a pia with updo's and braids.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    I agree with what Finoriel said. Just let it grow and it will fairy tale. I haven't had a cut/trim in 13 years. I grew out from a pixie, not a blunt cut, if that helps.
    Growing out from a pixie sort of resembles growing from a layered style, only shorter... I really like the way your hair naturally tapers, it looks so much more natural than a thick full hem, especially on your (and mine) hairtype!

It just feels so.... like I'm forgetting something, not doing something I should do.
    Maybe I'm just weird, maybe I just need some more time to change my (subconscious) mindset...

Thnx for your replies !
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Mine will start fairytaling about a month or two after a blunt cut, no matter the length. That's just how my hair grows, unevenly. Yours seems to grow much more evenly and will just take longer to fairytale.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

^ This happens to me too. My hemline stays even for two months max after trim and that's it. I used to be really frustrated with that but now I'm liking my fairytale ends!

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I had very pronounced, fairy ends last year. I went a year and a half without even a dusting between July 09 of 2007 to around Christmas time of 2008. In July of 2007, I was at lower back length and I was determined to get to waist length ASAP. I finally reached waist length by the summer of 2008, as you can see here:

Since then I've received two trims, about a little less than 1 inch on Christmas and one more dusting on Feb 02 of this year. As you can see now I have a neater blunt one-length line:

I plan on simply letting my hair get to terminal from now on, and whenever I reach that final milestone who knows I might cut it back to butt length which is where I am now.