Thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Lightbulb The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Hi

I looked through the boards and couldn't find a CO thread. I can't run a search with the phrase "CO" because it's too short, but couldn't find any CO threads when I searched with conditioner, wash or washing. So I apologise if there is already one in existence - I promise I tried hard to find it!

I thought it would be good to have a support group for CO washers old and new. I think it would be a good resource for anyone thinking of starting CO washing and also a reminder for existing COers who need to troubleshoot from time to time. Case in point - me, today, totally freaked out by my hair and wondering what the hell to do to fix it. I ran to LHC for help and got it in barrel loads, as always Fellow COers reminded me that a clarifying wash is sometimes necessary, even when using cone-free conditioners for CO. Deep down I already knew that but had completely forgotten it today...

So what do you think? Shall we give it a go? We can share info on CO conditioners, rinses, troubleshooting tips, induct newbies, the whole works!

xxx

Length
    chin/MB/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Ooh goody! somewhere I can post a burning question. It's sort of a 'cone/CO' question actually. I started COing a little while ago and my hair feels lovely. I have just used up the last of my cone filled conditioner.

My question is this, does it matter if the shampoo I use to clarify my hair with (when I switch to non cones) has cones in it? Does shampoo even have cones? <hides whilst everyone laughs at the newbie>

Should I do something clever with baking soda instead?

Thanks, and sorry if this question is in the wrong spot!

I really do love COing, my hair is so much softer and easier to control.

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Newniepg View Post
    My question is this, does it matter if the shampoo I use to clarify my hair with (when I switch to non cones) has cones in it? Does shampoo even have cones? <hides whilst everyone laughs at the newbie>

Welcome!

I would definitely use a cone-free clarifying shampoo. Shampoos can be positively BURSTING with cones! The one I use is by MOP (Modern Organic Products). It's part of their C-System range, it's called Clean Shampoo and it's sulfate and fragrance free. I love it. Always does the trick for me.

Nobody will laugh at you for asking questions like this

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Hi AJoifulNoise. Good to see you here

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Ooh goody! somewhere I can post a burning question. It's sort of a 'cone/CO' question actually. I started COing a little while ago and my hair feels lovely. I have just used up the last of my cone filled conditioner.

I happily and without problem switch between cones and non-cones on a daily basis based on what my hair feels like that day. Like how dry the weather is etc....

I've been using soap based shampoo since August and have had no problems. I'm very happy and have no split ends. I hope you have as good of luck.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Hi and welcome! I also love COishing too! My hair loves it! It is much more easier to manage other than using shampoo for every wash. My hair comes out much softer and healthier looking and feeling. And, I'm at WL!!!

Length
    28 in/28 in/Term
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

You should use something like baby shampoo or some people use Dawn dishwashing soap to strip their hair. Yes, shampoos do have cones in them. If you have cones on your hair shaft then it down't allow moisture into the hair shaft.
    Joliherb
    I'm a believer in Corinthins hair!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GoddesJourney View Post
    I understand. I honestly have no interest at all in adding acidic rinses to my hair care. I have been using CO with Suave for several years now with a light shampooing of the scalp with a gentle shampoo once or twice a week. This routine has been very successful. I really was just wondering if anyone had good alternative to Suave as I can no longer stand the smell of it since they changed the product. I have been trying VO5 but it seems a bit oily a product and I was looking for something lighter and still cheap in price. Do you know of anything?
    I've been using Tresemme with good results, too, but I don't know if the scent will be too strong for you. I think it's as strong as my Suave coconut (just a different smell).

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    I've been using Tresemme with good results, too, but I don't know if the scent will be too strong for you. I think it's as strong as my Suave coconut (just a different smell).
    Does it have silicones and is it waxy? I can flip the cap at the store and sniff it to see if it will be too "perfumey" for me. Is it just the regular one?

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GoddesJourney View Post
    Does it have silicones and is it waxy? I can flip the cap at the store and sniff it to see if it will be too "perfumey" for me. Is it just the regular one?
    I am totally 'cone-free, so no worries there!

This is the one I've been using lately: TRESemme Botanique Nourish + Replenish With Coconut Milk & Aloe Vera Conditioner

You can see the ingredients under the "drug facts" tab.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro