Page 863 of 1005 FirstFirst ... 363763813853861862863864865873913963 ... LastLast
Results 8,621 to 8,630 of 10041

Thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Length
    27/30/35
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Quote Originally Posted by In2wishin View Post
    I think it would be the oils. The ones I use are very light and hair friendly and make up no more than 3% of the total. In a pinch, I have made a very simple conditioner with only BTMS and water and it has never weighed my hair down. In fact, since I started CO washing with my homemade conditioner, my waves have turned into wurls.
    Thanks. I will change the percentages in the recipe and use less oil and probably will use only grapeseed oil because it is light. Gonna make it tomorrow and report my result later

Bra Strap- 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 -Waist - 32 - 33 - 34 - Hip

Length
    27/30/35
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Today I made a conditioner just with BTMS,water and grapeseed oil and it still left my hair greasy looking after the shower. I don't know how you do it, In2wishin

Bra Strap- 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 -Waist - 32 - 33 - 34 - Hip

Length
    fuzz/60/65
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Since BTMS is derived from oils, itself, and is mostly an emulsifier, maybe it is the problem?

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lauramuurr View Post
    Today I made a conditioner just with BTMS,water and grapeseed oil and it still left my hair greasy looking after the shower. I don't know how you do it, In2wishin
    To know for sure, do a small 100 gram batch with 4 grams BTMS and 96 grams water and use that. If your hair is greasy, then you know for sure it is the BTMS. If not, then you know you need to do something different with the oils.

ETA: I have always found grapeseed oil to be greasy. I use a little of it in my lotion but don't use it for hair care.

ETA 2: I always do test batches of 100 grams so I can remember the percentages I used if it turns out.
    Last edited by In2wishin; October 19th, 2014 at 03:45 PM.

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I tried stretching washes and wound up so oily I was still having to wash every other day and didn't like it. I saw the herbal essences naked cleansing conditioner in my target and decided to try it. My scalp and hair love it and I've been using it every other day with the days in between using just conditioner in the shower. My question is will I ever need an actual shampoo because now if I were to shampoo I get dry tangled hair that looks horrible. I tried it one day last week thinking I could use a shampoo day but apparently my hair has gotten to hate sulfates. I love using coconut oil will my cleaning conditioner get that out or will I need to shampoo it out? Also would it be ok to use my cleansing conditioner everyday will this eventually cause build up? Sorry I'm new to the co washing and have had some questions regarding how often and if I will actually need to shampoo, can get away with a sulfate free shampoo occasionally or would be fine coing all the time never using shampoo again?
    Or could this be totally relative to what my hair decides to accept?
    "Unable are the loved to die for love is immortality."
    -Emily Dickinson

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ZeppHead View Post
    I tried stretching washes and wound up so oily I was still having to wash every other day and didn't like it. I saw the herbal essences naked cleansing conditioner in my target and decided to try it. My scalp and hair love it and I've been using it every other day with the days in between using just conditioner in the shower. My question is will I ever need an actual shampoo because now if I were to shampoo I get dry tangled hair that looks horrible. I tried it one day last week thinking I could use a shampoo day but apparently my hair has gotten to hate sulfates. I love using coconut oil will my cleaning conditioner get that out or will I need to shampoo it out? Also would it be ok to use my cleansing conditioner everyday will this eventually cause build up? Sorry I'm new to the co washing and have had some questions regarding how often and if I will actually need to shampoo, can get away with a sulfate free shampoo occasionally or would be fine coing all the time never using shampoo again?
    I just stopped CO-washing because I'm trying to see if it was causing excess shedding. However, I didn't use any products with silicones in them so I never used shampoo. Other ingredients can cause build-up as well but that's more dependent on your hair. GRU is considered to be the CO-washing Queen and she only uses shampoo once a year as a just-in-case. Do you have cones in either of the conditioners you're using? Or do they contain an ingredient known to build up on your hair easily? I know some individuals have issues with polyquats, for instance.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I just stopped CO-washing because I'm trying to see if it was causing excess shedding. However, I didn't use any products with silicones in them so I never used shampoo. Other ingredients can cause build-up as well but that's more dependent on your hair. GRU is considered to be the CO-washing Queen and she only uses shampoo once a year as a just-in-case. Do you have cones in either of the conditioners you're using? Or do they contain an ingredient known to build up on your hair easily? I know some individuals have issues with polyquats, for instance.

Length
    18/30/32
    Type
    2b/F/iii

If you use enough conditioner it should be able to get out the coconut oil. Conditioner soaks up excess oil so as long as you use enough and really scrub and rinse well then everything should be fine.

As to how often to shampoo....I do it whenever I end up having too many horrible hair days in a row. Two weeks ago I did it, and then before that maybe 4 months or so ago. The same thing happens to me that you mentioned - when I shampoo it can make my hair really terribly dry and tangly, so I only do it as a last resort!

Growing since April 2014. Currently around TBL.

Multiple Accounts
    Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

My mom told me my hair looked dull at the crown. Like less shiny. I think its because COing does weigh my hair down a little and she's used to seeing it fluffy. But I LIKE weighed down hair, it makes it easier and silkier. I don't wanna go back to shampoo, it sucks ��

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Well I had to shampoo again. I used my kid's baby shampoo for a gentler option. I kind of want to start over. I decided to use no leave in conditioner containing cones. And yes my hair conditioner does contain cones I use garnier color shield I used it for years so I just continued using that. But as my scalp cleanser I use herbal essences naked cleansing conditioner. I just looked and it does contain dimethicone but it is quite low on the list. ..don't know if that matters. Do you recommend a good silicone free cleanser and conditioner? I think once I stray from cones completely in my hair care I can use a sulfate free shampoo occasionally and hopefully my hair benefits.
    "Unable are the loved to die for love is immortality."
    -Emily Dickinson