Page 540 of 1005 FirstFirst ... 40440490530538539540541542550590640 ... LastLast
Results 5,391 to 5,400 of 10041

Thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Default Re: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

I know this question is going to sound really silly, considering 'CONDITIONER ONLY' seems pretty straight forward, but i'll ask anyway. What is the definition of CO washing, or the definition of shampoo? What I mean by this is that I use a regular conditioner along with a bar a couple days a week, with the following ingredients:

coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, vegan beer, water, sweet almond oil, sustainably sourced palm kernel oil, sustainably sourced palm oil, cocoa seed butter, castor seed oil, caramel color, vegetable based stearic acid.

Considering it doesn't have sulphates, is it still a shampoo? Does it sound damaging in any way?!
    Sorry for what may be a stupid question

Length
    chin/hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    Is there anyopne here from Sweden, using the Coop X-tra 500ml supercheap conditioner for CO-wash? Does it build up in the long run? Thanks.
    I'm in Finland, but we get Coop x-tra too. It's my favourite out of what I've used so far - I dilute it quite a bit, and it gets my hair nice and clean. Diluting it also gets rid of the scent (although I don't find that too bad to begin with). I haven't found that it causes build-up, although if I use it for a long time, I need to alternate with another washing conditioner for a while. I think this is just because my hair gets too used to X-tra till it gets to the point where it doesn't get my hair quite as clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Lippytoes View Post
    I'm in Finland, but we get Coop x-tra too. It's my favourite out of what I've used so far - I dilute it quite a bit, and it gets my hair nice and clean. Diluting it also gets rid of the scent (although I don't find that too bad to begin with). I haven't found that it causes build-up, although if I use it for a long time, I need to alternate with another washing conditioner for a while. I think this is just because my hair gets too used to X-tra till it gets to the point where it doesn't get my hair quite as clean.
    Thank you! I have found that the best for me is probably to use nothing on the length (not even conditioner), just water-only. However, I saturate my length with that cheap conditioner when I put ACV on my scalp because I don't want that to dry out the length if it gets there. So I don't think it will build up on me either, not in the foreseeable future and with the frequency I use it. I just wanted to know what the long-term experiences are, if any
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Spookyghost yep still try that even with oiled hair, a lot of people here have found that applying conditioner to dry hair is the best way to remove heavy oilings (even better than shampoo).

Poppycakes I'm not totally sure how to approach your question, but I wouldn't really count that as a conventional shampoo no. The only ingredient in there I can see which may cause problems is stearic acid, which i think can build up and isn't great for people with oily/greasy scalps. I would say that a shampoo is generally something which is specifically designed around surficants with the intent of removing oils/dirt from the hair - seeing as your bar is based on oils and has nothing in there to strip the hair i'd more describe it as a conditioning bar!
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    10 in/30 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Suze2012 View Post
    What happened with the VO5?

I'm just asking as I have trouble with Tresemme and find it too drying - but as I have it here I'm going to try ways to use up what I have.

Just wondered if it failed in a way that anyone might have a suggestion for?

Or do you just hate it? Lol!
    My hair looks greasier and duller after a shower than it does before! It washes out, but even putting it in it feels dry and ick-like there's no real slip to it. it also never really dries. It just keeps my hair clumpy and weighed down.

I've tried putting it in 5 minutes before I get it and in the shower. This last time I diluted it. It's just no bueno for my hair. I do like the smell, so I'm sad! Also? I'm kind of an idiot and bought 5 bottles.

I was using a John Frieda color safe conditioner when I started and that was brilliant. My hair looked AWESOME. But it's like $6 for 7 ounces. The V05 was .89 cents for 14 ounces I think?

I also got a Pantene that people were raving about, so I'll try that out too...

Length
    BSL/midb/hip
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Is here anyone from Germany or living near Germany who can recommend a conditioner for CO-washing? I think I need a superlight conditioner for my hair and don't know which conditioners fall under that point. TIA
    natt i nord - norwegian for 'night in the north'
    BSL • Midback •
    Waist • Hip • Sacrum | 1cFii | fellow hennahead
    Back to midback!

Length
    13"/39˝"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by natt i nord View Post
    Is here anyone from Germany or living near Germany who can recommend a conditioner for CO-washing? I think I need a superlight conditioner for my hair and don't know which conditioners fall under that point. TIA
    Hi natt i nord (sounds rather Swedish than German

Sante and Balea has silicone free conditioners. Alverde (Glanz-spülung Zitronenblüte Aprikose is better for washing than the richer Feuchtigkeits-Spülung; Aloe Vera & Hibiscus, Granatapfel & Aloe Vera). Aphrodite olive oil-conditioner is silicone free (the bottle, not the tube). Pantene pro V is available in Germany and alot of LHC-people use those. Garnier Fructis triple nutrition is cone free, cheap and works great for cleaning, but it can act very rich and oily to some people. You also have to check the label regularly. They have changed composition at least twice since I started to use it. Coop may have Pantene Pro-V or some Nivea without silicones. I myself am in favour of Franck Provosts conditioners and some Swedish ones that are probably not available in Germany.

And if you cant find anything right now, you can always whip up an egg-shampoo

Check out the haarforum.de or langhaarnetzwerk.de They also have pople there going cone-free. Good Luck with your search!

/ CMG

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by firegypsy View Post
    My hair looks greasier and duller after a shower than it does before! It washes out, but even putting it in it feels dry and ick-like there's no real slip to it. it also never really dries. It just keeps my hair clumpy and weighed down.

I've tried putting it in 5 minutes before I get it and in the shower. This last time I diluted it. It's just no bueno for my hair. I do like the smell, so I'm sad! Also? I'm kind of an idiot and bought 5 bottles.

I was using a John Frieda color safe conditioner when I started and that was brilliant. My hair looked AWESOME. But it's like $6 for 7 ounces. The V05 was .89 cents for 14 ounces I think?

I also got a Pantene that people were raving about, so I'll try that out too...
    I have a couple questions. Sorry if you already gave the information and I missed it:
    --Did you clarify before you tried this? The John Frieda has cones, if I remember correctly, but the V05 does not. It's possible that's the whole problem. On the other hand, it's possible your hair prefers cones, like luxepiggy's.
    --Did you squish and massage it into your length? Your description sounds like either (a) the conditioner isn't emulsifying the oils out properly, in which case it might need to be squished in more and/or left on longer; or (b) it isn't being rinsed out well enough; or (c) your hair simply needs a treatment or coating to add shine afterwards. It's possible following up with a diluted ACV, lemon juice, citric acid, or beer rinse would solve the problem. It's also possible there is something in the V05 like that doesn't agree with your hair. And then again it's possible your hair just craves cones.
    --Do you have a lot of dye, heat, or other damage? If that's the case you may be better off with cones until the damage is grown out/cut off, and after that cone-free conditioners may work differently for you.
    --Does your hair tend to stretch rather than break? If that's the case your hair may be over-moisturized and a protein treatment might take care of it. (At least, I think that's how it works. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong!)

Anyway, good luck on your quest to find the perfect conditioner! I hope it doesn't take too long!

Length
    BSL/midb/hip
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    Sante and Balea has silicone free conditioners. Alverde (Glanz-spülung Zitronenblüte Aprikose is better for washing than the richer Feuchtigkeits-Spülung; Aloe Vera & Hibiscus, Granatapfel & Aloe Vera). Aphrodite olive oil-conditioner is silicone free (the bottle, not the tube). Pantene pro V is available in Germany and alot of LHC-people use those. Garnier Fructis triple nutrition is cone free, cheap and works great for cleaning, but it can act very rich and oily to some people. You also have to check the label regularly. They have changed composition at least twice since I started to use it. Coop may have Pantene Pro-V or some Nivea without silicones. I myself am in favour of Franck Provosts conditioners and some Swedish ones that are probably not available in Germany.
    Of those you recommended sadly only Sante, Balea and Alverde are options for me - the other brands test on animals and that is something I do not want to support. But thanks for the ideas!

[My name is Norwegian, actually And if you know the langhaarnetzwerk, you could probably know me already, I once was there with the name nightbird, but I left the forum 3 years ago. I now own the haarmonie]

Thank you very much again
    natt i nord - norwegian for 'night in the north'
    BSL • Midback •
    Waist • Hip • Sacrum | 1cFii | fellow hennahead
    Back to midback!

Length
    10 in/30 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    I have a couple questions. Sorry if you already gave the information and I missed it:
    --Did you clarify before you tried this? The John Frieda has cones, if I remember correctly, but the V05 does not. It's possible that's the whole problem. On the other hand, it's possible your hair prefers cones, like luxepiggy's.
    I did *not* clarify first. That could well be the issue! Somehow I got that backwards and thought clarifying was for SLS, which I haven't used in years.
    --Did you squish and massage it into your length? Your description sounds like either (a) the conditioner isn't emulsifying the oils out properly, in which case it might need to be squished in more and/or left on longer; or (b) it isn't being rinsed out well enough; or (c) your hair simply needs a treatment or coating to add shine afterwards. It's possible following up with a diluted ACV, lemon juice, citric acid, or beer rinse would solve the problem. It's also possible there is something in the V05 like that doesn't agree with your hair. And then again it's possible your hair just craves cones.
    I've squished and added it in before the shower and left it for awhile and triple rinsed. No dice. It feels horrible even going on, but if that's an issue with cones that could explain it. I could excuse the lack of shine, but the heavy clumpy greasiness not so much. I've done diluted ACV before but my hair HATED it. Perhaps it would be different now?
    --Do you have a lot of dye, heat, or other damage? If that's the case you may be better off with cones until the damage is grown out/cut off, and after that cone-free conditioners may work differently for you.
    no heat damage or other damage that I could think of. I have colored for a year now...so that is possible.
    --Does your hair tend to stretch rather than break? If that's the case your hair may be over-moisturized and a protein treatment might take care of it. (At least, I think that's how it works. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong!)
    no idea! that sounds like a terrible test though-lol! How does one determine breakage vs stretch?

Anyway, good luck on your quest to find the perfect conditioner! I hope it doesn't take too long!
    thank you!