Page 34 of 1005 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134534 ... LastLast

Thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Creature of the Night
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Quote Originally Posted by nyia View Post
    My biggest hair problem is tangles. GAH! I've tried so many different "detangling" conditioners, and although I don't have the huge tangles I used to get, it's still a major problem. Anyone have any more solutions for this?
    I use some extra virgin olive oil after I CO and that has all but solved my tangling problem. And I get TANGLES. My hair can handle quite a lot of EVOO without getting greasy; it just drinks it up.

Length
    1/2"/3.5"/?
    Type
    2a/C/ii

I gotta question.. Is it still necessary or recommended to ACV rinse after CO'ing?

I've been CO washing for nearly a month and I love it. I'll never strip my hair with SLS laden shampoos ever again. My hair is so soft now.
    Tumblr Blog * Etsy Profile * Pinterest * Polyvore
    Shoulder - BSL - Waist - Hip - TB - Classic - Fingertip

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Darscilla View Post
    I use some extra virgin olive oil after I CO and that has all but solved my tangling problem. And I get TANGLES. My hair can handle quite a lot of EVOO without getting greasy; it just drinks it up.
    I use oil after co-ing as well - jojoba tends to be the best oil for applying to damp hair for me. It really helps with the detangling, and somehow helps my hair clump into nice curls as well. EVOO smells a bit strong to me, so I tend to reserve it for heavy oiling pre-COing.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by itsMEowKat View Post
    I gotta question.. Is it still necessary or recommended to ACV rinse after CO'ing?

I've been CO washing for nearly a month and I love it. I'll never strip my hair with SLS laden shampoos ever again. My hair is so soft now.
    No, I don't think it's necessary at all with an ACV rinse. Most conditioners are pH balanced already so you don't have to do anything more. The only other thing that an ACV rinse could perhaps help with is rinse out some residues but I've never found that to be a problem.

Personally, I dislike ACV rinses and hardly ever do one and my hair seems to grow anyway and stay attached onto my scalp long enough

Length
    1/2"/3.5"/?
    Type
    2a/C/ii

Thanks aisling!

Sometimes I do ACV rinse and sometimes I forget until I'm already in the shower, then it's too late (I really don't want to run to the kitchen soaking wet). I was wondering because I haven't really noticed any difference in my hair one way or the other, apart from Maybe an added rinsing of residue, like you said.
    Tumblr Blog * Etsy Profile * Pinterest * Polyvore
    Shoulder - BSL - Waist - Hip - TB - Classic - Fingertip

Length
    17/waist/knee
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Arrow Re: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Quote Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
    ANYway I have stopped using cones, seen a huge improvment in my hair, and hope to gradually grow it out thicker and healthier, using more natural products. I still faithfully CO wash - usually with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, or with Burt's Bees Grapefruit or Green Tea when my hair gets a bit greasy from too long with the HR. I also use Burt's Bees condish as a leave-in.
    Hi rhubarb!

I love strawberry rhubarb pies by the way

I also use Burt's Bees conditioner I also use the shampoo but maybe I should try try the conditioner only Using the Burts Bees Raspberry and Brazil Nut conditioner on my hair past the ears has made my hair so soft and silky I will try conditioner only
    Lady Cocoa Silk of the Longhaired Knights!
    My beautiful dark chocolate colored hair flowing through the winds
    toward the shaded canopy of chocolate trees.

Length
    -/-/-
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tami86 View Post
    Does it matter if you wash your hair with cold or warm/hot water? If it was too hot will it harm your hair?
    Hot water is very drying on the hair so it is better to use a bit cooler water, hot water is also very drying on the skin!

Does CO help clean hair after a night of deep oil treatment?
    Conditioner is very effective when washing out oil treatments, much more effective than shampoo.

How do you avoid getting a 'flat head' from conditioners?
    I think that "flat head" is a sign of either build up, a too moisturizing conditioner or not massaging the scalp enough when washing.

Type
    1c/M/i/ii

Okay. I've read through about 26 pages of this thread (and will finish the rest after I post) but need to ask about this transitional period for CO.

I've been CO for a fortnight now and my hairs really soft and shiny and I like it. I was washing about 1-2 times a week before I started CO and have carried on like that.

I CO'd the night before last using 2 conditioners (L'oreal pink tub one from the Cone free list first, cheap boots coconut one that I've been using 2nd) felt fine, rinsed out okay etc. I do the 1st Conditioner when I get in the shower, treat it as tho I'm washing with shampoo, get on with other shower stuff then sinse off. then I did the 2nd conditioner and left it on while I finished shower stuff off. Rinse. finish.

Today at work my skelp is as itchy as. Its driving me nuts. I rebraided it once so I could comb my head and it felt better for a bit but its back being really itchy again. Its serubumy cos I can see some white on my nails if I scritch my head (tho not horrifically so) I've never had problems with an itchy scalp before so wanted to ask for advice here.

Is this likely to be a normal adjustment effect and just carry on it will pass?

Is it that I shouldnt have put the conditioner on my scalp for the 2nd condition?

Is it that I shouldn't have bothered with the 2nd conditioner at all (I didn't last time I CO'd)

Should I have stuck to using the same conditioner for both conditions?

I don't think I should have to clarify as my hair itself feels fine. I'm not 100% that its only hair build up people are referring to tho. If this was build up wouldn't it have felt bad yestrerday too?

Sorry for all the questions but its being really irritating today, and I'm sat at work so I can't just keep scratching/massaging my scalp or they'll think I have nits or something
    Last edited by Kaeri; October 21st, 2008 at 05:48 AM.
    This week is like last week - I'll plan it as it happens, deal with it when it does and live it 'til then. Next week is still a dream, and in the dream I'm always free.
    Lady Sirona of the Shimmering Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Hi Kaeri. ^_^

I had the same problem, and it went away for me eventually, but some people experience issues with their scalp if they allow the second conditioner to touch the scalp, I believe.

My scalp doesbecome itch from time to time with CO, but only if I leave it in for about an hour instead of my normal two-conditioner rinse, and I think it has to do with the preservatives, but that's just me.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Kaeri, I didn't have any adjustment period to COing. While it was 2 and a half years ago, I remember it as if it were yesterday.

I would question if you're rinsing your hair for long enough. Perhaps your scalp doesn't like the conditioner you're using. Are you leaving the "washing" conditioner on your head long enough for the surfactants to cleanse your scalp?

Myself, I don't do a two-step CO. I use my light conditioner all over my wet scalp, and then use my heavier conditioner on my length at the same time. I put my hair in a little bun and clip it, leaving it until I've done my other washing and shaving.

Then I rinse for a minimum of three minutes.

On rare occasions if I find that I'm having an itchy scalp (which also used to happen in my S and C days), I use a pitcher of water with a small amount of ACV as a final rinse. That takes care of the itchies for me.

Hope I've been of some help.