Page 22 of 1005 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122522 ... LastLast

Thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Length
    7/BSL/IDK
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

bgarrison,

I CO'd last night and didn't do anything this morning before I went to work. No itching, but a small slightly flaky spot in back. I'm ignoring it until tomorrow. But the scalp color is normal.

ETA: Next Day
    CO'd using Suave Coconut and brown sugar scrub. Flaky mess! Did just a partial scalp wash with diluted Thera Neem shampoo and all is well.
    Last edited by Caldonia Sun; August 2nd, 2008 at 12:06 PM.

Length
    sldr/apl+/hip
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I did my first CO today. I've been using Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner, but I was disapointed to learn that the shampoo has SLS in itand I'm pretty sure that SLS makes me shed a whole lot and gives me scalp itches. I really should have read the bottle better Since I didn't want to chuck them, I decided to use the 'poo for shaving and just use the condish for CO. I'm REALLY liking the results! My hair is very soft and thick I think I'm hooked!

Length
    BSL/MBSL/WL
    Type
    2c/F/i

How is Nexus Humectruess as a cond?
    Jasmine

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Am so so pleased - I have been CO-ing for a couple of months. Last night, I had a very very heavy EVOO oiling, absolutely slathered it on.

This morning, got up, did a CO-wash as usual - AND IT GOT ALL THE OIL OUT!!!!! Woo hoo, am so happy. Shampoo NEVER got oil out the way that CO does. And now my hair is drying, it's so soft and non frizzy (and clean!) and it's gleaming and shiny.

I find that it has to be a thinnish conditioner though, but it's not hard to get oil out for me.

Length
    pixie/41''/term?
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Honey39 View Post
    This morning, got up, did a CO-wash as usual - AND IT GOT ALL THE OIL OUT!!!!! Woo hoo, am so happy. Shampoo NEVER got oil out the way that CO does. And now my hair is drying, it's so soft and non frizzy (and clean!) and it's gleaming and shiny.
    I've been wanting to try CO for a while now, but haven't been able to because I've thought the only way to get oil out of my hair is shampoo (I'm also trying frequent coconut oil treatments at the moment), but I'm going to try just CO'ing the oil out of my hair tomorrow morning, we'll seehow it goes! Do cone-free conditioners remove oil as well as the cone ones? I'm using a cone-free almond conditioner atm.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14846&dateline=121016  5357 Spot the difference?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by swanns View Post
    I've been wanting to try CO for a while now, but haven't been able to because I've thought the only way to get oil out of my hair is shampoo (I'm also trying frequent coconut oil treatments at the moment), but I'm going to try just CO'ing the oil out of my hair tomorrow morning, we'll seehow it goes! Do cone-free conditioners remove oil as well as the cone ones? I'm using a cone-free almond conditioner atm.
    My experience is that nothing removes a deep oiling as well as a simple, cone free conditioner. A long soak and it's gone without having to use shampoo and the more light and simple the conditioner, the better it works for me.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by aisling View Post
    My experience is that nothing removes a deep oiling as well as a simple, cone free conditioner. A long soak and it's gone without having to use shampoo and the more light and simple the conditioner, the better it works for me.
    Yes... I haven't tried it with silicone but my fear would be that it might keep the oil in.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by swanns View Post
    Yeah, I find that light cone-free conditioner works the best of all. I slather it on to wet hair in the shower - and I mean LOADS - massage it in a little bit. Then I pin it up for about five minutes while I wash the rest of me. Then I stick my head under the shower for a second, and then 'wash' my hair with the conditioner; it kind of feels foamy, if that makes sense. Then thoroughly rinse out. And honestly, ALL the heavy EVOO oil came out and my hair dried in these soft gleaming waves, no oil at all.

CO worked a gazillion times better for getting oil out that shampoo ever has done, and this was an incredibly heavy oiling - my hair felt wet with oil.

I wasn't sure it would work, but it did - if it hadn't, I would just have bunned it up and called it a very deep conditioning treatment, lol! Nothing to lose by trying, I think.

Length
    pixie/41''/term?
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Thank you, aisling and Honey39! I'm definitely going to CO the oil out of my hair tomorrow morning I'll tell you how it goes!
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14846&dateline=121016  5357 Spot the difference?

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I'm curious if anyone has noticed this with long term CO. When I first did it, I needed something like 10 minutes worth of conditioner-on-hair time to get it clean, then toward the end of probably the first nine months or so, I needed less and less time. I didn't change anything else and at the time, I just figured it was the soft water I had and less sebum production and didn't really mind.

Now, I have hard water and I use conditioner like shampoo-briefly and in very small quantities- and I still get the too clean hair result. At this point, I've started just COing my scalp and doing water only on the length. Is this some kind of freaky, weightlessness-causing build up?

I've used Suave and White Rain, both give me this result. I wet my hair first in warm-ish water, apply conditioner and rinse in water as cold as the shower will provide at this time of year. No leave in, no products except a small amount of vitamin E oil (soybean, coconut, vit E), I haven't clarified since I started COing, updos pretty much all the time except at night when it's loose. I massage/preen once or twice a day.

I don't really...MIND the weightless clean feeling, but it doesn't work well with updos and I'm concerned that there's a bad reason why it's doing this. Any ideas?

I should add that even when I wash often, that's only three times a week.
    Growing my hair back out after some much-needed experimentation and with a color I love!