Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flip your wig to wash :D

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Flip your wig to wash :D

A bit of a problem here.

When I wash, I bend over the tub, flip my hair upside down and wash.

So far, so good. Just a bit of back pain sometimes.

But, my hair likes to get detangled when damp, so I have to detangle, then flip back and detangle again.
    But that can pull hair, and must give it more wear than just detangle once.

How do you do, you who flips your hair to wash (and need to detangle damp hair to get descent look)? Do you detangle before flipping, after or both? I can't finger comb since that always rip hairs off.

Yesterday I tried to wash without flipping, but my scalp did not get clean. Nor hair
    It felt really as I could not massage my shampoo in. Especially not into scalp. When I tried more, it pulled my hair too much so I stopped.
    Not to talk about that /#""W%ĪR" feeling of long wet hair sticking to back.
    Very hard to rinse also.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Flip your wig to wash :D

When washing your hair without flipping - Have you tried lifting your length up, exposing the nape of your neck, and massaging shampoo in from the nape up as well? Sometimes I find I miss that area when shampooing, so that's what I do to make sure I get it. I never flip my hair over... I think I may have tried that once as a kid, and I was so traumatized by the tangles I never tried again.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyViki View Post
    When washing your hair without flipping - Have you tried lifting your length up, exposing the nape of your neck, and massaging shampoo in from the nape up as well? Sometimes I find I miss that area when shampooing, so that's what I do to make sure I get it. I never flip my hair over... I think I may have tried that once as a kid, and I was so traumatized by the tangles I never tried again.
    I tried to lift the length, but no success.
    It felt like that ripped hairs. And it was hard to get my fingers into the scalp anyway.
    And all of my hair was as glued to my back (as usual when down and wet).

Maybe it is just me that is not used to wash like this... I have always washed hair flipped over the tub. Just when I was kid, I washed as a "normal" person. But then made mermaid rinses (bath in tub), and used SLS that I scrubbed in in whatever way. Very tangled afterwards when I had waist length and longer.

But many long haired people here, seems to wash flipped.
    How do you flippers detangle?

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I donīt thing the majority of longhairs washes flipped upside down. I think I recall a poll and it stated that the longer the hair the more people wash it standing and not flipped upside down.
    I wash my hair standing under the shower too, because flipping it causes the exact same problems you discribed. Tangles, overstretched and broken hairs, back pain. Washing the right side up gives me much less trouble.
    And the getting it clean problem is simply due to practice I guess. Just wash that way several times and you will figure out how to get your hair clean with this method .
    Patience and practice young Jedi

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I too HATE wet hair sticking to my back. So I would never ever wash it standing upright. Couldn't get it clean like that anyway.
    Well, this is what I do: I flip my dry hair and detangle, then wash. After washing it is definitely not tangled cuz I only wash the scalp and it's hanging freely over the tub. I wrap it with the towel while it is still flipped and keep it like that for a while.
    I remove the towel bending forward and then start to loosen the hair right at the scalp with my fingers, lifting and shaking it slightly. I don't fingercomb at that point. Then I flip my hair back, standing upright and also bending backwards slightly, lifting the hair from the nape of my neck to prevent bad tangles there. Now I look a bit wild, but not very much so. After a while, when my hair is only damp, I start fingercombing it a little. That's all.

Length
    10''/APL/Term.
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I do wash flipped upside down over the tub on occasion. I usually towel turban right from the bent over position and then detangle later after it's flipped into position.

Hayley
    If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident.
    -Hei

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finoriel View Post
    I don´t thing the majority of longhairs washes flipped upside down. I think I recall a poll and it stated that the longer the hair the more people wash it standing and not flipped upside down.
    I wash my hair standing under the shower too, because flipping it causes the exact same problems you discribed. Tangles, overstretched and broken hairs, back pain. Washing the right side up gives me much less trouble.
    And the getting it clean problem is simply due to practice I guess. Just wash that way several times and you will figure out how to get your hair clean with this method .
    Patience and practice young Jedi
    Maybe I should pratice. Must also practice to not wet down the whole bathroom (have tub, no shower "thing").

But it's hard to get control over the whole hair when it is on back. Flipped; I can see all of the length, can easily dip it into stuff or get herb paste on.

I would like to find that poll... will search after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulbahar View Post
    I too HATE wet hair sticking to my back. So I would never ever wash it standing upright. Couldn't get it clean like that anyway.
    Well, this is what I do: I flip my dry hair and detangle, then wash. After washing it is definitely not tangled cuz I only wash the scalp and it's hanging freely over the tub. I wrap it with the towel while it is still flipped and keep it like that for a while.
    I remove the towel bending forward and then start to loosen the hair right at the scalp with my fingers, lifting and shaking it slightly. I don't fingercomb at that point. Then I flip my hair back, standing upright and also bending backwards slightly, lifting the hair from the nape of my neck to prevent bad tangles there. Now I look a bit wild, but not very much so. After a while, when my hair is only damp, I start fingercombing it a little. That's all.
    I detangle when my hair is dry and flipped. Then wash and put into towel for at least 30 minutes.
    Then detangle flipped, flip back and detangle again. Using a wide tooth comb.
    I detangle VERY gentle, can't hear any snaps or feel any stretches (I know how it feels to stretch some hairs).
    But it are getting harder to do the longer my hair gets.
    Not detangling with wide tooth comb, makes my hair look wild and frizzy when I comb it later on.

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

I don't wash flipped, but perhaps something that might work would be like... this?

I do sometimes wash my hair in the sink like that, and then undo the wet braid and detangle any bits then.

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

'Til just recently I had to wash flipped over the sink, because our shower didn't work and there was no way I could bend over our tub.

I detangled first, then flipped and washed, then flipped back and waited until it was almost dry to detangle again. For me, any time I have to move my hair from side-to-side or front-to-back I get a fresh batch of tangles, so I hear your pain.
    Lady Saphira of the Crystal Wings in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HotRag View Post
    I detangle when my hair is dry and flipped. Then wash and put into towel for at least 30 minutes.
    Then detangle flipped, flip back and detangle again. Using a wide tooth comb.
    I detangle VERY gentle, can't hear any snaps or feel any stretches (I know how it feels to stretch some hairs).
    But it are getting harder to do the longer my hair gets.
    Not detangling with wide tooth comb, makes my hair look wild and frizzy when I comb it later on.
    What happens when you only detangle after flipping your damp hair back? Have you tried this? Thing is, my hair actually isn't tangled much after washing when still flipped over. So for me it seems to be unnecessary stress to first comb it in one direction and then flip it back and comb it in the opposite direction.