Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conditioner only washing= more acne?

Length
    Pixie/19 in/BSL

Default Conditioner only washing= more acne?

Ack!

I can typically keep my facial acne under control with benzoyl peroxide. But since I've started conditioner washing, with a once-weekly sudsy shampoo, my acne has been worse. My hair looks great. My skin? Not so much.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm adding salicylic acid lotions to my routine now.

Length
    Pixie/19 in/BSL

Default Re: Conditioner only washing= more acne?

(oh, and the salicylic acid lotion is for my skin, not my hair!)

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

The only thing I can think of is your hair leaving residue on the pillowcase at night, this might contribute to the acne. Did you tried to switch to another conditioner? Maybe your skin reacts badly to that particular conditioner, not the washing method.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Banned
    Length
    ?/26"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Have you changed anything else about your routine? I've noticed a couple more spots than usual since I started CO, but I also started using coconut oil at around the same time, so I don't know which (if either) is responsible. Coconut oil is apparently comedogenic. Check the ingredients in your conditioner, too. Maybe there is something in it that will strike you as being the possible culprit. You might try a different kind.
    Last edited by pradabacon; August 10th, 2009 at 08:54 AM.

Length
    Pixie/19 in/BSL

Thanks!

I'll wash the pillowcase more often, and switch the conditioners around a bit and observe the changes.

Banned
    Length
    ?/26"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Good luck! I hate those darn things! I hoped I would quit breaking out once I was in my 30s, but no such luck.

Length
    14.5/33/44
    Type
    2c/M/iii

The one bit of advice I can offer is to make sure you wash your face AFTER you've rinsed your hair. I know I've made the mistake of doing it before, and that was when I had acne problems.

If you're already doing this then I have no clue.
    Last edited by silencepainter; August 9th, 2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas but musicians paint their pictures on silence." - Leopold Stokowski

Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I think these guys have hit the nail on the head. Until/if you find the specific ingredient(s) that are causing it, then washing your face and pillowcases is definitely the way forward.

Maybe the conditioner is building up on your face, and leaving a thin layer of waxy substance behind, i'm sure that would cause some problems.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I know how you feel. I have very oily hair and not washing it every day gives me acne. Usually I only get acne right before menstruating so it's really frustrating to have it at any other time. I switched to sulfate free shampoo a few days ago so I can feel good about washing and avoid the acne thing. I find that my hair is a little less oily (probably because my shampoo is no long drying out my scalp and causing it to overproduce) so my acne is going away. I disagree with the pillowcase thing. If I miss a day of washing, I get acne. If I wash the next two days and not change my pillowcase, it goes away. Oily hair can cause acne. I had a friend in high school who had to keep her hair up all the time because it would give her acne on her back and chest. Poor thing.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    chin/waist/term
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

I do not know about acne on the face but when I condition the length of my hair I cannot let it go down my back. My skin is pretty oily and if I do not condition with my hair over my shoulder, my back breaks out. I think mine just has to do with the extra oil and clogged pores.