Thread: What's The Difference?

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default What's The Difference?

Alright im weighing some options here and could use some advice from the more hair wise amoungst us. To get to the point (for once hehehe) i am wondering what the damage differance would be between dying hair with chem dye or lifting dye with color fix/baking soda or the like?

I have some seriosuly bright blonde roots (gratefully toned down a bit my molassas) and lots and lots of leftover dark brown chem dye length. I cant use chem dye anymore but the thought of lifting color seems alot more damaging than depositing it. But since im fairly sure i used a permenant color (or at the very least if it was a semi perm used it many many times full length) it has to lift a fair bit to deposit anyway right? So would removing some color be all that much more damaging than if i had continued to color?

Yes i know this is starting to turn into a wookchuck would chuck wood thing lol so i will stop with that
    now and move on. Im also wondering if i went the removing color route would i be able to even out whats left with say molassas or herbs like sage? I seriosly cannot use chem dye so i would rather have roots to deal with then dalmation head.

Thanks for listening to my ponderings,
    Natalia

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Whats The Differance?

I have no idea, but bumping this thread since it's about to skip off the first page and you don't have any replies yet.

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Whats The Differance?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon Hair View Post
    I have no idea, but bumping this thread since it's about to skip off the first page and you don't have any replies yet.
    Aww hanks Cinnamon hair

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: Whats The Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    Alright im weighing some options here and could use some advice from the more hair wise amoungst us. To get to the point (for once hehehe) i am wondering what the damage differance would be between dying hair with chem dye or lifting dye with color fix/baking soda or the like?

I have some seriosuly bright blonde roots (gratefully toned down a bit my molassas) and lots and lots of leftover dark brown chem dye length. I cant use chem dye anymore but the thought of lifting color seems alot more damaging than depositing it.
    I've never personally used colorfix, but as I understand it, using ColorFix/ColorOops once and using chem dye once is probably about the same. Like you say, it's the lifting part that's damaging, not the depositing. Most permanent chem dyes lift with peroxide and then deposit color.

So if you're weighing ColorFix on your dark length vs blonde dye on your dark length, I think it's about the same, damage-wise.

Blonde dye might give a more attractive result, since if the length has been permanently colored over several times, it is probably quite bleached out under the chem dye, and if you just remove the dye without adding a toner you might get quite shocking yellow ends.

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Whats The Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    I've never personally used colorfix, but as I understand it, using ColorFix/ColorOops once and using chem dye once is probably about the same. Like you say, it's the lifting part that's damaging, not the depositing. Most permanent chem dyes lift with peroxide and then deposit color.

So if you're weighing ColorFix on your dark length vs blonde dye on your dark length, I think it's about the same, damage-wise.

Blonde dye might give a more attractive result, since if the length has been permanently colored over several times, it is probably quite bleached out under the chem dye, and if you just remove the dye without adding a toner you might get quite shocking yellow ends.
    Thanks Roseate ! I would never ever dye my hair blonde though. Even though its my natural color is look horrible on me. I look ill when i have blonde hair lol ironically more so than when i am actually ill with dark .

I would only use enough color fix to get to a darker medium brown never lighter than that. Though i can see how the yellow ends sinario can happen lol. I worry about testing it on my own head hair like a streak becaus ei have no method to match the dye i have if i hate it. So i am going to have to colelct enough full hairs to make a decent swatch. With my shedding thats not hard just convincing myself to confront it long enough to make one might be. Thanks for the advice

Length
    16"/16"/36"
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: What's The Difference?

I would say go the Colorfix route. It's not as damaging as you might think, just don't use that third bottle that comes with it. I've used it a few different times before, both on virgin and hennaed hair (not to remove the henna, but to remove chemical dye under the henna) and all times it has worked great and left my hair feeling nice. And you never know, you might like the resulting color after dye-lift so much that you won't feel the need to color back over it. But as someone who has tried to "fix" their chemical hair color with one dye, thinking it would lift the old color and deposit the color I want... No, that didn't work. Colorfix worked.

I cannot use chem dye as I get TERRIBLE reactions, lost all my hair even once , but colorfix was fine and my hair was very nice after

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MandaMom2Three View Post
    I cannot use chem dye as I get TERRIBLE reactions, lost all my hair even once , but colorfix was fine and my hair was very nice after
    Whew thats a refielf about color fix! Im so sorry you had such a terrible reaction though . My shed certainly increases but the worst is that never ending itch proptly followed by sores (wheater i scratch or not) that begin to ooz and scab ick!