Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: oils: how do you KNOW it's doing anything?

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I first noticed the benefits of oils after I did a overnight oiling with EVOO.I gradually starting using first jojoba and then coconut.I haven't used other carriers but it did wake my hair up again when I started to slowly add EO's to my oilings.

I had much softer and less frizzy hair with that first oiling.I also put down the hairdryer and straightner balm.So,it's hard to tell what made that big difference.I just know I'll use oils from now on irregardless what initially gave my hair that softness.
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Mine simply feels much better when I oil than when I don't. Due to some medication I was on about a year ago, much of my length is brittle and dry. I know I should probably cut some of it off, but I can't bear to lose that much length, so I oil. Because my hair is super fine I have to CO every other day, so I do a heavy, heavy oiling the night before each of my washes, plus light oilings in between. This has kept the length manageable, reasonably healthy looking and will hopefully let me reach my goal of waist length sooner rather than later!!

January 2016

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I think the best way to determine what oiling does for your hair is to stop doing it and see if there is a difference. I note that my hair feels rougher and drier and looks more fly-away when I don't oil it. Every hair has a tendency to twirl off in its own direction without oil and aloe vera gel. I get a cloud instead of smooth, shining hair.

Length
    shldr/bsl/clsc
    Type
    1a/1b/C/i

Well, I am still not sure if oiling actually does anything to my hair, I tried light oiling, deep oiling and all I can say is can't really see much difference beyond the first time. Anyone else have this problem. The first time I oiled, it felt wonderful, then blah, nothing
    Last edited by addikted; March 17th, 2008 at 08:18 AM.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

well, i depend on CO.....without it i CANNOT detangle my hair without ripping them all!!!
    It smoothes fly aways and adds instant slip and shine and SMELL! : )
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by talullah View Post
    And all oils are full of essential fatty acids, which are supposedly good for the hair's health. You can argue that most oils don't penetrate the hair enough for these EFAs to actually have any effect--honestly, I don't know the answer to that, nor do I care. I'll still use oils either way just because they make my hair feel wonderful.

Bear in mind, the study that proved coconut oil penetrates hair as opposed to other oils only tested coconut, mineral and sunflower oil.

Given that i'd say that it would be a bad idea to discount the possibility that other oils do the same, or at least to some extent.

I found sweet almond oil fantstic for heavy oilings and found it had a very softening effect. So if it's working for you keep at it i rekon
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

The basic answer to your question is the same answer to the same question for any product or treatment. When you use the thing in question, your hair is "nicer" for any value of "nice" that you happen to personally appreciate. Curlier, straighter, softer, more controlled, more full, etc.

When I first tried oils, I did a series of very heavy oil treatments - as much as my hair could take. I found that at first, it was impossible to wash out. The oil "clung" like mad. But as my hair got more moisturized, it washed out more easily. And it tended to cling to the areas that needed it most - feeling greasy in those spots even after washing. Eventually I reached an equilibrium where I could oil heavily, wash the next day, and my hair would be soft and nice but not oily.

I didn't experiment with post-wash leave in oils until later - I try to limit myself to one experiment at a time, and that was the experiment that seems relavent to your question. Do with it what you will.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My hair is alot softer. I also do my oiling when my hair is damp and use a max of 2 drops on my hair so it doesn't get oily.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I use oils before and after CWC. It makes for much softer hair. Although, I'm still experimenting.

But the real difference was in how my hair behaves. It isn't piecey and frizzy anymore.

Elenna
    Last edited by Elenna; March 10th, 2008 at 11:37 PM.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks for all the wonderful replies and ideas!

A question about EVOO...for a daily use, is that applied like other oils, a couple of drops rubbed between the hands?

I haven't really done any pre-wash treaments other than coconut milk twice, and I haven't done any heavy oilings. Maybe I should try an oiling and maybe jump start my hair.

The c. oil, which I apply to damp hair, definitely makes it easier to detangle. I gave up the blow dryer last summer, but have used it briefly once or twice, in a pinch.

I should take an "after" picture sometime. It's about 6 months since the first picture I took of my hair. Maybe it's better than I thought: I started back on a "conditioner only" wash a couple of days ago. Yesterday one of the old gals at the care home got chatting with me then started stroking my hair (hehe - I guess that makes me one of the "don't mind" category) and she said, "my, it's getting LONG isn't it?? And it's so SOFT!!" She made my hair day
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics