Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help fix my itchy, oily scalp

Length
    BSL/Waist/Clsc
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Question Please help fix my itchy, oily scalp

Help! My scalp is itchy and oily. It's flaky too, but not terribly so.

I suspect I might be reacting to shampoo chemicals, but then wouldn't it be worse on Day 1 after a wash? It's worse on Day 2, and I rarely make it to Day 3. It certainly looks greasy and gross on Day 3. I could never leave the house on a Day 3.

I have some Loprox shampoo that my dermatologist prescribed when I was in his office for something else (Get those black moles looked at, everyone!) It works really well for Day 1, but Day 2 is no different than any other shampoo.

I have used 100% natural shampoos. I've tried 2 or 3 varieties of Aubrey Organics, and I really like their 'Calaguala Fern', but I'm still itchy and greasy on Day 2.

My goal is to only wash my hair twice a week because I know water is damaging, and besides my hair doesn't seem to need conditioning as often as I do it. It's my scalp that's so demanding!

Suggestions? Comments? Interpretive dance?

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Please help fix my itchy, oily scalp

You may simply just have to shampoo daily. Many of us have found that going without daily shampooing leaves to a itchy oily and occassionally cradle cap like syndrome. Stopping washing for a few days, a few weeks, or even a year did not "solve" the problem.

Try finding a gentle, natural shampoo, with minimal ingredients and try washing daily to see if it alleviates the problem. Not everyone's hair can handle stretching out washes, I am one of them.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    15"/14"/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Well, like Kirin said, not everyone can stretch washes. I need to wash every other day, and sometimes daily. To my knowledge, water is not damaging. In fact my hair loves water! However, hair is more fragile when wet -- so just be gentle with it and you shouldn't have any problems.

I don't know what your hair type is, but it looks like it might be fairly fine. Fine hair usually needs to be washed more often because it shows grease more quickly than coarse hair. When I first came here I tried washing only once per week and my hair was miserable. Then I tried twice a week and it was just as bad. Eventually I realized that to keep myself and my hair happy I needed to wash more often. I wish I didn't have to, but that's just the way it is.

So I would suggest washing more often (maybe every other day?) and if your hair likes it, keep it up. I hope this helps! Let us know how it works.
    June 2009 length shot:

My goal is to be at waist length by my 19th birthday in 2011!

Length
    BSL/Waist/Clsc
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Hmmm. I do currently wash it every other day. I only get to Day 3 when I'm being very lazy and hermit-y. That isn't too often.

I like the idea of finding something without many ingredients. I shall look next time I'm at Whole Foods. Do you have any suggestions, Kirin?
    I guess I could rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar, too. I haven't done that in a few years.

I was just hoping to wash less often because my hair is waist length, and it takes several hours to dry. But now that it's summer, that's less of a problem. It's just a nuisance, as you know.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I have this problem more in the summer than the winter. I attribute it to sweating more when I'm at work/riding.

I still wash every other day, but I find that if I use a clarifying shampoo too much, it's causing itchy problems. I switched to using a dandruff shampoo with zinc and it's MUCH better. I highly recommend using head and shoulders to see if it helps. It's not drying at all for the ends. I also find after washing and conditioning, a cool rinse really eases the itchies.

I also use a wonderful salon shampoo from the A/G line, and is available at beauty supply shops. It's a dandruff shampoo and WONDERFUL. Cures itchies and leaves hair gorgeous!

Good luck
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    BSL/Waist/Clsc
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Question Re: Please help fix my itchy, oily scalp

Thank you!

I just thought of another concern when I was in the shower. If I condition my hair every day, I think it would get limp/over conditioned. If you wash hair every day, do you use conditioner each time?

any suggestions for organic shampoo to help itchy and oil scalp?

mythical equestrian Lady Godiva's Avatar
    Length
    54in./75in./74in.
    Type
    1a/F/iii

My scalp is oily, too, and stretching the time between washes - trying for 5-6 days - never worked for me. I simply had super greasy hair more than ever, especially with so-called "gentle," non-sulphate shampoos. My schedule is similar to the OP's.

I also found AO shampoos did little to really clean my scalp, but I wound up having to wash more frequently to compensate for their inability to get rid of the oil and itchiness. In the long run, a good, strong SLS or SLthS shampoo may be kinder to your hair because you don't have to shampoo, scrub and detangle daily, as was my case with non-sulphate shampoos. Way too much effort and detangling!
    My Articles: Log Roll Tutorial - original site, Infinity Bun Tutorial - original site

Floor Length Hair: 1a F iii --- avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I read that Bay (Pimenta racemosa) essential oil could be helpful. It is also said to promote hair growth. I have never tried it though, but maybe others here have experience with this oil? Could not find any thread on the subject.
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I used to have trouble with this, but CO'ing has pretty much taken care of that for me. My scalp still gets greasy, but not as quickly.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14